Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #289
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I looked for a pic of my xd harness but cannot find one.

I'm pretty sure you have to use your yaris battery ground tab with the 2 wires from it (one to chassis and one to trans case)

The other ground tab from the xd harness I couldn't remember but Tom is likely correct that it goes to the fuse block, I just never remembered that part
Old 11-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #290
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Well, good it's not a blown fuse/fusible link - that could indicate other problems either current or on the prior xD that hopefully wouldn't have damaged the wiring harness.

Those 2 connectors from the Yaris that you have labelled look like the 2 grounds - body and transmission that I recall. What I don't recall is any heavy gauge cable on an engine harness going to the negative terminal on the battery. Have you run that black cable (2) back to it's source... ?

For giggles, with everything sitting where it is now (battery out), check for continuity between the alternator terminal and that cable (2) - I'm wondering if you've been hooking the alternator up to the negative battery terminal instead of the side of the positive terminal block - which in the pictures you show is missing a connector.. which a quick look at my Yaris I think the red cable to the starter should be on the front of the block and the alternator - which has a black cable with a blue stripe on mine - should be to the backside of the positive terminal block.

edit: apparently while I ran to the garage the other guys already nailed it.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #291
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
You guys freakin rock! And I feel like an idiot!

14.6 Volts!!!! I will however put the battery on charge rather than expect the alternator to do that job.

I am going to sleep well tonight! Tomorrow I will do up the wiring on the trans plug. I still have the P2770 BUT I have neither wire grounded. Just so I'm clear, I should still ground brown wire#9, correct?

Soon it will be... except auto!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #292
tmontague

EDIT* very sorry for the huge images, still learning how to use imgur, but at least these pics won't ghost in a couple weeks

Alright, in just spent some time looking st my old yaris harness and took a look in my engine bay and I'm pretty sure I know what your problem is.

The xd harness does not come with any large ground terminals that you hook up to your negative post on your battery. You keep your yaris ground cable for that

The xd harness comes with 2 large black wires with terminals and one will have red electrical tape on it and the other will not. These are both power cables that go to your positive terminal on the battery. The one with red tape is the direct line to the starter. They both attach to the two spots on the fusible link junction that you keep from your yaris.

I think your are either missing one of these positive cable ends or are attaching one to your negative side on the battery and/or not.using your yaris ground cables. Either way you need to test your trans case for ground.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #293
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I'd double check your ground on the trans. Use a multimeter or test light and make sure it is a good ground. If that's good then check the wiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
You guys freakin rock! And I feel like an idiot!

14.6 Volts!!!! I will however put the battery on charge rather than expect the alternator to do that job.

I am going to sleep well tonight! Tomorrow I will do up the wiring on the trans plug. I still have the P2770 BUT I have neither wire grounded. Just so I'm clear, I should still ground brown wire#9, correct?

Soon it will be... except auto!
If you feel like an idiot it should only be due to not checking one of the simplest and earliest things mentioned to you when you first started the car - it would have saved yourself a lot of frustration and some of us a fair amount of time. You had to multimeter out and went to the trouble of testing wires in the harness all while neglecting to take the 10 seconds to check that the trans was grounded. Don't let that lesson go unlearned, it will help you when your wrench on cars in the future

Most of us were only able to do this swap because of the help of others, and I'm glad we were all able to help you out. Your trans code should clear once you connect and ground the proper wires. Definitely ground pin 9 that Tom mentioned, it is correct as per the ewd. Enjoy a weekend of hooning around a 2zr swapped Yaris!
Old 11-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #294
06YarisRS

It worked Trevor! I now have a grounded trans case and max charging! I still have the P2770 but I will fix that tomorrow, hopefully.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-02-2018, 10:53 PM   #295
06YarisRS

Quote:
If you feel like an idiot it should only be due to not checking one of the simplest and earliest things mentioned to you when you first started the car - it would have saved yourself a lot of frustration and some of us a fair amount of time. You had to multimeter out and went to the trouble of testing wires in the harness all while neglecting to take the 10 seconds to check that the trans was grounded. Don't let that lesson go unlearned, it will help you when your wrench on cars in the future

Most of us were only able to do this swap because of the help of others, and I'm glad we were all able to help you out. Your trans code should clear once you connect and ground the proper wires. Definitely ground pin 9 that Tom mentioned, it is correct as per the ewd. Enjoy a weekend of hooning around a 2zr swapped Yaris!
Fair enough. I became hyper focused on extraneous aspects of the swap. Recall I said that I overthink things! LOL! EDIT: I did find your reference to checking the ground - post 244!

I do really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. Clearly, it wouldn't have happened without your help. I still have a decent list of things to do, including the A/C and exhaust. It's sounding like I'm going to have to replace my A/C compressor as I put the stethoscope on it and it's quite noisy - bearing I suspect.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-02-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:57 PM   #296
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Cable #1 goes to the starter positive terminal.
Cable #2 goes to the alternator positive post, should be connected to the other attachment point on the front of this fuse block.
The left-over connection #3 in the back is your main ground point to the battery negative post, see how its grounded to the strut tower?
THANK YOU!!!

Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #297
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Well, good it's not a blown fuse/fusible link - that could indicate other problems either current or on the prior xD that hopefully wouldn't have damaged the wiring harness.

Those 2 connectors from the Yaris that you have labelled look like the 2 grounds - body and transmission that I recall. What I don't recall is any heavy gauge cable on an engine harness going to the negative terminal on the battery. Have you run that black cable (2) back to it's source... ?

For giggles, with everything sitting where it is now (battery out), check for continuity between the alternator terminal and that cable (2) - I'm wondering if you've been hooking the alternator up to the negative battery terminal instead of the side of the positive terminal block - which in the pictures you show is missing a connector.. which a quick look at my Yaris I think the red cable to the starter should be on the front of the block and the alternator - which has a black cable with a blue stripe on mine - should be to the backside of the positive terminal block.

edit: apparently while I ran to the garage the other guys already nailed it.

-- Adam
Thanks very much, Adam!!!

Old 11-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #298
06YarisRS

Quote:
EDIT* very sorry for the huge images, still learning how to use imgur, but at least these pics won't ghost in a couple weeks

Alright, in just spent some time looking st my old yaris harness and took a look in my engine bay and I'm pretty sure I know what your problem is.

The xd harness does not come with any large ground terminals that you hook up to your negative post on your battery. You keep your yaris ground cable for that

The xd harness comes with 2 large black wires with terminals and one will have red electrical tape on it and the other will not. These are both power cables that go to your positive terminal on the battery. The one with red tape is the direct line to the starter. They both attach to the two spots on the fusible link junction that you keep from your yaris.

I think your are either missing one of these positive cable ends or are attaching one to your negative side on the battery and/or not.using your yaris ground cables. Either way you need to test your trans case for ground.
If you open your pics in Paint, Trevor, you can resize them before uploading them to imgur. 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600 are good resolutions for the forum. Thanks for the pics.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #299
06YarisRS

No codes after 10 minutes of running!!!

Remaining jobs:

- A/C compressor, o-ring replacement and recharge
- Axle back exhaust
- solder wiring connections
- secure coolant filler neck with bolts

Old 11-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #300
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Most of us were only able to do this swap because of the help of others, and I'm glad we were all able to help you out. ... Enjoy a weekend of hooning around a 2zr swapped Yaris!
^ This!

Glad you got it worked out man! As Trevor noted, find a quiet place and enjoy some honkin' on it; she goes, you smile - it's just the way it is.

If that's the worst idiot moment you have, you're probably doing ok. lol Might feel silly, but nobody got hurt and nothing blew up; pride heals.. although sometime it takes a while to live a good 'whoops' down.

Keep us posted how you make out with the rest of your list, and congrats on the hard work and perseverance!

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #301
06YarisRS

Haha, thanks Adam. Given the support/time investment that you guys generously provided me, I think a little smack down is a minor price to pay. Lol. Oh yeah, and a person has to have pride in the first place to really take offense.

Got hockey practice today, a few other family commitments, and a few odds and ends to tie up on the car, so first drive looks like tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your help, Adam. It has been an experience.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-03-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #302
tmontague

I plan on making a new 2zr swap thread with just the specific info regarding electrical hook up and what to do with the xd vs yaris harness and grounds.

I will keep it just to those specifics and avoid the stuff about how to pull an engine as that is on all the other swap threads.

This was probably the one part I wasnt sure about as it isn't in one section of the swap threads and until I had my harness to look at it was a big question mark for me
Old 11-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #303
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
No codes after 10 minutes of running!!!
Sweet baby Jesus.....we finally got it.

Trevor I think you have a good idea regarding the electrical, clear pictures and instructions on that is definitely needed
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #304
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Sweet baby Jesus.....we finally got it.

Trevor I think you have a good idea regarding the electrical, clear pictures and instructions on that is definitely needed
Yes! It is running strong, free of MILS. The idea to create an electrical thread is a great one. I know that it will help others in the future. I have hundreds of pictures, so, Trevor, if you need any in particular, I'd be happy to provide any needed. It's the least I could do to contribute.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #305
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
We also need a moderator to remove the wrong wiring picture in brushforhires thread...

I was caught sleeping by that one
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #306
06YarisRS

Apparently not out of the woods yet.

On my latest start up, I ran the car for about 1/2 an hour to check my plumbing for leaks. Everything was good. I went back out and started the car and my P2770 is back. I cleared the codes and it returns with each startup. The car has started and run at least 3-4 times without displaying any codes. I am going to recheck all of my connections, but I soldered and heat shrinked all of them with pin 9 grounded. I have full charging and my transmission is grounded - 12.6V at terminals and 12.6V from trans case to positive. This is very strange as I've had several startups and no codes. It must be a bad connection. I'll sand down the contact point on the transmission case where the ground attaches. Will report back after I recheck everything.

Tests completed:

1) have continuity on the blue wire as I repaired it (ECM Pin 78 to C29 pin 10), so my blue wire is good.

2) have continuity from ring terminal on brown wire to female pin 9 in connector C29, so my ground is good. I removed the ring terminal from the block for this test.

3) sanded and tested the ground on the trans case 12.6v tested at the battery and 12.6v using positive battery post and ground.

Observations: If I disconnect the battery terminal for a few minutes, then come back and start the car, it does not light up the MIL, but Torque registers a pending code of P2770. On the second start, the MIL comes on and Torque shows a current fault P2770.

Looking at the diagram for the xD, is it possible that brushforhire was right and it is the blue wire that needs grounding? I didn't have trans ground when I tried the blue wire. Pin 10 in the pic below looks like to goes to ground but I'm still in the learning phase about wiring diagrams. EDIT: Blue wire grounded gives the same code.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-03-2018 at 07:50 PM.