Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
PowerSet

Drives: 2007 yaris 4dr sedan
Electrical/ground gremlin? 07 5spd 1.5l

Hey everyone, I’m a new member, but Ive browsed through the forums many times to get info in the past, but I cannot find much info about the grounds on this engine, and what I do find leads to dead links and dead images.

The problem,
The car will currently start (90% of the time) runs and drives perfectly fine 90%,

If you turn on the lights, the stereo may cut out, the dash lights may dim, turn on interior lights and the tach/speedo lights dim significantly.

If you are stopped, taking a sharp turn, the power steering will cut completely out, as well as the stereo, interior lights etc.
When this happens, the engine is still running perfectly smooth and does not hesitate or stall.

I checked over the connections, everything seems tight, I added a ground strap from the engine to the chassis just for kicks.

Recently I changed the starter, it was fairly easy so I don’t imagine that was it, but the problem is new.

Just before that, the clutch was replaced by a friend of mine, he’s been a mechanic for decades, so the engine was recently semi-dismantled and a lot could have been forgotten.

This problem did first occur during heavy rain shortly after my sister apparently took off her plastic splash gaurd under the engine because it was very broken, I doubt it’s related, but I don’t know how sensitive these cars are, and I figure I might as well give as much info as I can.

I saw something about a braided cable ground from the engine, but the pictures were dead and I did not notice anything when poking around in the engine bay.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, it’s an 07 5 speed 4 door sedan with a 1.5l engine my sister bought new, and has not maintained too well.
PowerSet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Clean battery terminals and connectors. (They can grow a hard non-conductive grey crust...different from all the cool green and blue stuff.)
Run multimeter leads in the accessory port (historically "cigarette lighter socket") and see what the voltage is doing...the cup holder by the A-pillar is made for a standing up multimeter. (Yeah, that's not a little door to one of the car's many glove boxes.)

edit: oops. don't know anything about sedan dashboard
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Belt tight enough?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
First i would check to see if your battery is fully charged an fully being charged by the alternator
Old 11-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
PowerSet

Drives: 2007 yaris 4dr sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Belt tight enough?
the belt was squealing a few weeks ago and was loose, retensioned it until the noise was gone, but I will check it again, I have not tested battery or alternator, battery is only about two months old, no battery light while running and it appears to start with plenty of power(when it starts)

I will try to test the alternator and battery when I can, and will re tension the belt.
PowerSet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Sounds like a voltage drop somewhere. I would check the battery connections as mentioned, and that the 2 cables attached to the positive cable are tight. Also make sure the larger ground cable is attached to the transmission.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #7
bairjo

Has the engine been spray cleaned with water recently? Have you had any accessories or gadgets that use power added to the car in the past?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
I had all of those issues previously. I cleaned the battery terminals, which had visible corrosion and it cleared the issue.
Leegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
...and that the 2 cables attached to the positive cable are tight.
Hmmm, where have I heard about the before?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote