Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Dropping the tansmission?

Does anyone know the best way to drop the transmission so that I can change the clutch?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I would check out the lightweight flywheel DIY (CCI?) for some info. Not sure if the pictures are still available, but the instructions were pretty thorough. I'm going to be in the same boat here in a few weeks (once the LSD shows up) and I get the franken-box put together.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I've done 4 engine swaps so far, and a clutch change, drop the crossmember when pulling the tranny, it'll save you a bunch of time. Disconnect the strut tops, calipers, and steering rack(getting the steering shaft back in place is a complete PITA its easier to pull the rack). That will give you complete easy access to the transmission without having to wiggle around things getting the transmission back in place.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

I ordered a Flywheel and clutch and for some reason the clutch got here but the flywheel has disappeared in the mail. apparently is is too much effort for the mail man to walk up to the house on a Saturday and he just left a slip in the mail box for me to drive over to the post office and get it myself. but wait the fun doesn't stop there, at the post office they can't find it.

so what i have is a lazy postman, and then incompetence in putting the package where it should be.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Old 03-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
^ the USPS's system has been broken for years. I honestly try to avoid using them for anything "important".

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

flywheel just showed up randomly. talked to the seller yesterday and as far as he knew it hadn't shipped. then all of a sudden it shows up today from ups.

apparently that other package was just the post man being afraid of the puppies in the yard and then he cam back later and dropped of the applicable package even though he wrote a 2 where a 7 was on the slip. well now i have my clutch and my flywheel, and will be starting on the swap in the morning.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

so now i have a springless clutch disc kit(it was only a few dollars more than a replacement) including throw out/release bearing. and a Competition clutch Flywheel, weight 8.46lbs. should make for an interesting drive.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
wow, a springless clutch! Hope its streetable.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
wow, a springless clutch! Hope its streetable.
I was wondering if someone would catch that. ironically i could have got a springed clutch for 4 dollars less but only 4 where listed when i looked or it bugged and only showed the 4.

I'm also changing the fluids to Royal Purple 75w-90.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan

I had the same thought, but figured you knew what you were doing. =)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

I'll debate whether the clutch will be changed or not depending on the damage. there is a good chance that all of my clutch slip is from hot spots in the flywheel. if that is the case then it will be the same clutch but change the spring plate and bearing.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #12
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

update, got it appart, 6 hot sports in the flywheel, and the clutch down to the rivets,less then .010'' or surface contact. so "stage 4" clutch it is. and 8.64 lbs flywheel.

oh and we just took off the front nose, crash supports forward and dropped the whole engine out. I have pictures but i dont remeber how to resize them to fit the parameters to post on here.

Last edited by Golddeenoh; 03-20-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
oh and we just took off the front nose, crash supports forward and dropped the whole engine out.
I've been seriously considering this myself. Did you have to empty the AC system?
Quote:
I have pictures but i dont remeber how to resize them to fit the parameters to post on here.
You can use Windows Paint--just resize using "pixels" instead of percent.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Yes we took down the AC system and capped it. that way we wouldn't bend the aluminum lines and brake anything.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Click go advanced>Manage attachments. Then upload. Or sign up to photobucket. Easiest way to post pictures. Just copy the IMG link and past it here.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Flywheel with at least 6 hot spots
Old 03-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Mmmm toasty!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #18
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

F1 stage 4 Clutch kit

it was actually pretty easy to take the front clip/nose from the fenders forward and drop the engine out. took about 4 hours of labor, 3 if we didn't stop to analyze and recheck stuff to prevent binding up on exit.

Dropping the k-memeber

The engine was really easy to get out. love working on modular vehicles. and two of us can pick up the power-train assembly and move it about pretty easily

Clutch kit installed with the 8.46lbs flywheel

notice all thge pink on the head and block, yea, that was a gross coolant leak that was leaking down in the the transmission bell housing and providing my clutch and flywheel with some lubrication. it was coming from that hose clamp just on the edge of the picture, changed to a wider/strong/better clamp, no more leaks. no wonder it slipped and died.

putting it back in.