Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
magoins

Drives: 2007
07 died and wouldn't start

I was going home and my 07 three door auto Yaris died and would not restart. There were two bar on the gauge showing. I had my wife bring some gas and added it to the tank, still wouldn't start. I put gas on the air filter and it started and ran for a minute or so. I checked the fusses. We towed it home. I went out a couple hours later to see if I could hear the fuel pump and the car started. I have started and driven it about a half block with no problems. I drive about 200 miles a day for work and can't have this happen again. Has this happened to anyone else? Could this be the filter or pump? Thanks Mark
magoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
wonder if your ecm needs to be reset.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
magoins

I just drove the car about 2 miles with no problems. It was 107 yesterday, could that have something to do with it?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Have you checked the battery terminals and voltage?
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
magoins

When it died it would turn over but not start. I just drove the car 17 miles with no problem. What relay runs the fuel pump?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
biggyjiggy

Drives: 07 Red Yaris LB
i kinda have the same problem but mine is for a manual.
biggyjiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
victorddr

Drives: 07 Yaris CE
First, Check when you turn the ignition key to run position (Not to start the car), see if you can hear buzzing noise to confirm your fuel pump is working.

Second, crank the engine see if it turns to eliminate starter or battery concern.

Third, disconnect fuel line from the fuel rail, have a clear bottle ready and get someone
to turn the key to run position (Priming the fuel). Check if there any fuel come out from the fuel line. If it does, use the bottle to collect the fuel sample.

* Smell the fuel sample to see how strong the gasoline smell, if it not too strong you may have bad fuel.

** Let the fuel sample sit for half and hour, if there is water in the fuel, you should able to see two separated layers, top is gasoline; bottom is water.

If that's the case, you will need to drain the fuel tank and fill it with good gas.
victorddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
^does sound like a fuel problem, when you fill the bottle also be sure there isn't any contaminates to cause injector problems.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Funny, it was quite hot here yesterday and when I turned over my engine, it cranked for like 5 seconds before it started. This has happened on two occasions. As you'll recall, the Yaris starter motor "self cranks" when you turn the key. It's not controlled by how long you hold the key on. I wonder if it's vapor lock or heat related...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
magoins

I drove the car today at work 311 total miles no problem. I am going to keep the tank 1/2 full or above at all times.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Lux

Drives: NCP91
The next time the car does not start, and after you've verified that there is good spark, hit your fuel tank a few times from underneath. Sometimes a bad fuel pump's rotor/commutator can land on a dead spot and so the pump would not operate even when fed 12 volts from a good EFI relay.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
did you find out what the problem was??
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
bikeman111
I've made a post!

Drives: yris sedan
my experience with my fiancee`s 08 yaris 5speed sedan.If the car is allowed to idle for at minimum of one minute it always starts fine,if you shut it off without letting it idle 95% of the time it will crank,cough and die like its not getting fuel.I pop the hood when this happens and pull the fuel pump fuse and refit it a couple times then it starts and runs perfectly.The faster its shutoff the longer it takes to get it running again..possible the time I spend playing with fuses is coincidental??
The fuse panel under hood has been replaced and seems worse since
bikeman111 is offline   Reply With Quote