Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #19
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I did a double-take when I first got into the car and noticed no protective plate on the raised foot-rest area. I was like WTF!!! I wonder if I could velcro/attach something to that spot, without it being a potential safety hazard of it coming off and getting caught up under a pedal or something. I don't want to win a Darwin Award or anything, after all

As it is, I have changed my sitting position with that leg/foot, so that I don't put my foot on the baseline carpet/flooring there.

-
Yeah, unless it's securely screwed down, I wouldn't risk it.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #20
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Like/Dislike Update:

For some reason, I really miss the trunk/hatch release (on my old 2000 Accord) down near where just the fuel cap release is on my Yaris. I'm still reaching down there to release the hatch lid on my Yaris, and then muttering some profanities when I remember that it is not there.

Other Updates:

My Toyota Yaris 2015 UVS100™ Silver Heat Shield (UV11265SV) by Covercraft® finally arrived today via UPS. It had been back-ordered, probably because the Yaris isn't a high demand car. It is a perfect fit for the inside front windshield of the 2015-2016 (as well as the 2012-2014). It is sturdy/rigid and won't sag/bend, and looks good in the window. I remember having a cheesy cardboard fold-out sun-shield on my CRX Si back in the 80's, with a full spread of Cheryl Tiegs (in her prime) wearing a swimsuit lying on the beach.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/13...978_poster.jpg

I finally got my tag/registration completed today after sitting around the DMV for over an hour, and received my license plate. Apparently I significantly overpaid my sales tax during purchase in CO, and the difference (~$500) was enough to pay for two years worth of tag/registration here in AZ without shelling another dime out. w00t! Now I need to find a decent license plate frame to go with the rubber license backplate/cushion that I purchased to sit between the plate and the car body.

Now that I have removed the temporary CO paper registration tag from the inside of my back windshield, I can finally make an appointment to get my windows tinted!

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 09-04-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #21
Kalispel

Update 10/25/2015 - 2.5 months into ownership of my 2015 Yaris SE (White/Manaul) thus far. Odometer reading is ~2700 miles.

Minor quibble aside, I'm still loving this car. Since my initial shock of not having an armrest, I've actually come to think it's better that way in this particular car. The gearbox is a bit further from dash than it was in my Accord, and I feel like I can sit in a more natural position without an armrest there between the seats. Also, the way the door is designed, it's actually like having an armrest on the other side, if you are so inclined to want to use it that way, and sit/drive accordingly

Average MPG doing my daily work commute, and same bucket list of errands each week, meets my expectations. Except for hopping on highway to zip down a few exits here and there, it's all regular in-town Phoenix, and north-Phoenix suburban type driving.
With A/C ON full-time = ~38 MPG
With A/C OFF full-time, Windows UP (which I did all last week) = ~39 MPG

I finally had my windows tinted this last week. I went with SunTek CXP/35 on all side/back windows (I prefer overall uniformity with window tint). It looks good, and it helps reduce the previously-blinding sun-glare on the touchscreen to manageable levels during those intense sun up/down times of the morning/evening. The CXP grade of SunTek tint has excellent heat-blocking ability, so I doubt I will ever have to run my A/C past position 1 or 2 again, even in the brutal AZ summers.

At the same time my windows were being tinted this last week, I also went ahead and had 3M UV/Protective film installed on both headlight housings. I still plan to get the front windshield done with 3M Crystalline/90 tint early next year, and perhaps have a protective film put on the front hood/etc.

I installed my Visual Garage 040 Super-White Shark Fin Fractal antennae this morning, after washing/detailing my car. Reception was the same as my black OEM "R/C" antennae, as I rode around on a few errands this afternoon. In my opinion, the color-matched shark-fin looks a lot better than the OEM "R/C" antennae on the 2015 Yaris SE. I was actually surprised how much better I like the look of it on the car. Very sharp!

I also installed my Arizona rear 'vanity' state tag/plate today ('VITZ RS'). The black frame I was going to use didn't look right (to me) on the white car (it reminded me of those thick black framed eyeglasses that I hate, which are apparently back in style again. Ughhh). I decided that it looked better (and less busy) just attaching plate with no frame. I mounted thick rubber washers on underside of plate where top screws go in, and used a thick swath of all-weather-mount Velcro on plate bottom to secure plate firmly to car with zero movement/rattle. I might try a white or pewter type license frame down the road, but for now I like it the way it is. On a side note, I really wish ALL cars had both top/bottom screw mounts on rear plate area.

I will take some pictures and post them later.

Last edited by Kalispel; 10-25-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #22
ern-diz

What did the tint end up costing you?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #23
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
What did the tint end up costing you?
It was $300 for SunTek CXP grade tint on all side/back windows, and another $75 for putting the 3M UV/Protective film on the headlight housings.

