Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I've been saying for a few years now about how Toyota should have a recall over the broken spiral wire in the steering wheel. Doesn't take a genius to put two and two together by reading how many people alone on this forum all were throwing the same code for the SRS malfunction, stemming from that broken wire in the steering wheel.

I have a 2008 hatchback and I fought with the dealer ages ago to fix the issue of the spiral cable. Of course they wouldn't fix it and they even wanted to charge me to have the code scanned.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Many people don't have the money to have their cars fixed.....
The word "junkers" really drives me nuts, just like the word "bum"
doesn't take into consideration that a person's circumstances just
might be beyond their control. In other words, it's a very sad world
out there.....
Government on steroids doesn't help either. Cash for clunkers reduced the supply of these vehicles, which has driven up prices. A local businessman here (who owns a large restaurant, a related online business, and also has a local radio show) was p***ed off about his property taxes (for his home, his restaurant building, and other property). He got together with a like minded group and hired two lobbyists. During this process he learned that cities and counties in Texas hire MORE POWERFUL LOBBYISTS with TAXPAYER'S MONEY to protect current policies and procedures ...to protect the level of money that is rolling into their coffers.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #21
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Talked to Toyota and was told it's a recall for the steering wheel ( wiring ) and the seat(s) . Saw this on CNBC . Still trying to get the front and rear noise taken care of . Maybe they should make the control arm bolts a recall before there are bigger issues related to it . Great timing . Toyota , oh what a feeling !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2989.JPG (172.6 KB, 233 views)
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I'm way over the 100k mileage cap that seems to go along with these 'errors' (same boat as Mazilla on that). I'm just glad that the 'steering' part of the recall appears to be related to the airbag rather than a steering part that during every minute of operation effects keeping the car properly directed on a road.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Unless things have changed since 2010 in California, California hasn't had inspections since at least the late 1970s....if ever. Texas has yearly inspections.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #24
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Volkswagen now has a stop of sales . Next car company will be ? Wonder if the billion (?) fine against Toyota is putting the scare into them .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2991.JPG (214.3 KB, 227 views)
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #25
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitz767 View Post
If this occurs, the air bag warning lamp will illuminate.
... would be annoying.

But, this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitz767 View Post
In addition, the driver's air bag could become deactivated, causing it to not deploy in the event of a crash.
... would be a good thing, IMO...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #26
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
^^^^^^^^^
Being 5'4" I sit a little too close to the steering wheel but I have to be able to easily push the clutch in, too. I've always been afraid of the boobies being squished by the airbag.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
^^^^^^^^^
Being 5'4" I sit a little too close to the steering wheel but I have to be able to easily push the clutch in, too. I've always been afraid of the boobies being squished by the airbag.
LOL. As a 5'4" guy sitting that close, I have always been afraid of having the airbag pop and someone finding my head about 100 feet behind the car.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #28
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
LOL! That too!
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #29
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
In the U.S., the recall includes:

1.3 million vehicles with faulty electrical connections that could cause the air bags to deactivate. Included are the 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2008-2010 Highlander, 2009-2010 Tacoma, 2006-2008 RAV4, 2006-2010 Yaris and 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe. If the air bags deactivate, they could fail to deploy after a crash.

472,500 small cars with defective springs in the front seat rails, which could prevent the seats from locking in place. Included are the 2006-2010 Yaris hatchback, 2007-2010 Yaris sedan and the 2008-2010 Scion XD.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #30
smofskra

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Send a message via MSN to smofskra Send a message via Yahoo to smofskra
The LA Times article reads as follows:

Toyota Motor Corp. will recall more than 6 million vehicles worldwide to fix a variety of problems, including a wiring issue that might disable airbags and a glitch that could trigger the driver’s seat in some cars to suddenly shift.
It’s just the latest in a parade of massive recalls by manufacturers this year, especially in the U.S.
Toyota’s announcement Wednesday brought the number of vehicles called back by automakers in the U.S. to nearly 13 million so far this year, on pace to surpass the record 30.8 million vehicles recalled in 2004. Car companies called back 22 million vehicles last year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
“This is really the behavior we want manufacturers to exhibit,” said Jessica Caldwell, an analyst with car shopping company Edmunds.com. “It shows that they recognize a product flaw and that they want to correct it to protect the safety of current and future owners.”
The recalls also come against a backdrop of huge fines and high-profile investigations into whether auto companies covered up safety defects.
Earlier this year, Toyota agreed to pay a $1.2-billion fine to settle a four-year federal criminal investigation into whether it properly told regulators about safety complaints concerning sudden acceleration. It also has paid NHTSA about $66 million in fines in recent years for not promptly recalling vehicles.
General Motors is now paying fines of $7,000 a day for missing a NHTSA deadline to provide key information for the safety agency’s probe of why it took the company more than a decade to recall cars with faulty ignition switches linked to 13 deaths. GM, which also faces Department of Justice and Congressional investigations, recalled 2.2 million cars for the problem over the past two months.
“Looking at fines for Toyota and GM in recent weeks, it seems that recalls in a timely fashion are the lesser of two evils,” said Dave Sullivan, manager for product analysis for consulting firm AutoPacific Inc. “The microscope gets turned on if a manufacturer doesn't want to abide in a timely fashion.”
Toyota on Wednesday issued 6.8 million recalls, but because in some cases multiple problems affect the same model, it amounts to 6.4 million vehicles. The global recalls include about 30 models in Japan, the U.S., Europe and other regions. About 1.8 million of the affected vehicles are in the U.S.
Toyota said it will recall 1.3 million vehicles in the U.S. for the airbag issue. The vehicles are the 2009-2010 Corollas, 2009-2010 Matrixes, 2008-2010 Highlanders, 2009-2010 Tacoma trucks, 2006-2008 RAV4s and 2006-2010 Yaris compact cars.
About 40,500 Pontiac Vibes from the 2009-2010 model years are included in the Toyota recall. Toyota designed and engineered the Vibe for Pontiac. GM will service customers with these vehicles when Toyota makes the parts available.
The driver’s airbag module in the Toyota and Pontiac vehicles is attached to a spiral cable assembly with electrical connections that could become damaged when the steering wheel is turned. If this occurs, the airbag warning lamp will light up. The driver’s airbag also could become deactivated, preventing it from deploying in a crash.
Toyota said it has no reports of deaths or injuries resulting from the problem, but the automaker plans to replace the spiral cable assembly with an improved version that won’t become damaged as the steering wheel turns.
Toyota also said it will recall an additional 472,500 vehicles in the U.S. to fix an issue with the front seats. The cars are the 2006-2010 Yaris hatchbacks, 2007-2010 Yaris sedans and 2008-2010 Scion xDs.
The rail of the driver seat in the cars and the front passenger seat of three-door models uses springs to lock the seats in place after they are adjusted. The springs can break, leaving the seat unlocked and allowing it to move in a crash, increasing the risk of injury to the occupant. But Toyota said it is not aware of any accidents or injuries caused by this condition.
These latest actions bring the number of vehicles Toyota has recalled in the U.S. to about 3 million this year. It recalled nearly 5.3 million vehicles last year, topping all other automakers for the second consecutive year.
But the recall leader so far this year is GM, which including the cars it is bringing back for the switch issue, has recalled more than 6 million vehicles.
Caldwell said consumers should pay attention to the recalls.
“Owners who have received notice are urged to contact their dealers to schedule a fix as soon as possible,” she said. “And car shoppers - especially used car shoppers — should check to see if there are outstanding recalls on any vehicle they might be considering before they buy.”
Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #31
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Maybe they should make the control arm bolts a recall before there are bigger issues related to it .
+1 one can hope... this and the known faulty rear ABS sensors...
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
I will gladly take any damage the airbag does to me over the damage I will sustain without it.

there are legitimate enough statistics out there that estimate front airbags save 22 people for every one person killed by them....and of those killed, 1/2 were kids who should not have been in the front seat. another chunk of the small number killed were people not wearing seatbelts.

SEATBELTS + AIRBAGS = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpgnYhzdkI

...or disable the airbags, and don't vaccinate your children. (oh, and btw, the world is flat)
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #33
FrankM

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris/2000 mr2
i have over 140,000 on my car , will they still fix it , i would like a new motor , LOL
FrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
I will gladly take any damage the airbag does to me over the damage I will sustain without it.

there are legitimate enough statistics out there that estimate front airbags save 22 people for every one person killed by them....and of those killed, 1/2 were kids who should not have been in the front seat. another chunk of the small number killed were people not wearing seatbelts.

SEATBELTS + AIRBAGS = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpgnYhzdkI

...or disable the airbags, and don't vaccinate your children. (oh, and btw, the world is flat)
I definitely appreciate the safety factor of airbags. I just fear the heck out of them, so I try at all costs to prevent them from needing to deploy.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #35
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I definitely appreciate the safety factor of airbags. I just fear the heck out of them, so I try at all costs to prevent them from needing to deploy.
oh, I absolutely do not want to take one to the face. never have and hope I never will.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #36
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM View Post
i have over 140,000 on my car , will they still fix it
Good question!

Quote:
i would like a new motor , LOL