Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
DIY: Replacing Stock Mirrors

This DIY is another easy one (my specialty)...should take no more than one hour tops!

This DIY is for replacing your Yaris liftback stock mirrors. This is a great alternative if you have considered installing power mirrors or mirrors with LED turn signal indicators/parking lamps onboard. This is also an alternative to stick-on and replacement mirror covers.

1. Remove your door panel. Refer to the following DIY for instructions on this step: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...+panel+removal

2. The mirror is attached via 3 screws with nuts hidden behind three access holes.

3. Using a wrench with extension remove the 3 nuts from the mirror screws. Observe the base plate that holds the mirror on the car and placement of the 3 screws. Also note from the outside of the car the 3 holes the mirror uses for the screws.

***NOTE: Unless you have tiny fingers or are ultra careful you are guaranteed to lose at least a couple of these nuts in the door (Good news is if you do lose them they are easy to retrieve with a magnetic screwdriver and small needle nose pliers).

4. Remove the factory mirror. Sell on Ebay.

5. Install new mirror. I chose a chrome manual K6 style mirror with LED insert that illuminates in sync with the turn signals and parking lights. I
t came with 3 wires (black = ground/white = signal light/blue = parking light) The supplier had one available with a 3 hole base plate that fit the Yaris liftback perfectly. I threw away the 3 screws supplied and chose bolts instead with washers for a more secure install.

6. Reinstall the door panel wrapping the 3 LED wires under the rubber weather seal on the door to hold in place.

7. Run the 3 wires to appropriate locations (NOTE: you may need additional wire to complete this part). To access side marker turn signal light go thru the black trim piece in front of the mirror base).

7. Enjoy your new Yaris look with the new mirrors!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror01.jpg (89.0 KB, 2729 views)
File Type: jpg mirror02.jpg (98.5 KB, 2384 views)
File Type: jpg mirror03.jpg (93.2 KB, 2351 views)
File Type: jpg mirror04.jpg (149.7 KB, 4928 views)
File Type: jpg mirror04b.jpg (102.3 KB, 2279 views)
File Type: jpg mirror05.jpg (108.9 KB, 4864 views)
File Type: jpg mirror06.jpg (77.6 KB, 2246 views)
File Type: jpg mirror07.jpg (225.4 KB, 2232 views)
File Type: jpg mirror08.jpg (211.4 KB, 2207 views)
File Type: jpg mirror09.jpg (214.0 KB, 2222 views)

Last edited by redyaris; 06-21-2007 at 09:59 PM.
redyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Part 2 pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror10.jpg (221.1 KB, 2143 views)
File Type: jpg mirror11.jpg (185.4 KB, 2055 views)
File Type: jpg mirror12.jpg (141.8 KB, 2048 views)
File Type: jpg mirror13.jpg (117.5 KB, 2051 views)
Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Wow... pretty kewl replacements...
Where did you get 'em?

Nice DIY BTW... Thanks!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Thanks tk! I got em on ebay of course from a reputable seller I highly recommend (the same one I got my chrome door handles from). Shipping was ultra fast (less than one week!!!)

'best in parts' is the sellers ID. Do a search for them.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Very nice write up and nice pictures to go with it.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
nice write up, not fond of the product, but nice DYI on the process

you are getting a lil Ricey there RedYaris
Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
nice write up, not fond of the product, but nice DYI on the process

you are getting a lil Racey there RedYaris
Fixed that for you BY....LOL im like the 'anti Black Yaris'...all chromey and stuff!!!! Nothing stealth here
Old 06-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Now does this apply to Yaris owners w/o power operated side mirrors? Because I have power operated side mirrors so......I want to be careful w/ that part of the wiring. I like my power adjusted side mirrors~

Because the last thing I'd want would be having something fashionable but not functional....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Now does this apply to Yaris owners w/o power operated side mirrors? Because I have power operated side mirrors so......I want to be careful w/ that part of the wiring. I like my power adjusted side mirrors~

Because the last thing I'd want would be having something fashionable but not functional....
I didn't have power mirrors and dont want them however the seller has this and other mirror models with power available. Dont know if it utilizes the existing wiring/switch though.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Thanks tk! I got em on ebay of course from a reputable seller I highly recommend (the same one I got my chrome door handles from). Shipping was ultra fast (less than one week!!!)

'best in parts' is the sellers ID. Do a search for them.
My search for "Yaris power mirrors" yielded no results. Are your side mirrors designed for a different car model?
Old 06-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
woah... quick! to the bling-mobile

Nice to see some more options for mirrors, anyway

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Here's a link to the sellers store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Best-in-Parts

and here's a link to the exact mirror i bought: $99 power, $69 manual (+ shipping). You can order the power one online but for the manual one you have to email the seller direct. For those seeking less bling, it is available in black too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K6-Ch...3962QQtcZphoto

bestinparts is the seller. Highly reliable and good product. Tell em redyaris sent you!