The job that they did was Grade-A, and it is no wonder that they have nearly 100 5-star ratings on Yelp.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #24
ern-diz

A lot better than the $700 or so you were quoted originally! Still a bit more than I'd expect, but it sounds like a case of 'you get what you pay for' in terms of quality of materials and workmanship.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #25
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
A lot better than the $700 or so you were quoted originally! Still a bit more than I'd expect, but it sounds like a case of 'you get what you pay for' in terms of quality of materials and workmanship.
Yeah, they initially quoted around $500 for 3M Crystalline/40 tint on the side/back windows only (and over $750 including front windshield Crystalline/90), so I switched to the SunTek CXP/35 which is 95%+ as good in terms of heat reflection. They are an "upscale" shop here in the north-Phoenix area, mainly catering to people driving higher-end luxury/sports vehicles. I'm sure that they found my obscure little Yaris an amusing change from what they are normally used to doing
Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #26
Kalispel

Most Recent Pics (w/Parking Lights On) - taken when I arrived home from work this evening

Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #27
Kalispel

Several More (Parking Lights Turned Off)

Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #28
ern-diz

Big improvement, IMO.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #29
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Looking good Kal!!!!
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #30
Kalispel

Thanks.

The last major cosmetic mod will be replacing the 16" OEM alloy wheels sometime in 2016, and perhaps up-sizing from 195/50 to 205/50 tires at the same time, if there are no stock clearance/technical issues involved.

I also want to put a TRD rear sway bar onto the car, if it would actually be a tangible handling/body-roll upgrade to the 2015 SE version (?).
Old 10-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #31
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Took my 15 Yaris SE into Toyota today because the weather molding strip was loose, and came off in the car wash. They have to order a new one. He wasn't the least but surprised. He said ALL the new Toyota's are having that problem. They aren't tight. He said it happens to the Corolla, Camry, Rav4,Avalon....all of the new Toyota's. Keep an eye out for that. It's a quick fix. But Toyota needs to address the problem when it's their entire lineup. Pain in the ass more than anything.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #32
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
Took my 15 Yaris SE into Toyota today because the weather molding strip was loose, and came off in the car wash. They have to order a new one. He wasn't the least but surprised. He said ALL the new Toyota's are having that problem. They aren't tight. He said it happens to the Corolla, Camry, Rav4,Avalon....all of the new Toyota's. Keep an eye out for that. It's a quick fix. But Toyota needs to address the problem when it's their entire lineup. Pain in the ass more than anything.
When you first brought this issue up in the forums here, I went out and checked mine. They seemed very snug, and there was no give to them when I tugged and pushed on them.

So far the only flaw I have found with my car is the upper front door frame rattle (drivers side only) that manifests itself whenever I go over a jarring section of road, of extended choppy roads in general. I don't hear it much when my radio is on usually (volume lvl 25 is my standard setting), but I am still going to see about getting it addressed during my first service interval (5000 miles). Something must not be secured/attached properly in that area, since the other side doesn't make a peep under the same conditions.

Other than that, the car seems extremely well-built - though I noticed that the general design of the rear bumper could be better in terms of making it feel more solid and like it is firmly attached to the car (instead of just clipped on). A couple of the automatics around here that I checked out on the lots before I purchased my car, didn't even have the bumpers secured-on properly, and were hanging loose around the wheel well sections (clips not engaged). That's one of my minor nit-picky quibbles now - especially after reading about the Yaris owner with the 2012-2014 who indicated that his bumper just flew off his car one day at interstate highway speeds. When my car first arrived on the truck, that was the first thing I checked (make sure all clips secured properly on rear bumper, and fitment was correct).
Old 12-18-2015, 04:47 AM   #33
skocka

Drives: 2015 Yaris, 1.3 VVTi, 6MT
Hi, does your rear (trunk) door close correctly? I noticed that I have to slam it quite hard to get it closed. Sometimes it won't close at the first try. I don't know if the door is lighter that the one of my ex-Fiesta, or something is wrong with the lock, but I've never had this problem before. Or maybe I am just lame
skocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #34
Kalispel

The only times i have used my Yaris hatch thus far is for my weekly grocery runs. It closes easily and snugly with minimal force applied, so I'm guessing that you must have a defective locking mechanism or the hatch alignment/fitment is slightly off. I would take it to the dealer and have them look at it while it is under warranty.

After my old 2000 Accord was rear-ended in 2012, and the trunk lid was replaced, the trunk lid never opened/closed correctly or sounded right again - and bugged the hell out of me every time i had to use it. Before that, the trunk was effortless to open and close. The highly-rated body shop who fixed the car tried to realign it a couple of time for me (at no charge), but it just never felt the same again.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #35
texascolt45

Drives: 2015 yaris
damn that seems expensive for window tinting to me.mine here in hot as #@*^ Texas was 199.but I love my little Yaris.
texascolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:38 AM   #36
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by skocka View Post
Hi, does your rear (trunk) door close correctly? I noticed that I have to slam it quite hard to get it closed. Sometimes it won't close at the first try. I don't know if the door is lighter that the one of my ex-Fiesta, or something is wrong with the lock, but I've never had this problem before. Or maybe I am just lame
No, we are not lame. Mine is exactly the same and I have read about others. I thought it was only a matter of adjusting the lock but that doesn't seem to be possible. I suspect we have to accept it.
My previous Mk 2 Yaris was far better in this respect, the hatch closing easily and with a reassuring clunk.
I suspect yours is French built too?
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote