Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Toyota & BMW to produce a new Supra?

Really just speculation, but still a possibility:

http://www.westminstertoyota.com/en/...and-more/2719/
Old 11-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Folks from the Toyota area at the OC Auto show told us it didn't even have an engine design yet. They talked about it as a pure concept. Who knows, eh? Fun stuff regardless.

Pics of both cars referenced in your article and more from the OC Auto show here...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55538
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:32 AM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Ugh.. why can't toyota make a new engine for themselves...

I won't argue that a S65 from a M3 or S63 Twin Turbo from the M5 wouldn't not be awesome, but what happened to toyota making good solid engines like the 2jz?

I feel the lose more credibility in terms of reliability when they source out other parts from other makers. FRS and their subie engine isn't bad, but I would have loved to see an updated 2zz or something similar to that in the FRS rather than a boxer engine.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Ugh.. why can't toyota make a new engine for themselves...

I won't argue that a S65 from a M3 or S63 Twin Turbo from the M5 wouldn't not be awesome, but what happened to toyota making good solid engines like the 2jz?

I feel the lose more credibility in terms of reliability when they source out other parts from other makers. FRS and their subie engine isn't bad, but I would have loved to see an updated 2zz or something similar to that in the FRS rather than a boxer engine.
Well the Subie/Toyota deal hasn't been so hot. The reliability on both of those makes is well below average. I'm thinking Subaru dropped the ball somewhere. I remember Subaru had a ton of problems in their past WRX engines.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Donno..maybe it's because they want to have someone to point a finger at when something goes wrong.

"Don't blame us if the engine is s**t, our chassis is solid! Not our fault XXX's engines are junk."
Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Ignore this car. This is a partnership borne on the exchange of hybrid and electric drivelines. Not for a Japanese halo car to supplant the LFA. The Supra nameplate is dead. It was dead before the JZA80 bowed in in 1991. Look at their sales figures. Nobody bought it and nobody is going to. How much would it cost in order to remain competitive? $70'000? $80'000? More? What kind of Toyota (Land Cruiser/Prado aside) would you expect to pay for at that price?

This new sports coupé concept would be Lexus or Scion-- more likely to be the former. Think about it (and I do mean think about it...): gasoline-electric hybrid driveline, upmarket sports coupé with the latest in chassis technologies. Which of Toyota's three marques has a near fully hybridised fleet? Lexus. Which marque can market a $80'000 grand tourer? Lexus. Going further, assuming that it would be under the Finesse (Lexus F performance division) umbrella, if you use Lexus' nomenclature for their cars, the final product name would be something like LFLC (Long Coupé) or LFGT (Gran Turismo).

What you should be concerned with is the hybrid technologies that BMW and Toyota will be putting forth from this partnership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
but what happened to toyota making good solid engines like the 2jz?
UZ and MZ were better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Donno..maybe it's because they want to have someone to point a finger at when something goes wrong.
Toyota owns a 16.5% stake in Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru). The Toyota 86 was a platform demonstration, the pilot model, for Toyota's quiet-until-now brand refresh in an athletic direction. The flat four engine is a co-development, using Subaru's new FB engine as its base. The origin and liability on the engine's recent reliability faults is not known or not publicised. My contacts at multiple Toyota dealerships have been doing frequent cylinder short blocks under warranty.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
http://jalopnik.com/exclusive-heres-...-su-1787377881

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1Dj0OrxYE

Looks like it is a BMW collaboration. According to the article, it may be the BMW Z5 in Germany.

Looks a lot like an FRS / 86 to me. If this is what it's going to be, I can't say I'm super excited about it. We'll see what future updates bring.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote