Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
AGFSA
Banned

Drives: Toyota
Does any other auto tranny Yaris owner regret not getting the MT?

SMU vs Temple Live Streaming
Virginia vs Duke Live Streaming
Iowa vs Northwestern Live Streaming
East Carolina vs UCF Live Streaming
Iowa State vs Baylor Live Streaming
Rutgers vs Ohio State Live Streaming
Vanderbilt vs Florida Live Streaming
Notre Dame vs Syracuse Live Streaming
AGFSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
Ilovemyyaris

Drives: Blue 5 door hatchback Yaris
Nope. I just love being able to get in and go. One less thing to worry about doing.
Ilovemyyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
iA_b4_07HB

Drives: 2017 iA
Only car, must be automatic. 2nd car, stick shift ok; in the old days, dealer ads would blow stick shifts out on special to draw in customers, and their faces dropped when I actually wanted to buy one.
iA_b4_07HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
I have always been a manual stick shift guy and the only exception was a company car a BMW 5 series.A manual is so much better in winter and if your alternator or battery die in middle off nowhere you can bump start it or get a friend to tow you.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
I have always been a manual stick shift guy...
+1

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by iA_b4_07HB View Post
Only car, must be automatic. 2nd car, stick shift ok
This is where I'm now at in life. For the DD, I'm done rowing through the gears. Secondary fun vehicle, manual ftw.

Look at us responding to some year old spam-a-licious!

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Nope. Love the 4-speed automatic; a brilliant little transmission that gets the job done without a hiccup. Had it in my 2007 and now in my 2014 and have no regrets whatsoever.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Nope. Love the 4-speed automatic; a brilliant little transmission that gets the job done without a hiccup. Had it in my 2007 and now in my 2014 and have no regrets whatsoever.
Everyone knows you Americans love your automatics mate LOL but i had major brake failure on the motor way ( freeway ) 70+mph in an old Mazda 323 and used my gears to slow me down all while pumping my brake pedal like a man possessed,and an engine screaming withe every gear.......Oh yes i am the master of my stick!
LMAO!!!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
After driving (and enjoying) nothing but manual autos since my first car in 1982, I am actually somewhat looking forward to trying out my first automatic vehicle in 2020-2021. Both have their positives and negatives, and both are more pleasant to drive under certain types of conditions. I don't hit the road for trips and adventures like I did years ago, and an automatic is just more practical for a dedicated work-commute and general weekend-errand vehicle in an urban environment. As much as I think the 4-spd Yaris automatic drivetrain (perfect for an urban runabout) is the way to go versus modern CVT's, etc., I don't think it will be around on the next-gen Yaris in 2021, and I really can't stomach the updated styling changes made to the 2018+ version Yaris.

Last edited by Kalispel; 09-22-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #10
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
I drove manual cars by choice until my wife decided she needed to learn to drive when she was pregnant with our first child. She learnt on an automatic and states she has no intention of ever learning to drive a manual car. Thus we have 2 cars with auto gearboxes.

Really, the only manual cars seen here regularly are either "performance" cars, absolute cheapest economy models or 4 wheel drives. Order a mainstream model with manual transmission and you will most likely wait several months for delivery, then find it's worth less as a trade in when you buy your next new car.

Last edited by kevinj93; 09-23-2017 at 02:52 AM.
kevinj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:10 AM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I agree. The 4-speed auto is perfect for this application. It matches the engine just right. I came from a VW dual clutch 6-speed DSG and was unimpressed with it (and many other areas of the car as well). I prefer the Yaris and its 4 speed over the VW and its DSG. I tell people this and they say I'm crazy. Perhaps I am but it doesn't change my opinion.

Quote:
Everyone knows you Americans love your automatics mate LOL but i had major brake failure on the motor way ( freeway ) 70+mph in an old Mazda 323 and used my gears to slow me down all while pumping my brake pedal like a man possessed,and an engine screaming withe every gear.......Oh yes i am the master of my stick!
LMAO!!!
You can do this with an auto as well. When I find myself on very hilly / winding roads I'll often moderate my speed just with the trans, never touching my brakes, while all those around me are riding their brakes. I wonder if they even know that this is possible.

Quote:
A manual is so much better in winter and if your alternator or battery die in middle off nowhere you can bump start it or get a friend to tow you.
True on winter. As for bump starting that was true at one time but nowadays, with all the electronics and safety nonsense on modern cars, many will prevent the car from starting this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iA_b4_07HB View Post
Only car, must be automatic.
+1. I have driven stick in the past but I'm old and lazy now. Also I drive in NYC. Stick is just a PITA in city driving.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
i dont regretting not getting the 4speed. its the u3xx its in the same family used in the rav4.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
I drove manual cars by choice until my wife decided she needed to learn to drive when she was pregnant with our first child. She learnt on an automatic and states she has no intention of ever learning to drive a manual car. Thus we have 2 cars with auto gearboxes.

Really, the only manual cars seen here regularly are either "performance" cars, absolute cheapest economy models or 4 wheel drives. Order a mainstream model with manual transmission and you will most likely wait several months for delivery, then find it's worth less as a trade in when you buy your next new car.
Not in GB manuals are the norm but these days we see a lot more flappy paddle gear boxes in new hi-end cars ,i have had both but prefer manual you feel the car more.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Thumbs up All geared up

[QUOTE=NYC-SE;803740]I agree. The 4-speed auto is perfect for this application. It matches the engine just right. I came from a VW dual clutch 6-speed DSG and was unimpressed with it (and many other areas of the car as well). I prefer the Yaris and its 4 speed over the VW and its DSG. I tell people this and they say I'm crazy. Perhaps I am but it doesn't change my opinion.

You can do this with an auto as well. When I find myself on very hilly / winding roads I'll often moderate my speed just with the trans, never touching my brakes, while all those around me are riding their brakes. I wonder if they even know that this is possible.

How true i am the same we have some very steep hilly roads around Yorkshire and the North east and i coast down them while others hammer the brakes into submission,the White horse in Yorkshire is a good example of hills and winding roads,You would love it!

True on winter. As for bump starting that was true at one time but nowadays, with all the electronics and safety nonsense on modern cars, many will prevent the car from starting this way.

Sadly i dont have much knowledge of modern cars electronics and diagnostics so i will take your word for it my friend

+1. I have driven stick in the past but I'm old and lazy now. Also I drive in NYC. Stick is just a PITA in city driving.

I can sympathise with old and lazy as i am 50 years old ,but dont most old men need a manual STICK to get about? Lmao!

Last edited by hairygityeti; 09-23-2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: addissions
hairygityeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
Yaris709

Drives: 07 yaris
I used to own a manual shift 2000 echo. Now have an automatic 2007 yaris. I like both but the standard was better in winter. I prefer to go for the deal of the car. Standard or automatic doesn't stop me from buying a car. I can drive an 18 speed hahaha. I do miss that echo and its unreal fuel mileage (750km on 35 liters or so) but my yaris is much smoother and stable on the road.
Yaris709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #16
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
We have four vehicles in our family, all automatics.

I have been driving a Yaris with an auto for nine years now, and wouldn't have it any other way. As mentioned, you can shift with it if desired but the better part is when you don't want to, you don't have to!

I also have a Jeep with an automatic, which when I got it ten years ago was when people were realizing it is much easier and better to off-road than a manual. I have been on many a wheeling adventure where I've seen people with manuals having a tough time getting through sections I breezed through.

I occasionally get manual transmissions in rental vehicles overseas which only remind me of how much I don't miss having to shift through gears. Modern automatics are more efficient and quicker than manuals anyway, which is why it is getting tougher and tougher to find standard transmissions in anything but economobiles.

Manual transmissions will one day go the route of carburetors...
Old 10-01-2017, 01:17 AM   #17
iA_b4_07HB

Drives: 2017 iA
I test drove a 2017 stick and the engagement point/gearing/throttle tip-in led me to stall it twice - and one of my current cars is manual transmission, so I'm fairly decent at starting and shifting. Later I read a review online in which the reviewer also thought the clutch set up was a little quirky - of course many other reviewers (ok, the relatively few other reviewers who could track down MT to review) didn't mention the problem, and one reviewer said the 3 door Yaris (Stateside) was the one to get, with the MT.

On the other hand I rode shotgun (passenger) on a spirited test drive by
the salesman and was impressed by how un-noticeable the 4 speed automatic was, compared to the 6 speeds I am used to (in a Jetta, former car, and iA, current car). I mean it wasn't an obvious problem with either low, mid, or full throttle runs up to speed. In contrast a PT Cruiser from years ago had a horrible 4 speed (4th was high for fuel economy, 3rd was a little low, and a freeway downshift from 4th to 3rd sounded like I was going to blow up engine), while a second gen Neon had an ok one (3rd and 4th close enough for less dramatic kick-downs) - so I guess it depends on how the automatic is geared and also "mapped." Alex from Alex on Autos in his YouTube review said the 4 speed was well-sorted. See:

https://youtu.be/cRTZrZblSAI?t=9m24s

A few moments before, he mentions that the Yaris is slower than the CVT competition (Fit and Versa), but in other reviews they are about the same.

All in all I would rather have the 6 speed from the Yaris iA (it's an incredible design, but it's Mazda design and manufacture, not Toyota) but the Toyota 4 speed has been better proven in terms of reliability over two or more decades of use, abuse, and refinement - Mazda themselves, for the last gen Mazda 2, made some solid arguments why the simpler 4 speeds were more compact, lightweight, and durable than 6 speeds (and of course CVT's not renowned for longevity.) I would take the 5 speed MT as a fun, personal car, but no one else in my family would be able to drive it.

Finally, the most likely source of my future Yaris "classic French editon" (versus the totally unrelated Mazda-sourced iA I currently own) is Hertz Car Sales, since French Yaris prices at dealers are obscene due to the prevalence of heavy discounts on Corollas and NO discounts on French Yarii. So - a 5 speed is just not an option due to limited availability and high "stick to the sticker price" marketing. A new 3 door 5 speed 2017 L, if you can find one, is about $17,000 while a 12,000 mile 2017 5 door L from Hertz with mandatory automatic is only about $12,500 as of September 2017.
iA_b4_07HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:45 AM   #18
hichamaziz
Banned

Drives: my car is the best
car must be automatic.
hichamaziz is offline   Reply With Quote