Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #73
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Will the dealership have a fit if you have modded your Yaris? Example: CAI?
Dont know if they will honor the TSB, seeing that it effects a complete opposite end of the car, but in-advertantly is effected by it. More in = more needing to go out?
+1
Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #74
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
had mine done today...30 minutes.....0$
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #75
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
+1
they won't have a fit... the only issue they may have if your throwing a P0171 lean code with the intake and its due to an incorrect install. if its a good dealer...they will never even take it into consideration
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #76
squibby

Drives: 07' Blazing Blue Yaris L/B
hey i've been reading a lot on these forums and do also get the sulfur smell in my car. I took it in today and complained about it, but the dealership said that Toyota dosen't honor the tsb in California anymore because of something in the gas. Is this true? Has anyone recently gotten theirs changed in CA?
squibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #77
jlift

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by squibby View Post
hey i've been reading a lot on these forums and do also get the sulfur smell in my car. I took it in today and complained about it, but the dealership said that Toyota dosen't honor the tsb in California anymore because of something in the gas. Is this true? Has anyone recently gotten theirs changed in CA?
Have not heard this yet. Sounds pretty suspicious. Which dealer? Where/how did he get this info? Ask to see it in writing. Calll Toyota Corporate. At this point I would not believe him. Possibly Toyota is losing $$ on this big time and now doing an about face and "blaming" it on the gas addititives?
jlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #78
squibby

It was at Elk Grove Toyota up near Sac. He said they got an email from Toyota saying not to change anymore cats for the sulfur smell. I thought it was strange too, but the service manager wasn't in yet so I just got his number and left. I've already emailed Toyota, but I'll call Toyota Corp after work if I don't get a response by then.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #79
jlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibby View Post
It was at Elk Grove Toyota up near Sac. He said they got an email from Toyota saying not to change anymore cats for the sulfur smell. I thought it was strange too, but the service manager wasn't in yet so I just got his number and left. I've already emailed Toyota, but I'll call Toyota Corp after work if I don't get a response by then.
I was very interested in this and had a few minutes so I called Toyota Corporate. They researched it for me and assured me that they are still replacing catalytic converters as stated in TSB EG035-06 (Revised). Your dealer who told you that he received an email from Toyota stating not to change it is probably making that up. I would go with what Toyota says. You can call for yourself. If in fact the dealer is being less than honest with you, I would raise some hell and let his "bosses" know about it. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #80
mushrmboy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Manual
new yaris?

does this apply to recently purchased yarii too? i just got mine 2 weeks ago and i'm wondering if they would have replaced the part on their own by now. and how bad is the smell? so far i haven't been able to smell anything, but i haven't been in any real stop and go traffic yet.
mushrmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #81
squibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushrmboy View Post
does this apply to recently purchased yarii too? i just got mine 2 weeks ago and i'm wondering if they would have replaced the part on their own by now. and how bad is the smell? so far i haven't been able to smell anything, but i haven't been in any real stop and go traffic yet.
I'm pretty sure it applies to new ones because I just got my yaris about a month or so ago and it's got the problem.

It smells really bad like rotten eggs. I don't even think you need to be in real bad stop and go traffic for it to happen. The first time I noticed the smell was after driving back to Sac from SF with pretty light traffic. I started my car after dropping off my brother and it was rotten egg smell all over.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #82
squibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlift View Post
I was very interested in this and had a few minutes so I called Toyota Corporate. They researched it for me and assured me that they are still replacing catalytic converters as stated in TSB EG035-06 (Revised). Your dealer who told you that he received an email from Toyota stating not to change it is probably making that up. I would go with what Toyota says. You can call for yourself. If in fact the dealer is being less than honest with you, I would raise some hell and let his "bosses" know about it. Good luck!
Thanks jlift. I'm going back there tomorrow to let them know I've talked to Toyota Corporate and got confirmation that the TSB is still in effect. If they still won't change it, then I'll be raising hell with the managers.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #83
jlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushrmboy View Post
Yes. They are actually NOT putting the replacement Cat. on newly manufactured Yarii as they roll out of the factory. But, if you are aware of the TSB and print it out and take it in to them (you'll find it in a .pdf at the beginning of this thread), then they must honor it. Only if you are aware of it and ask for it, then they will replace it. I think that Toyota is trying to be "cost effective" here. i.e., what you don't know won't hurt you. (believe me, a majority of car owners do not know about these technical service bulletins!) It's best to have a copy of the TSB so that they can't say, "well, maybe you got some bad gas or are smelling something else" or something else like that. When I got my work done, I went in with a stack of 4 TSB's! The service rep. told me that I was not his "average" customer.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #84
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Okay. The sedan doesn't have this problem, right?
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #85
jlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_fh View Post
Okay. The sedan doesn't have this problem, right?
No. The TSB states:

"TSB REVISION NOTICE: August 4, 2006. This TSB applies ONLY to Yaris liftback models."

So we are talking about the liftback here. Sorry for any confusion. The TSB's state exactly which models are affected on any specific upgrade. Which begs the question, "why are the sedans unaffected? Perhaps they have the newer part on them?" hmmmmm....
Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #86
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlift View Post
No. The TSB states:

"TSB REVISION NOTICE: August 4, 2006. This TSB applies ONLY to Yaris liftback models."

So we are talking about the liftback here. Sorry for any confusion. The TSB's state exactly which models are affected on any specific upgrade. Which begs the question, "why are the sedans unaffected? Perhaps they have the newer part on them?" hmmmmm....
Thanks a lot! It seems there is no any TSB talks about Yaris Sedan except the Rattle in Reverse. Am I right?
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #87
jlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_fh View Post
Thanks a lot! It seems there is no any TSB talks about Yaris Sedan except the Rattle in Reverse. Am I right?

Well, there is TSB NV009-06 which deals with Upper/lower windshield tick noise which I posted on this forum.
But this applies to 2003-2007 model year Toyota vehicles and 2004-2007 Scion so I think that the 07 sedan would be included.

That's about the only other one I am aware of that would be for the Sedan. Search on "TSB" on this forum and you will find it. The dealer will let you know what specific TSB's are out there for your car if you ask him. It might be worthwhile thing to do next time you are there. You could also search on a website that has them for a fee and you can get the TSB numbers as a reference. I think that tundrasolutions.com/forums will let you see all the way up to the title of the TSB, in their knowledge base in the yaris forum.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #88
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
As for the cause of this bad smell, I though I had posted thins before, but this is what I noticed, as I have a basic AFR (air-fuel ratio) meter.

When you drive normally, the ECU keeps the AFR oscillating around the standard 14.7:1, going lean-rich-lean-rich... This, apparently, is to enhance the efficiency of the catalyser.

But, when you step on it, the ECU seems to make the AFR very rich, I've seen it go up to 11:1, and stay there, which is a lot of fuel, a lot of which will go unburned, and this seems to mess with the stock catalyser, hence causing this smell. The theory behind this extra fuel is that it will help in keeping the engine cool and prevent detonation, as would be done when you have a turbo, so it's really a safety measure for engine longevity.

I guess the new catalyser is better able to contain or process this extra fuel so that it does not cause the stink...

I don't know if this TSB is also available here, never bothered to check... I just let off the accelerator a little when I see this extra-rich AFR...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #89
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
I am having the same problem (didn't know this thread existed cuz i'm a dumbass). I just called the services department of my dealer. I specifically said, "excessive sulfur odor" and right away the dude said, "Bring it in tomorrow so we can have a look at it." I didn't say I had a print out of the TSB so I'm sort of curious on how they will handle this. If they give me ANY crap I'm going to whip out the print out and be all, "SUCKAH!"

So, I'll let you guys know.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #90
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
i think there is a strange sulfur smell on mine but i don't sniff sulfur on a regular basis so cannot be completely sure. Just that there is a strange smell. so do I just go to the dealer to fix this?

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote