Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
ttpmurphy

Drives: White 2011 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Post Transmission Flush / Coolant Flush at 60k?

Hey all,

I drive the 2011 yaris sedan, and my mechanic is recommending a coolant and transmission flush at 60k.

My understanding is that the Toyota super long life coolant should be good until 100k (I can just buy the stuff myself and top it off right?) so I think I should decline that service but I'm not sure about the transmission.

The maintenance schedule says nothing about changing transmission fluid at any mileage. All it ever says is to 'Inspect" it. How often should this be done?

Thanks for the help!
ttpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Never flush a Toyota transmission. I worked for a Toyota dealer for 10 and a half years and this was big no no. We always just drained and refilled the fluid.

I would check the fluid as often as you feel comfortable doing it. Probably every 50k miles would be good, if you are not driving the car super hard.

I wouldn't worry about doing a coolant flush. We were never big on services Toyota does no recommend.

I got promoted within the company and now I am at a Chrysler dealer and had a Valvoline rep there I dealt with years ago trying to talk me into more voodoo juice products. I told them we don't do services that are not recommended, like flushing every 30k with valvoline fluids so they can lifetime warranty the trans.

He told me the same speal that all manufacturers are just saying not to do this so, until the OE manufacturer comes out with their own fluid.

I proceeded to ask him if he could name a single franchise that now has their own trans cleaner, conditioner, etc. He couldn't. There is a reason for that.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
In a bit over 300,000 miles on my blue Yaris......zero coolant flushes.....SE Texas summers....also summer driving in Arizona, New Mexico, Southern Nevada, and deserts in Southern California. Most I ever did....bought one boyyle of the OEM 'Toyota pink' radiator fluid and had to add about half of the bottle.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:32 AM   #4
ttpmurphy

Drives: White 2011 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Thanks everyone. Everything you both said makes sense. I will get the transmission drained and refilled then and nothing else. I'm also in Southern Nevada so it's good to hear you never had an issue.

Cheers for the help! Saved me $260.
ttpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Good advice!

Take note anyone searching for help on this!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Also make sure you use OE fluids, not a/m catch all fluids. Can't tell you how many times I have seen goofy things happen because someone used a "fits all fluids" fluid from a local parts store.

If you look at those fluids, even the ones that say they will work for WS fluid, it will say not to use it in the hybrids. That is because it does not have the same properties as the WS fluid, that the hybrids require. True WS fluid is nonconductive. I don't like compromising on stuff like this.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post
Also make sure you use OE fluids, not a/m catch all fluids. Can't tell you how many times I have seen goofy things happen because someone used a "fits all fluids" fluid from a local parts store.

If you look at those fluids, even the ones that say they will work for WS fluid, it will say not to use it in the hybrids. That is because it does not have the same properties as the WS fluid, that the hybrids require. True WS fluid is nonconductive. I don't like compromising on stuff like this.
I do use the cheap Wal-Mart windshield wiper fluid, but I use OEM (OEM spec re oil) re all other fluids.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
Lux

Drives: NCP91
If, especially, Toyota Motor Corporation specifies intervals for clearly indicated maintenance services, there is highly likely to be profound evidence to support it. Toyota engineered your vehicle, not General Motors. Ethylene glycol coolant is organic by formulation, therefore it is susceptible to oxidise over time and use, eventually acidifying as the glycol base decomposes into acidic components. Corrosion resistance on metals, such as aluminium, will diminish. Genuine Toyota Super Long Life coolant is capable of extending the typical service life up to 100'000 km, but that is stretching a coolant's chemical tolerances. Want to see what happens to the cooling system components when services were neglected? Google DEX-COOL.

Transmission services should have been performed when scheduled to do so. Typically, these services are scheduled before the fluid becomes excessively contaminated by wet clutch friction material. When contaminated with clutch deposits, the fluid becomes abrasive, further accelerating wear. In foreign material blockage scenarios, wherever the fluid travels is where the contaminants would have been deposited. If your transmission fluid smells burnt and has a fine, grainy texture to the touch, it is overdue for a service, regardless of whether you have reached the interval. Severe hydraulic pressure, shock loads, and heat are natural environments for automatic transmission fluid, so it must be serviced regularly. Yes, it is possible to render a transmission unable to drive on its own power if the service is performed on an automatic gearbox that has suffered severe neglect. That is death by severe neglect, not new fluid. Aside from load or abuse, transmission design is a substantial factor in determining service intervals and total longevity. Some gearbox designs could outlive a century of driving with regular service. Others (Subaru, Fiat, GM, Chrysler, Hyundai) may not survive 10 years of normal use.

'Schedule' means to perform before or upon arrival of due time. Not when you feel like it. The same logic supports why other cars' timing belts are changed before their typical 96'000 km intervals.

Your manufacturer-supplied maintenance schedule needs to be adjusted according to severity of use, sometimes referred to as severe duty schedule. It is modified such that the intervals for every service other than oil changes are significantly condensed to account for harsher use. I would say that 90% of all automobiles in North America qualify for severe duty schedule. For instance, instead of the 192'000 km interval for spark plugs, mine are replaced every 30'000 km due to sustained high RPM use.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, flush, transmission