Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #55
mygfdrivesayaris

Drives: 2006 Scion XB
This sulfur smell is caused by the honeycomb like material inside the catalytic converter getting too hot - this is usually caused by driving and economy car like a race car - ease up turbo and the smell will go away, otherwise drive fast and enjoy the fragrance. ALSO - For the guy who asked on page 3 - Your low fuel light starts to blink when it is about 9.5 gallons low so the mileage should be closer to 31.58 MPG - that being said you can technically go 47.36 more miles after that light comes on, but i would fill up instead.
mygfdrivesayaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #56
jetaimejsc

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
i cant smell

i just got my yaris like 1month & 1/2 and everytime my girlfriend gets in she always complains abou the smell, shes like "man, it stinks in here" but when she says that i assure you i did not fart, maybe i did but i doubt it, but i got allergies year round, so i cant even smell my upper lip, can ya explain to me what it kind of smells like, and should i get it checked, once a while i can smell something and it stinks pretty bad after like i went pretty fast
jetaimejsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #57
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
I smell a little but I can't say if it's the car or the paper mill... will have the car check just in case!
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #58
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
There is no reason not to go in and have this change made on your vehicle. There is obviously a problem with the stock setup, as Toyota wouldn't bother putting out a TSB on the issue if they didn't see the need to fix things. In short, don't ask questions or wait to smell anything. Just go into the dealership and say I want my catalytic converter swapped out for the updated model according to TSB EG035-06. Your dealership might even be impressed that you pay such close attention! Note: This is for liftbacks only.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #59
the_boss

any one know if it's US model, North American model or?
I just remember my old echo (2001..) was smelling like sulfur maybe there where an issue with those model too
Old 04-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #60
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
How long does it take them to make this change? Couple of hours?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #61
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
How long does it take them to make this change? Couple of hours?
45 min. on mine
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #62
jouslee

Drives: White 2007 2 Door hatch Yaris
does it matter which dealership i goto or do i need to go to the dealership that i bought my car from?
jouslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #63
IsLNdbOi

I just called my dealer and they said I have to leave my car there for at least 3 hours so they can find out what is causing the sulfur odor. I told them I had a printout of the TSB, but they said just because there is a TSB it doesn't mean that the odor is not caused by something else.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #64
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
I just called my dealer and they said I have to leave my car there for at least 3 hours so they can find out what is causing the sulfur odor. I told them I had a printout of the TSB, but they said just because there is a TSB it doesn't mean that the odor is not caused by something else.
Don't all dealers honor Toyota's standard warranty? If you're in it you should be able to go to any dealership you want until you find one that will change it without being dicks about it. My dealership did it no questions asked, as they all ought to.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #65
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Yea, if yo usay that you smelled sulfur during heavy acceleration then they cant really say "no you didnt" also there is no way to prove that it wasnt the catalytic converter that did it. Thus it would surely fall under the "specific complaint" category and if you ask them to change it then they really can not deny you right? regardless of what they may think caused it. Unless they can prove it didnt:) can they do that?

Also, will this improve heat flow? I found over the winter that the heat sucks. They are so far away that by the time the actual flow of air hits me its not warm. That means in the winter I cant drive with my windows down and heat on full and stay warm:) which i love to do
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #66
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
you know my mom used to have an 01 camry.. and it had this problem and everytime i went and asked about this smell they said it could eb the type of gas im putting in. needless to say i know it was not but anyway im going to see if i can get this done
Jerkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #67
IsLNdbOi

I finally brought mine in today for this. They're going to keep my Yaris at least overnight. They had to order the part(s).
Old 05-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #68
the_boss

just called my dealer...they said the don't check tech service bulletin untill they have a complaint
I guess Ill take care of the maintnance by myself
Old 06-03-2007, 12:07 AM   #69
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
so this tsb is still relevant for those of us with a lb produced after january of 2007?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:28 AM   #70
IsLNdbOi

It's been almost two weeks since I brought mine in for this. The sulfur smell is gone, but now there's this really strong smell that's similar to a chemical cleanser. Not sure what it is, but it only happens in the morning when I first start up or the first time I get on the highway on a day.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 AM   #71
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Will the dealership have a fit if you have modded your Yaris? Example: CAI?
Dont know if they will honor the TSB, seeing that it effects a complete opposite end of the car, but in-advertantly is effected by it. More in = more needing to go out?
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #72
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
It's been almost two weeks since I brought mine in for this. The sulfur smell is gone, but now there's this really strong smell that's similar to a chemical cleanser. Not sure what it is, but it only happens in the morning when I first start up or the first time I get on the highway on a day.
Is that smell comes when you turn the A/C on? I had a bad smell after I changed my cat and took it to the dealer, they said it was mold on the a/c ducts, they put some kind of foam cleanser and it worked pretty good
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote