Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
shangapol
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 26
Exclamation Fuel Gauge Problem

Hello Enthusiast

These last few days my fuel gauge went crazy. suddenly, indicating that I have half a tank and in a blink indicates that I have no gas and suddenly begins to rise the fuel level and back down again.

WTF?? Please Help me with this.
shangapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,452
The fuel sender uses a resistive strip for determining the fuel level. The picture below shows one remove from the tank. Contaminants in the fuel can cause the issues you are seeing. Sometimes the issue will fix itself (after 20 or so cycles of the gas tank). You can pull the sender assembly and try cleaning the resistive strip with electronic contact cleaner.

Sender - Gauge.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
shangapol
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 26
Ok, Very good idea but, How I go There??
shangapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,452
Take a look at the "Fuel" section of the repair manual. The access panel for the top of the tank is under the rear seat.

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli
 
mazilla's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jacinto California
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Take a look at the "Fuel" section of the repair manual. The access panel for the top of the tank is under the rear seat.

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/

Where would one get that tool to remove the retaining ring? I'd like to give this a whirl since my gauge is also malfuntioning. Like most of the others it now shows two bars when it's actually empty...I've gotten pretty close to forgetting to fill up a few times already.
__________________
-Type 07 FFL-



My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Where would one get that tool to remove the retaining ring? I'd like to give this a whirl since my gauge is also malfuntioning. Like most of the others it now shows two bars when it's actually empty...I've gotten pretty close to forgetting to fill up a few times already.
The SST is a Toyota tool, so you could probably order it from the dealer for a handful of cash. I used a dead-blow hammer and a piece of oak to spin mine off, when I removed Crashy's.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
othater
 
Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal, SanGabriel
Posts: 52
clean resistive strip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The fuel sender uses a resistive strip for determining the fuel level. The picture below shows one remove from the tank. Contaminants in the fuel can cause the issues you are seeing. Sometimes the issue will fix itself (after 20 or so cycles of the gas tank). You can pull the sender assembly and try cleaning the resistive strip with electronic contact cleaner.

Attachment 42518
CTScott,

1) On cleaning the resistive strip.
Whats you opinion on using fuel cleaner, Redline in the gas tank to possibly clean the strip.
2) I replied to another thread where the person reset the ECU. Would that re-learn the gas sender to gas bars?

Thank you for your knowledge.
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by othater View Post
CTScott,

1) On cleaning the resistive strip.
Whats you opinion on using fuel cleaner, Redline in the gas tank to possibly clean the strip.
2) I replied to another thread where the person reset the ECU. Would that re-learn the gas sender to gas bars?

Thank you for your knowledge.


I am not sure about if fuel system cleaner will help or not. I have a gut feeling that it will considering that I had a Subaru that had a fuel gauge issue, which eventually healed itself.

Resetting the ECM will not help, since the ECM doesn't see the fuel sender, just the cluster ECU does. You can try disconnecting the battery to reset it, but it actually reinitializes the fuel level every time you shut the car off.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
othater
 
Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal, SanGabriel
Posts: 52
Thank you for the quick reply CTScott.
What about running high octane.
I think I'll try that with the cleaner.
I will try fuel cleaner on the next couple of fill ups and report back.
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by othater View Post
Thank you for the quick reply CTScott.
What about running high octane.
I think I'll try that with the cleaner.
I will try fuel cleaner on the next couple of fill ups and report back.
From the other thread, I take it you are having the issue where you run out with a couple of bars still showing on the gauge?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd Turbo
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,749
Not sure it related or if I'm just posting useless babble, but once in a blue moon my fuel gauge will take almost 10 minutes to go from empty to full after a fillup. Even if I turn the car off, it'll be at the last spot it left off when I turn it back on. I have the '05 HB with tach and digital fuel gauge.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Not sure it related or if I'm just posting useless babble, but once in a blue moon my fuel gauge will take almost 10 minutes to go from empty to full after a fillup. Even if I turn the car off, it'll be at the last spot it left off when I turn it back on. I have the '05 HB with tach and digital fuel gauge.
How the cluster ECU deals with the raw data from the sender is a bit of a mystery.

I have done much experimentation and I can watch the raw input value (0-255) from the Cluster ECU on my YarGauge and see it go from 13 with the tank full (it actually hits that value at 11.2 gallons and then stays at that value until gas overflows the filler) to 211 at empty (there again, it hits that value with 2.41 gallons left in the tank, and remains at that value until the engine sputters).

Watching the value while driving is interesting, particularly with the tank at 1/3 full or less, as with the lack of baffling, the value swings +/- 2 to 3 gallons. So, the cluster ECU has to do some serious filtering to figure out what to display while in motion.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd Turbo
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,749
I guess it just takes the average value over a set time.

I'm starting to think if a weak battery might have caused it to do this. I've certainly never run out of gas with a 1/4 tank still showing. On my cluster the last bar flashes as the fuel warning. There's no extra light that turns on. And when it does flash, I'll usually put in between 44-43L the tank is 45L according to the manual.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
othater
 
Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal, SanGabriel
Posts: 52
2 bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
From the other thread, I take it you are having the issue where you run out with a couple of bars still showing on the gauge?
Yes, It's happen twice.
I've read a few different threads on this problem and looking for a
possible solution before actually having to replace the fuel pump.
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by othater View Post
Yes, It's happen twice.
I've read a few different threads on this problem and looking for a
possible solution before actually having to replace the fuel pump.
Do you have access to a multimeter? With one you can check out the fuel sender from the connector on the instrument cluster.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
othater
 
Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal, SanGabriel
Posts: 52
Yes I do have a digital multi-meter.
If you direct me to which connecter and what I should be reading.
Pull the instrument cluster out and measure across the connector. volts, ohms?
battery connected or disconnected.
full tank or when it get close to the two bars or both.
Sorry for all the questions.
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by othater View Post
Yes I do have a digital multi-meter.
If you direct me to which connecter and what I should be reading.
Pull the instrument cluster out and measure across the connector. volts, ohms?
battery connected or disconnected.
full tank or when it get close to the two bars or both.
Sorry for all the questions.
Ohms, battery connected is fine, but ignition off.

Pull the right side connector from the cluster and measure the resistance of the violet wire on pin 3 of the right side connector of the cluster (black wire in pin 1, blue in pin 2, and then the violet is pin 3). Put one lead on the violet wire and the other on ground (you can either touch the metal frame under the dash for ground or can use the brown wire on the opposite end of the connector from the violet one).

The resistance goes from 13.5 ohms with a full tank to 414 ohms with and empty tank. If the tank is half full you can have someone else rock the car side to side while you are taking the measurement to see a wide part of the range. Typically a fuel sender that needs cleaning will have a stretch that reads as open (as if the two leads are not touching anything).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
wajeehr
 
Drives: Toyota Vitz
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lahore Pakistan
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Where would one get that tool to remove the retaining ring? I'd like to give this a whirl since my gauge is also malfuntioning. Like most of the others it now shows two bars when it's actually empty...I've gotten pretty close to forgetting to fill up a few times already.

I am also having exactly a similar problem like yours these days ..
can you tell me how you solved it ?
Thanks
wajeehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel, fuel gauge, gas, gauge, sedan

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miles per tank joeharth Fuel Economy Forum 61 07-08-2010 07:37 PM
Launching @ 4Krpm problem .... need tips Parmas Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 12 12-30-2009 09:11 PM
The last gas question Tonavi DIY / Maintenance / Service 56 04-27-2009 08:40 PM
Low fuel light falkor_99 General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 35 08-24-2007 03:20 PM
Fuel / Temp / Mileage Gauge - Special LED Readings? bigsky2 General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 3 05-31-2006 09:04 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.