Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
DanMC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
Hyundai and Kia are to pay fines for lying about fuel economy !!!

So it looks like Hyundai and it's cheapo brand Kia are to pay a lot of money for misleading it's customers about the fuel mileage they reported. More than a million Hyundai/Kia owners will be reinbursed because of the false claims.I don't know if this applies to US only because i heard of this just today on the national news station (radio).Hyunday/Kia
Dan
DanMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMC View Post
So it looks like Hyundai and it's cheapo brand Kia are to pay a lot of money for misleading it's customers about the fuel mileage they reported. More than a million Hyundai/Kia owners will be reinbursed because of the false claims.I don't know if this applies to US only because i heard of this just today on the national news station (radio).Hyunday/Kia
Dan
This was featured on several cable news channels here in the U.S. and, interestingly enough, Canada wasn't mentioned in any of the ones I heard.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Honda too

Have had some issues with, and loss an interesting "small claims" case regarding their hybrid's claimed fuel economy. That is being appealed, but its has some huge ramifications

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb...wsuit-20120202

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Another reason I'm glad I didn't buy a Kia. I rented a Kia Rio once and hated it, compared to it my Yaris is a racecar.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
....interestingly enough, Canada wasn't mentioned in any of the ones I heard.
That's because once the metric conversion was done....it turns out that customers actually owe Hyundai/Kia money!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Im waiting wiht baited breath for them to nail Ford to the wall for claiming the Focus gets 40+ mpg.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
There's certainly been tons of talk of this with Hyundai, Kia, Honda, & Ford.

They are "earning" 40 mpg ratings are most consumers are reporting much less on the highway.

All the while, lower rated Toyota's like the 36 mpg Corolla get better mileage than the 40 mpg models. In fact, most Toyota owners regularly report higher than rated mileage. We Yaris owners can attest to that. 29/36? I get 32/41 oddly enough matching the pre-2008 EPA rating.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
DanMC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
Have had some issues with, and loss an interesting "small claims" case regarding their hybrid's claimed fuel economy. That is being appealed, but its has some huge ramifications

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb...wsuit-20120202
You are right, hybrids are crap period. Wait and see ...Ford,GM are next or maybe not, because they are "favored" car companies since US and to some extend Canadian tax payers have saved these (ok,not Ford...they had to disolve their so-called premier group that consisted of Aston Martin,Jaguar and Land Rover now owned by Tata....an Indian company,Volvo was sold to some Chinese outfit...Chery group...i'm not 100% sure, then they lost Mazda...now they are independent ...Mazda still buys crapy engines from Ford) but their lies will catch up.Chrysler...let's not even go there.You watch...as companies get weak and in trouble due to whatever VW will scoop them all out.VW want to be number one in sales by 2018...and they are almost there...i"m talking world wide .
DanMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
From what I've read, it was an error in calculation using the testing methods dictated by the US EPA that resulted in the erroneous higher MPG's. Apparently Hyundai/Kia acknowledges that they made a mistake in their calculations when the EPA could not replicate their results.

Understand that people use the published MPG as one of the many decision factors in purchasing a car. In this case, the problem is that everyone is assuming that the erroneous numbers were an "honest" mistake. Is it really?

Those erroneously high MPG's allowed Hyundai/Kia to get a foothold in a very competitive economy car market during a time with unfavorable market conditions (ongoing recession, dwindling middle class, shrinking salary/wages, etc).

I remember very distinctly a few years ago when literally, there was a noticeable increase in the number of new Hyundai/Kias on the road. As if overnight, 1/8th of every car I saw on the road was a new Hyundai/Kia.

People make mistakes, right? But you would think that something this important would have more than one set of eyes verifying it.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote