Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Greddy Turbo installed

I got the Greddy turbo kit in. Took a little tweaking, but I got it to fit. I was having issues with the hood not closing at first, so had to cut the charge pipe and re-join it with a Home Depot rubber coupler.

I'll post more details next week, as I'm heading to Quebec tomorrow morning, and won't be around until next week.

Boost FTW!!! I haven't gone WOT only 1/2 because I don't have a boost gauge in yet and only up to 3500 rpm, but HOLY TORQUE!!!

The Emanage was pretty easy to install. It was not plug'n play, it was solder in. But I can do wiring in my sleep.

The compressor surge sound when I let off the throttle sounds like Darth Vader. LOL. The kit does not come with any form of BOV.

Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo

Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
where is that TRD strut bar from in the 1st picture???

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
baller.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Actually, it just kinda hit me - isn't this the kit for the xB? Did you have to do any additional fabrication (such as on the downpipe)?

Oh, and did I mention:

Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Focus:
It has to be from an xA/xB, Greddy never made a kit for the Yaris

FYI, just an observation, since this kit fits the older Yaris it does not mean it will fit the newer Yaris. Just from looking @ pic 2 & 3 the firewall & A/C line position is completly different from ours. This is not to say that its not worth a try......
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Focus:
It has to be from an xA/xB, Greddy never made a kit for the Yaris

FYI, just an observation, since this kit fits the older Yaris it does not mean it will fit the newer Yaris. Just from looking @ pic 2 & 3 the firewall & A/C line position is completly different from ours. This is not to say that its not worth a try......
its for an xb, but he's in an echo hatchback....

a/c lines don't matter if you havent got any...! but thats likely just my car...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
2manywheels

Drives: 09 YarHB
you should have saved yourself bucks and bought a REAL Greddy kit..
(please note the sarcasm... hehe)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Yaris-1NZ...item2308563b4b
2manywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Props
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Barber, turns out this kit was actually from the '00-'02 bB. And I got a cheap boost/vacuum gauge from Princess Auto. It turns out the turbo is under-boosting. It should be boosting to 0.5kg/cm2 (7.111psi) but only ramps up to 5psi by roughly 2500-3000 rpm and holds all the way up.

It's weird, it doesn't feel like it has as much top end as I had N/A. But it might be my butt dyno not feeling the ramp up in power as the RPMs build because there's SO much more lower end torque.

Lag is minimal, at lower RPMs and I don't even notice any shifting at higher RPMs.

Oh, and the TRD 3 point brace was a dealer option when I bought the car ('05 Echo HB). I also have the 8 point rear under brace (that is now a heap of rust).

I'll be back on Tuesday next week to go into detail of the install
Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
SweetRS

Drives: 2006 Yaris Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manywheels View Post
this kit is made by Zage....

http://www.zageturbo.com/pro/procar.asp

the thrid one from left is for yaris..
SweetRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Zage makes Greddy knockoff kits i believe.

Also you may be choking up top too, have a leak in the downpipe/small exhaust piping/ have pressure drop from the awkward charge piping and lack of intercooler if there is none so the charge may just be getting too hot. I don't know how much this all applies to the small turbo at only a handful of PSI, but it still heats up regardless..
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manywheels View Post
That kit is for the older Yaris. Might fit with modifications. Like Iv mentioned before Greddy never made a kit for our Yaris.....
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
thebarber
daily driver

you might also need more exhaust to get the top end back

iirc, you only had a borla axleback from toyota, right? you need fatter pipe aft of the downpipe, 1.75" isnt going to cut it.

i noticed BIG differences in the top end after increasing the piping to 2" after the resonator...
Old 07-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
2manywheels

Drives: 09 YarHB
Sorry Guys, The ebay link was sarcasm.. Suggesting he should have bought the ebay one.. :P
FYI
It looks like CRAP!! Not to mention the seller hasn't got great feedback either.
2mw
2manywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
you might also need more exhaust to get the top end back

iirc, you only had a borla axleback from toyota, right? you need fatter pipe aft of the downpipe, 1.75" isnt going to cut it.

i noticed BIG differences in the top end after increasing the piping to 2" after the resonator...
The instructions for the install specifically say, "Don't modify the exhaust" and I don't see why I wouldn't make any more power at 5psi of boost than when I was N/A.

Also my check engine light keeps coming on after a while of non boosted driving. I don't know what's up with that, as I don't have anything to check codes with ATM.

I don't feel any more power from 1 psi to 5psi of boost, and the engine seems to not make any more power past 4000rpm. I'm thinking now that it might be due to the heat. It's been pretty hot and muggy here (30+°C with high humidity).

For those with Greddy emanage blue, what wires do you have hooded up? I have the wire for throttle position, but it said not to hook it up. There's also an output wire that isn't hooked to anything. All that's hooked up are the 4 injectors, the sensor ground, the chassis ground, 12v+, and the MAF is cut, half going into the emanage and the other half going back to the ECU. I thought there would have been some kind of control over the ignition timing too, so it would pull timing under boost. There's also a yellow BOOST plug on the emanage. What's that for?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Oh, and I just came back from a big 900km road trip (I only have just under 1000km on the turbo). Still got 39mpg US. The CEL came on just before I got going, about 10km in, so I pulled the EFI fuse and reset the code. It never came back on until I was leaving to come back home 600km later. I'll get the code checked in the next couple of days. Hopefully it's just some stupid evap code or something.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

^ My neighbor had a code reader, so it turns out it's only EVAP codes. Probably due to the valve opening under boost, or near boosted conditions. P0441, P0442, P0446 and pending codes with the same ones. So I think I'll install a check ball in the vacuum line to prevent boost from getting to the EVAP valve. I'm just glad it wasn't a "system too lean" or something engine related.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #18
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Glad to hear you found the issue, that was an issue on the Allroad we were working on, an Evap line needed to be added before it boosted correctly and made power.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote