Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Don't get your cousin to repaint again...

Glad you're Ok, keep up posted
^^^^^ This.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #20
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Best I could gather from the 3 digit date code was late 1999 at best. Picked them up in unused condition stored in a cool dry windowless basement about 4 years ago for $50. They weren't recapped tires and the only name was wintertrax and country of origin was Korea. Heading today to get an estimate from the highest shop in town and going to have the guy who did my roof do the repairs and then got a couple recommendations for the custom paint. Thank goodness i put a rider on my insurance to cover the custom work.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:15 PM   #21
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

Right. I meant if you get a blowout and youre weaving in and out of traffic, its going to be worse thsan if you are just driving along.

I ride motorcycles and if anything happens, you get hurt/die so Im very careful.

I was referring to driving sanely or not will still have a big chance of a blowout/thread separation with really old tires...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 PM   #22
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I had not even thought of checking the date code when I purchased them, and the shop that mounted and balanced was a little hole in the wall place. I know discount tire or les schwab would have looked at the date and refused to mount them. They had no visible defects, and I just had both front axles and front brakes done last month and other than use wear looked fine. Needless to say I'll be checking the date code or just getting new from now on for any tires.

I'll probably not drive the yaris on snowy days anymore and were getting less and less snow each year. For the two real snow days we had this past winter I'll just take my wife's rarely driven '95 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 and that will be getting new tires in the next couple of months.

As for the front bumper it looks like I may have secured 1 of the 3 (mine was one of them) that Garm imported from Thailand about 5 years go when a member in California PM'd me so now just need to get shipping squared away and my kit will match. I found a painter in town who'll do the custom paint on the bumper and fender and I'll have him finish the last side skirt as well. Seems like after the repair work is done she'll finally be fixed right and have the full kit on and the kit ordeal started back in 2009. Then the supercharger is next
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #23
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:

Right. I meant if you get a blowout and youre weaving in and out of traffic, its going to be worse thsan if you are just driving along.

I ride motorcycles and if anything happens, you get hurt/die so Im very careful.
Luckily I was on a straight of way when it happened. I'm sure if I was carving corners it would be a different story!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #24
Astroman
Modded Moderator

FINALLY got an insurance adjuster to look at the car, $4,100 including just over $1,700 for the custom paint.

SOOO glad for comp insurance plus the extra $20/mo for the rider to cover the custom paint and parts! Should get the check by Monday, then ordering parts! Thinking about getting some projector headlights.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #25
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Holy crap, you trust 16 years old tires! I believe anything made before 2000 didn't have anything coherent as date code. So you can guess they are at least 15 years old.

I am at a point where I wouldn't get used tires anymore unless they have were made less than 2 years ago.

I'm still wary about getting new tires that are over a year old since I drive so little, I wouldn't want them to dry rot before I get at least 5-6 years out of them.
5 years is the max age that a tire manufacturer will cover a warrantable condition on a tire. Most tire dealers rotate their inventory faster than that, but if not, tires older than that generally get scrapped, not sold.

Personally, I would never run a retread on any passenger car, especially one that has plastic bumpers.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #26
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^They still sell retreads for passenger cars?! I thought that was something discontinued years ago.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:06 AM   #27
Astroman
Modded Moderator

They haven't sold retreads here since 2002. Mine were not retreads, just hella old.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #28
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^They still sell retreads for passenger cars?! I thought that was something discontinued years ago.
I think most truck tires are retreads which is why you see tire carcasis on the road from time to time!

If they can do it for trucks then cars are less problematic.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #29
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
I think most truck tires are retreads which is why you see tire carcasis on the road from time to time!

If they can do it for trucks then cars are less problematic.

The retread process on a truck tire is much different than simply cutting into the rubber for new deeper threads. Because of the price of a truck tire, they actually re-mould new rubber on top of the used carcasses.

Anyways, I would really think twice before getting old new tires older than 5 years old.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #30
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Anyways, I would really think twice before getting old new tires older than 5 years old.

If you are replacing tires 5 years or older I will take them. Lets work something out!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #31
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
There was an episode of Dirty Jobs where they showed the retreading process.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote