Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
What car will you have in the future a year to 10 years from now?

I am in 2 mindsets. To go electric or stick with gasoline.

I have a list. But mainly i am waiting what is coming our way in a year maybe 2 years from now. I want to see what the electric cars has to offer. I want these car companies to give us what we want to make me stick to gasoline cars.I think it's better to be patience as a consumer in this time.

So far my list includes.

The only gasoline cars that has be excited is 2019 new Mazda 3 looks stunning and has a new engine. Hyundai i30 N and KIA's sports cars.

Tesla model 3 looks good on paper but we shall see.
Vw electric cars looks compelling.

Your thoughts..
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
probably looking at a used S class soon. cant do this yaris conversion thing much longer.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:09 PM   #3
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I'm being patient & seeing what's new for 2019, 2020 & model year 2021. I'm happy with my current car, but I am interested in finally picking up my first automatic after buying/driving nothing but manuals for over 35 years. Driving a manual in congestion just doesn't have much appeal any more - and that is what my normal driving environment is. I'm pretty picky about certain details though (size, tech-bloat, styling, brand, etc.), so most cars don't appeal to me, for one reason or another. I like the idea of buying a hybrid, but the U.S. market choices for subcompact/compact (my vehicle size preference) hybrids is damn pitiful. I'm also too practical/minimalistic in my older age to appreciate or want vehicles in the premium 'Luxury' or 'Performance' categories. I prefer to keep it down to earth. For the environmental abuse they take in daily-driving (not to mention shitty drivers causing accidents left & right), no car is worth paying more than about $25K for me. It's just too depressing when they are continually damaged, etc.

Only Gasoline vehicles of interest currently:
- I still like the current Yaris SE hatchback (in black) - go figure. But, they weren't even stocked in AZ (& quite a few other states) in 2018 by dealerships, & I am wondering if the SE trim level (& Yaris hatch in general) is going to be discontinued in the U.S due to how weak it sells here.
- The new 3rd Gen 2019 KIA Forte (S or EX trim) has perked my interest. I like the Stinger-inspired little-sibling styling (Gravity Grey is my color preference), and the fact that KIA is constantly stepping up their game while companies like Honda are falling down on the styling & quality, sort of makes me want to give them a shot. I like how KIA has developed their own new iVT (CVT) transmission in-house using a metal chain for increased durability/reliability/performance instead of a cheaper belt. Their crazy good bumper-to-bumper & powertrain warranty also means that they are more serious about their products. 2020 might even see a performance version of the new 3rd gen forte, & the new hatchback version should be unveiled sometime in 2019.

Hybrid vehicles:
- U.S. market sucks for hybrids currently in the brands/sizes that interest me, mostly due to styling. Even the relatively normal new 2019 Honda Insight is ruined by Honda's continued poor implementation of the 'fastback' sedan styling in their models (which KIA got right on their 2019 Forte sedan). Plus, I don't trust Honda quality much any more. Too potluck for the flimsy warranty that they offer. I've also read quite a bit of owner postings of failed CVT's in the 30K-75K+ range. Shame, because I was a big fan/supporter of Honda back in the day.

Electric vehicles:
Not interested currently.

-
-
-

Last edited by Kalispel; 10-11-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #4
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
SSV Tahoe to replace my tow pig. its bigger, more power, and more common parts ( the GMT360 platform is a limited run and uses dumb sized hubs.. meaning rims are exclusive)

sports car? still looking for something.
I would do a small b segment EV if they didnt make em shit to drive. the pruis C would be considered if it was fully EV, and if they keep the same suspension as the yaris and pruis C I could have some fun with that, otherwise I think whatever is under 10k manual and clean title ill nab. I used to be fanboy over certain cars but Im so burnt on everything I just want something that runs.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
junorico24

Yeah, electric cars is just around the corner. So here are what we can look forward to: BMW i3, BMW mini electric, Honda EV,Chevy bolt,
Nissan leaf, Hyundai Ioniq, Kia soul Ev and Tesla model 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZVbdnApLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHpMw4m4Uuw

If you have anymore EV models not mentioned in this video. Keep us up to date please share thanks.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
If my trend of working from home continues, I'll probably still have my Yaris as my primary car in ten years lol. My wife is looking at the new Honda Accord Sport, but she's also enjoying not having car payments and in no rush to get into a new one.

Even if I did take a position where I needed to go back to commuting, at around 76k miles, my Yaris would get the job done as well as any new car would. I've asked myself the question "if someone totaled my Yaris, what would I replace it with?" several times and I don't have a strong answer. I'd like a Focus RS but the few with the wrong head gasket scares me, not to mention parts being an issue in the future now that they're discontinued. I think I'd be happy with a new Civic Type R but the entry price is laughable. I'd prob try to find a nice 1-2 year old one, if anything. Still, I could probably find a more fun (albeit older) car for that kind of money.

At the end of the day, I'm just not blown away by anything brand new in the $15-$40k range right now. I'd probably find something older and far cheaper to tinker with before losing drive off value and getting into a payment on something brand new that I'm not super stoked on.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i'd drive a prius V when we need a new family hauler.

currently im in a 2011 subaru outback with a 6 speed manual which runs fine for now.

as most family-sized cars are automatics, id rather just get a hybrid...

for my wifes commuter, it'll be something small-ish and reliable.

ideally, we'll still have the #wrecho pulling track duty
Old 10-10-2018, 12:48 AM   #8
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I'd be happy if I could get another 10 years out of my Yaris. It's been a reliability superstar for me, and I am really only interested in compacts or subcompacts. Also, why would I want a car payment when I haven't had a car payment for almost 6 years now and my Yaris hasn't given me a lick of trouble since I rolled it off the lot. Man, I love this car. The only way I see me getting rid of it is if an immediate family member needs a car, and in that case I'll go with either another Yaris, possibly a Fit, or perhaps a Prius C. But based on my stellar experience with my Yaris, and if they're still available, I'll probably just stick with another Yaris.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
I'd be happy if I could get another 10 years out of my Yaris. It's been a reliability superstar for me, and I am really only interested in compacts or subcompacts. Also, why would I want a car payment when I haven't had a car payment for almost 6 years now and my Yaris hasn't given me a lick of trouble since I rolled it off the lot. Man, I love this car. The only way I see me getting rid of it is if an immediate family member needs a car, and in that case I'll go with either another Yaris, possibly a Fit, or perhaps a Prius C. But based on my stellar experience with my Yaris, and if they're still available, I'll probably just stick with another Yaris.
Reminds me of when I bought a Yarii in 2007. It was so much fun brand new. I thought of keeping if for as long as I could. I paid it off and it was all sweet. But as they say nothing last forever. She got older and developed some problems. I sold her to my brother but he crashed her in rush hour traffic. Do i miss the Yarii? not really. I got over it. Would i get another one? I'm not sure. I know for sure I wont be getting this "Darth vader" grill looking Yarri. It was a good car though. I'd see if the next gen is any better.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #10
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I hear ya, junorico. I wouldn't mind being one of those high mileage stories we read about on the net. "Dude has had his Yaris for 23 years, has 389,452 miles on the odometer. Wants to keep it until it hits 400,000 miles, or more." It probably won't play out like that for me, but I wouldn't mind at all if it did. I want a car payment like I want a toothache. As they say, time will tell.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #11
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Reminds me of when I bought a Yarii in 2007. It was so much fun brand new. I thought of keeping if for as long as I could. I paid it off and it was all sweet. But as they say nothing last forever. She got older and developed some problems. I sold her to my brother but he crashed her in rush hour traffic. Do i miss the Yarii? not really. I got over it. Would i get another one? I'm not sure. I know for sure I wont be getting this "Darth vader" grill looking Yarri. It was a good car though. I'd see if the next gen is any better.
I don't think I'd buy another one if something happened to mine. Not that I haven't enjoyed the car, but I'd want to try something different. Aside from that, like you, I'm not a fan of the newer Yaris' design style.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #12
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I don't think I'd buy another one if something happened to mine. Not that I haven't enjoyed the car, but I'd want to try something different. Aside from that, like you, I'm not a fan of the newer Yaris' design style.
I'm currently leaning towards the new 3rd gen (2019+) KIA Forte (S or EX trim), since the Yaris SE isn't available in my region at all, & I'm thinking it will be discontinued soon in the U.S. anyway. I never thought I would venture outside of certain Japanese brands, but KIA has really been upping its game each generation, and now rival/exceed their various Japanese competition. They are the new 'Honda' it would seem. Perhaps it's time to give them a try in 2020.

Last edited by Kalispel; 10-11-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I'm currently leaning towards the new 3rd gen (2019+) KIA Forte (S or EX trim), since the Yaris SE isn't available in my region at all, & I'm thinking it will be discontinued soon in the U.S. anyway. I never thought I would venture outside of certain Japanese brands, but KIA has really been upping its game each generation, and now rival/exceed their various Japanese competition. They are the new 'Honda' it would seem. Perhaps it's time to give them a try in 2020.
I've always given Hyundai and Kia credit where due for stepping up big time over the last decade or so, but I still don't trust them as much as the Japanese manufacturers. Like the new Yaris, I'm not feeling most of their styling either. The Genesis coupe and Veloster Turbo from Hyundai are the only models I've done a double take for.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Genesis coupe
One of those entered my stable about 6 months ago. Didn't want it but a bizarre chain of events led us to receiving ownership of it. Fun car to drive (forward) and bloody fast. Forums say don't be surprised if it blows the clutch slave cylinder by 100K kms. Sure enough, mine blew at 98K, 1,400K after taking ownership.

This is my 3rd Hyundai since 1984.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #15
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
the possible changes in the next few years ...

upgrade to the i3s

trade the 2016 for a 2018/ 2019 for my roadtrips

what i really want

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
Kalispel

At least you won't have to travel 600-800 miles to find a Yaris SE hatch on the dealer lot.

The 2018 SE model looks quite a bit better than your 2016 SE in those pics. More modern & distinctive. The deeper red color is also MUCH nicer. It reminds me why this car is still one of the two cars on my current short list for my next vehicle purchase. It will be a tough choice between a new Yaris SE hatch & a new 3rd-gen 2019+ Kia Forte S.

I'm still hoping that Toyota won't discontinue the French-built Yaris hatch in the U.S. - most especially in the SE trim level. It would be a shame really, though few would care I guess based on U.S. sales figures.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #17
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
At least you won't have to travel 600-800 miles to find a Yaris SE hatch on the dealer lot.
yea my knucklehead local dealer still has it on the lot months later with a stupid high price
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
yea my knucklehead local dealer still has it on the lot months later with a stupid high price
Stevens Creek, or Sunnyvale? I know Sunnyvale should unload any Yaris they have if they're anything like their sister store, Toyota Marin.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote