Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-15-2009, 03:19 AM   #19
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Yeah, it's pretty crazy how much more space the sedan has over the LB. I got to compare the space with JR's.
Ah finally something that is going for the Sedan
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #20
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluYrs View Post
I've had my bulbs changed at the dealer's after changing a pair by myself. The resulting cuts and bruises on my hands did not justify the $10 savings.

Just hoping I won't have to change a lightbulb in the cold dark wintertime on a freeway.
True. I guess if its only a 5-10 min job, the labour to change the bulbs ends up being pennies eh?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #21
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
True. I guess if its only a 5-10 min job, the labour to change the bulbs ends up being pennies eh?
LOL. Not expensive, but not pennies either.

Asked the service guy abt the charge for putting in the lights... i told me it'd be about $32 + tax.

Told him id just do it myself; besides, I think itll be good for me to do it myself, esp something thats not that complicated, like changing a headlamp. (It'll be the very first DIY thing ill have done to my car.)

Sidenote: LOL at Rob's (the service guy) expression of concern when he warmed me against using aftermarket bulbs, bc if they were ones that run hotter (as he implied they'd likely be, w/o really saying so specifically), they could overheat and cause something (forget the expect piece/part he mentioned) to melt... yada yada...

To me it just came off as a speach to worry me abt my not using the Toyota OEM ones which they sell (at a crazy price too!), and using better non-OEM ones, such at the GE Nighthawks I purchased at cdn tire.

I looked up the MSRP of the stock (inferior) bulbs.... $41 US! Jesus!!!

The night hawks were only $25 CDN. Wow... that means you'd pay almost double to get crappier bulbs!

Last edited by Jem_hadar; 07-15-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #22
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
get bulbs from Garm, 18.99$ for a pair of nice Nokyas
A pair eh!? Jesus, thats a sweet deal.

And they're better still than the OEM ones I'm assuming (besides being like 5 times cheaper, too? lol)
Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #23
mrbangus
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 Blue Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I just got done changing the passenger headlamp... After 2 hours in 36 degree weather, cut up hands, cussing under my breath... I did it! I'm not even going to attempt to change the drivers side light when it goes out... I think it's insane how complicated they made it to change the lights on the Yaris. I've changed lights in all of my cars and never had it take over 5-10 minutes (if that) and have never cut my hands changing them.

I was proud of my Yaris until this... I always thought Toyota was more of a simpler car than say a GM or Ford as far as DIY maintenance, thats one of the reasons why I bought it. Forget that! I think Toyota is taking lessons from GM on making maintenance so complicated, they want you to bring it in to a dealer for what used to be simple little tasks. My dealer wanted $45 to change out the one light. Call me old fashioned, but I think thats taking advantage of your customers. I paid $11 for the light and did it myself. But, like many other folks on this thread, the drivers side light just looks too tight of a squeeze for my hands. If Toyota listens to it's customer at all, please listen to this... Simplify this procedure! Not many people have the money to blow these days at a dealership to do petty little diy maintenance. This reminds me of the time I tried to change the spark plugs on my 1998 Olds Bravada... 4 hours, bloody hands (sounds familiar) and I only got 1 plug changed. GM raped me for $400 to change the plugs... They didn't even change the plug wires. I honestly couldn't even tell you if they actually changed the plugs because the Bravada didn't really run any better than before I took it there. I asked why they didn't change the plug wires and they said that isn't part of a tune-up. Unless things have changed in the past several years, that has always been a part of a tune-up. But I guess thats why GM is bankrupt, because they honestly do not care about customers. I want to apologize for my rant, and I want to thank you all for the tips on changing the light and for listening to me babbling like an idiot, lol.
mrbangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #24
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
it takes like 5 minutes to pop the top of the bumper off and unscrew the headlights. Just do that and make life easier.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #25
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
+1 would rather take the mins to do that than cut my hands up. Thats what i did when i changed mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
it takes like 5 minutes to pop the top of the bumper off and unscrew the headlights. Just do that and make life easier.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #26
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
x3, remove the bumper clips and take off the headlight....you also run less risk of touching the halogen or hid bulb with something dirty that will kill the life of it
Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #27
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I bought replacement bulbs 2 years ago and they're still waiting to be put in. After all I've read about changing them in the hatch, I will *definitely* pop the bumper off... good time to change the horn too (which has been waiting for 2 years as well..!)
Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #28
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I believe part of the problem is understanding exactly how the bulb retaining clips are secured.

If don't, you are blindly tying to secure the clips without a clear undestanding exactly how they are configured.

So, I would strongly suggest that you remove the the drivers side healight assembly to familiarize yourself with the clips. The drivers side appears to have the least room to get you fingers in there without removing it.

When I changed mine, I did the passenger side first and it went quickly. Perhaps is was beginners luck?
However, I could not get the drivers side clips fastened and finally resorted to removing the headlight assembly.
It was only then that I truly uderstood exactly how the clips were fastened.
RedRide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #29
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
if ure gonna change the bulbs (in the LB at least) DONT DO IT!! trust me man. after about 2 hours i had a bumperless car and 2 headlights hanging everywhere. looked like crashy, lol.

to save an extra what, 7 bucks its not worth it, go to the dealer.... jsut my 2 cents

and i had some random blue lights to see if they would work, all that work and they dont fit, what a waste.....
Old 06-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #30
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
I just spent the last 20 mins pissing around with this.. im waiting for the weekend and I'll just pop the bumper off and take out the lights..
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #31
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
God yes.......takes 5 min tops to pull the bumper,you really just have to pull the pins at the top and the one in each wheel well,pop out the sides of bumper at wheel well......philips screw driver to remove the three screws holding in each light and easy access to the bulbs......
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #32
Pwr_Dori
13 yr car freak

Drives: 09 toyota yaris Yrs
I'm so happy that my hands are very small and i have a sedan im not a midget im just a thirteen yr old so i probebly wont cut my hands off BUt i might blow the bulbs up i dont want 80.00 aud just to shatter into lil pieces of glass and have them crapy yuk
non yellow-non white-non blue
Pwr_Dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #33
Y.A.R.I.S.
I've made a post!

Drives: European 3 doors grey Yaris II
I usually like to repair my car myself if I can.
But the annual revision is always done by a pro, it's easier to sell the car afterwards if interested buyers see you've brought it to the garage every year.
I changed a headlight bulb last year on my car (Daewoo/Chevrolet Kalos you probably don't know about ;-)) in 20 minutes (First bulb change ever!)

I went to the parts dealer and bought a headlight bulb (H4) $9 for my Yaris.
Then I saw that fusebox... There was only 10 cm (3 inches) of room behind it. It looked impossible to change it myself, so I decided to have it replaced by a professional.
I was there all the time when the two guys did it. They were not official Toyota retailers but I saw they had a lot of pain and it took 30 minutes.

Seriously, Toyota just want us to go to them for any small problem. I'm really disappointed... but they told me it's quite the same or worse on other makes today. The man told me it was easier in the 70-90s because they had a lot of room, and it just took 1 minutes to remove/replace.
It cost me $17 (that's without light bulb which I bought somewhere else).
That's a very good deal, and they checked headlights alignment and oil level!

So I advice you to go to a small garage rather than do it yourself as it really cost nothing and you don't get a headache afterwards and you're won't be frustrated or panic after you've removed your whole bumper...
It really doesn't worth it.
Y.A.R.I.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #34
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i changed the bulbs in our aveo (aka kalos) similarly to the yaris....just take out the headlight. then i installed HID's....just as easily
Old 12-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #35
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Check the how-to for changing over to projector lights to see how to remove the front fasia and headlight housings from the chassis. If I recall correctly some masking tape and a 10mm socket with driver is all it takes to save your skin and temper.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #36
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzinn 1 View Post
God yes.......takes 5 min tops to pull the bumper,you really just have to pull the pins at the top and the one in each wheel well,pop out the sides of bumper at wheel well......philips screw driver to remove the three screws holding in each light and easy access to the bulbs......
This is the correct way. Not hard at all and no bloody knuckles!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote