Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Location of starter?

So...I'm pretty sure my starter finally bit the dust. I've got about 220,000 miles on my Yaris sedan and I turn the key and 'nothing'- no clicking, no attempt to turn-over. Lights all work, took the battery out and had it tested for both volts and load-all good(12.6v and 543cca on a 540cca battery).

Anyways, is the starter the cylinder with the Toyota/Denso sticker on it right above the oil filter? I was under the car-in the dark and rain, of course- tapping it with a hammer while my wife turned the ignition key(I saw to do this online). I could hear a 'click' while she did it, but it was dark and I was just trying to see if I could get the car home or to a garage. Did this for a few minutes until I was too tired/soaked.

Obviously, if I don't even know for sure I'm looking at the right thing I'm probably not going to attempt to replace it myself, but I was curious if I was 'in the neighborhood'. Thanks!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Yes, just above and slightly to the right of the oil filter. It's a fairly simple install, though I had the engine out of my car at the time. If I recall correctly, there is one plug and a terminal along with the two bolts for removal and install.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
toad

thanks for the confirmation! i could barely get the hammer up there to tap on it- i can hardly imagine trying to get two bolts undone(at least not without the engine out).
Old 11-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
A lot of it is by feel but once you know what orientation your are looking at, it is doable with the engine in place
Old 11-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
thanks for the confirmation! i could barely get the hammer up there to tap on it- i can hardly imagine trying to get two bolts undone(at least not without the engine out).
I'm pretty sure if you remove the plastic covers under there, you'd have good access. They are a straightforward removal and install. I think four 10mm bolts near the front and a few push pins farther back.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yes, just above and slightly to the right of the oil filter. It's a fairly simple install, though I had the engine out of my car at the time. If I recall correctly, there is one plug and a terminal along with the two bolts for removal and install.

i wish i had a rad engine crane and a garage.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
i wish i had a rad engine crane and a garage.
The engine crane is great, though I borrowed it. I finally got a garage a few years ago. I had wanted one for ages. Some day, I'll insulate it and heat it. Right now 1/2 of my garage is a paint booth. I have a 220 volt box fan and it really heats the booth up. It works for now.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
The engine crane is great, though I borrowed it. I finally got a garage a few years ago. I had wanted one for ages. Some day, I'll insulate it and heat it. Right now 1/2 of my garage is a paint booth. I have a 220 volt box fan and it really heats the booth up. It works for now.

its okay your only what 8 hours away by car and then over the border. :V
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #9
toad

Good news/bad news! I managed to get the starter off the engine(much easier when there's daylight/no rain!). Took it to the local Autozone and had it tested. I assumed this was the culprit due to having the battery tested and checking all my connections previously. Turns out the starter is fine! The guy who helped me mentioned the starter relay may need to be checked. I guess it's in the engine fuse box? It's dark again so I'm going to research this a little and check it tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the Yaris has two starter relay fuses? He said if there's two you can simply swap them to test(after I reconnect the starter obviously:lol:). My echo in the garage only has one-if I'm looking at the right part. I tried pulling it out, but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to break it. Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:28 AM   #10
dkwilfert

Drives: 2008 Yaris 2-Door (White)
There is a starter relay AND signals for gear selection (auto) or clutch position (manual). See diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Engine Control.pdf (54.2 KB, 197 views)
dkwilfert is offline   Reply With Quote