Last edited by redyaris; 06-22-2007 at 05:29 PM.
redyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Part 3 pics: wiring

The mirrors I purchased came with three wires from the LED insert

Blue: routed to parking light
White: routed to turn signal sidemarker
Black: routed to ground

Supplies: I purchased a roll of 18 gauge wire from AutoZone ($5) along with a package of quick splice connectors ($3).

To wire the mirror LEDs you will need to remove the front bumper cover. This is easy! (My thanks to Tiksman for showing me this from the get go with this car!)....There are 6 little black plastic connectors that hold the bumper cover in place (4 under the hood and 1 in each front wheel well). To remove these connectors poke something into the connector center and then pull the connector out.

Then pull the bumper from onboard connector panels at each front quarter panel. It will separate without having to remove any screws....When you do this, the bumper cover will drop down giving you access to the headlights.

You will next need to remove both headlamp housings. To do this remove 3 screw bolts from each housing (2 of the screw bolts are visible from the top of the headlights and 1 is located on the fender side of the headlight).

Move the headlamp housings out of the way. Now you can easily reach inside the front fender and remove the side marker lamp housings by squeezing each side and twisting it out of the fender.

Next run your extra wire from the mirror wires into the front fenders via the black plastic trim piece immediately in front of the mirror mount. No need to remove the trim piece just insert the wire below it. Go around to the headlight area and fish the wires into the engine compartment.

Find any suitable chassis bolt to run the black ground wire to on both sides of the car.

Using a quick splice connector, run the extra wire from the blue wire to the parking light on the back of the headlamp housing. There is a green wire and a white wire. Quick splice into the green wire and your extra wire (blue wire source).

Using another quick splice connector, run the extra wire from the white wire to the side marker turn lamp. Here also you will find a green and a white wire. Quick splice into the green wire and your extra wire (white wire source).

Make sure you wrap all exposed wires and quick splice connects with electrical tape to prevent exposure to moisture and to prevent shorts.

Test your LED mirrors at this point before you remount everything. The LED mirrors should illuminate steady with the parking lamps and also flash in sync with your side marker turn lamps.

If your LED mirrors fail to illuminate check all wires for connections, check your ground wires (I know because my right mirror did not come on, I had a loose ground wire)...

Thats it. Remount your side marker lamps, headlamp housings and mount the front bumper cover.

Enjoy the LED mirrors!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED01.jpg (121.3 KB, 1915 views)
File Type: jpg LED02.jpg (152.1 KB, 1908 views)
File Type: jpg LED03.jpg (116.6 KB, 1893 views)
File Type: jpg LED04.jpg (107.7 KB, 1880 views)
File Type: jpg LED05.jpg (165.0 KB, 1889 views)
File Type: jpg LED06.jpg (196.7 KB, 1872 views)
File Type: jpg LED07.jpg (69.4 KB, 1866 views)
File Type: jpg LED08.jpg (74.6 KB, 1867 views)
Old 06-26-2007, 02:32 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
heh I think you've saved me a lot of time in writing up my last part of the DIY

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-26-2007, 04:55 AM   #15
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Here's a link to the sellers store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Best-in-Parts

and here's a link to the exact mirror i bought: $99 power, $69 manual (+ shipping). You can order the power one online but for the manual one you have to email the seller direct. For those seeking less bling, it is available in black too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K6-Ch...3962QQtcZphoto

bestinparts is the seller. Highly reliable and good product. Tell em redyaris sent you!
Price sounds right for power mirrors. I'll be looking into that once I get my tints, springs, and modified tach done.

Thanks a lot redyaris, appreciate it!
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #16
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
heh I think you've saved me a lot of time in writing up my last part of the DIY

Nice that I do your work for you Teacher!!!

Give me some props people!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:48 AM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Consider it homework.. though you're not even in my class???

A question, though, instead of wiring all the way to the front headlight for the parking light signal, could you not connect them to illumination wires in the cabin somewhere? For example, I have power windows, and on the driver's side, the AUTO text on the switch is illuminated whenever the headlights are on, and I was thinking to tap into that wire, and find a similar one on the passenger side. Whaddaya think?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #18
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Thanks for the write up. It will make it a little easier for us that got our mirror covers through the recent Thai group buy.

I can't really picture how you routed the wires though. Did you fish them through the boot with the rest of the wires from the door and then out through the firewall or what?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote