Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
YarisVIP
#itasha_yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatchback
Question E-brake wont work? Help!

Hello everyone! Im new to this forum but ive had my Yaris since 07. not sure if someone else had the same problem and posted it here in the forum but im so busy with work I dont have time to look everywhere for it...so heres the problem...

Ive put on new rear brake shoes and drums, and im sure i put everything back the way it used to. now, within the first week or so the e-brake worked fine and it would engage the rear brakes when I pull it. Now the second week, when i park the car the e-brake goes all the way up and doesnt engage the rear brakes....

I thought I did something wrong so, I opened it up again, checked all the components carefully and it seems like everything is there the way it should. So I put it back altogether and adjusted the brakes again, ALSO I bleed my brakes just in case....... within two weeks time, it happened again.....

Is this common? or did I miss anything or forgot something? Or the e-brake just needs an adjustment?

Thanks everyone!
YarisVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I hate to say, "take it apart again", but take a pic with the drum off, each side. Post them here, and I'm sure you will get an instant response...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
E-brake is driven by the cable, so bleeding won't help them. Follow the cable from under the ebrake lever to the Y and then out to the hubs to see if the cable is still intact. From there, have someone pull the lever while you watch with the wheel and cover off.