Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
09YG
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Help-Car sounds like a diesel!!

My car sounds like it is a diesel. When I’m in drive, and I apply my breaks, the car makes a loud vibrating sound, as if it was a diesel. This only happens when I am in drive. If I am in park, neutral, or in reverse and I apply my breaks, no sound is made. What is wrong with my car?
Details- 09Yaris Sedan- Automatic- Apx 80k KM
09YG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09YG View Post
My car sounds like it is a diesel. When I’m in drive, and I apply my breaks, the car makes a loud vibrating sound, as if it was a diesel. This only happens when I am in drive. If I am in park, neutral, or in reverse and I apply my breaks, no sound is made. What is wrong with my car?
Details- 09Yaris Sedan- Automatic- Apx 80k KM
If you are driving with the flow of traffic on a highway (non commute time) and put the car in neutral and put on the brakes (don't do this if you can see a car behind you in your lane ) does this happen? If so, my first though would be warped front brake rotors. I suggested the test because you are unlikely to be able to repeat what you describe (IF the issue really is the rotors) in neutral if you are going very slowly (perking lot, etc.). I am also assuming you are going slower than 'highway speed' in reverse . I have had what you describe happen on a car heavier than a Yaris and the issue was warped rotors. The really well informed pros on this site might have a less pedestrian, but potentially more accurate suggestion.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaks