Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
j-san

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
TRD muffler question

Browsing on the TRD website, I see there are two different mufflers for the Yaris (near the bottom of the page):

http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/part...categories=all

One has part# PTR04-52062 and the other has part# PTR03-52081. The photo on the TRD website shows the same muffler, so I am wondering if anyone knows the differences between the two?

Thanks.
j-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I clicked on Engineering Notes for PTR04-52062;

Engineering Notes

Part number will be discontinued and superceded with PN: PTR03-52081 (Liftback) and a new application PTR03-52080 (Sedan)
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
j-san

Thanks. Should have looked at the notes. As I understand it, there is the US version and the JDM version of the TRD muffler, correct? The JDM one looks similar to the pumpkin stock muffler, but the US version is the oval model seen on the TRD website?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
The US one is probably made by Borla.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-san View Post
The JDM one looks similar to the pumpkin stock muffler, but the US version is the oval model seen on the TRD website?
Correct.

Last edited by WeeYari; 05-31-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added photo
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
j-san

After doing a little searching, am I correct in believing the JDM TRD muffler is the quietest axle back exhaust that is better than stock? I assume it likely has different internal configuration than the stock muffler? I noticed MicroImage lists one for sale but it's rather expensive.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ I do have one, and as far as I can tell it's the only one in the country (unless you import one, which would be even more expensive).

I may also have a USA version one, I cant remember offhand if we sold it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
j-san

And now it's mine! I just placed my order after having e-mailed with Jeff about it.

I was initially confused about the TRD exhaust since there were two of them and I read reports that one was super loud and the other was nice and quiet. I wanted a quiet exhaust system so as to appease my wife's desire for something quiet, but also sporty enough to satisfy my desire to modify something. Eventually, I'd like to try a header and perhaps an intake, but first, I wanted to find a muffler I could live with before getting into anything else upstream.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Sweet! That's a rare item! Almost put in on my Prius C.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Yeah super rare. I got mine back in 2006. Used it for two years and sold it to a Canadian for what I paid for it when times were tough. Very nice muffler I have to say, quiet on idle and cruising, but very throaty while not being offensive when you lay on it. I miss it, but really like my shop built magnaflow however it does have a drone sound while driving (which I like, wife hardly rides in the car!)
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
j-san

I don't mind a little bit of drone, but my wife absolutely hates it. Even the Medalion Touring was too loud for her. She is kind of a granny driver so I doubt she would be bothered by the JDM muffler since she never really gets past 3000rpm. Its actually rather unnerving to ride with her when she is merging onto a highway....

At any rate, I'm hoping to get it by the end of the week for some garage time this weekend!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
j-san

Got the JDM TRD axle-back installed. Man, this muffler is awesome. You can hear a little growl when the engine fires up and a nice, low throaty sound at idle and low RPM, but absolutely no drone - not even a hint. It is just a tad louder than stock when you put your foot down and really accelerate, but not at all bothersome. You can definitely tell the sound difference compared to stock, but it is a very nice sporty sound that even the wife approves of. The Tanabe Medalion Touring is pretty mellow, but this one is much mellower. I love it. So glad MicroImage had one left.

Only issue I noticed with it is the tip is just contacting the bumper. I'll likely have to get some longer rubber donuts soon to avoid melting the bumper.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
Smile

Can we see pics of the new trd muffler installed please :)
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Really glad you like it.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
j-san

Couple photos of the JDM TRD muffler installed. Nice and subtle look of the oval tip peeking from under the bumper. It's a little close to the bumper, so I've got some longer rubber donuts to gain about an inch of clearance.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Nice. I wanted one of those. If I had known MicroImage had one in stock, I would have bought it...

Ummm... Any more?

I have an Lexus L-Tuned muffler (made by HKS, sold under the TRD name, installed on the L-Tuned edition IS300) on my IS300 and it is very, very quiet (it is a Lexus after all) but still has a nice deep tone. Sounds like OP's is just like that...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
j-san

Don't know if MicroImage has anymore. Sounded like these are very rare and hard to come by. At least in North America anyways.

I picked up a couple longer rubber donuts at the local O'Reilly's and that did the trick to drop the muffler tip by about 3/4". It isn't much, but the limited time I had the tip contacting the bumper, a small area was melted. Looks a little nicer now, in my opinion as you can see more of the tip.