Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Question Thunk in rear

I think I've seen thread(s) on this before but can't find anything. My car has developed a persistent thunk in the rear that is driving me absolutely bonkers.

I've removed absolutely everything from the back, inspected the suspension, exhaust hangers, seat mounts, and whatever else in, around, or under the car I can see and touch.

Thought I found it when I noticed the axle-back exhaust gasket was shot and maybe the flanges where banging together. Nope.

Again thought I found it when I discovered that two foam rubber cushions under the spare tire had dislodged and maybe the wheel was bumping against the floor pan. Nope.

I can't go over the smallest of bumps without a thunk. Washboard road surfaces, it becomes absolutely crazy.

Any ideas at all????

Last edited by WeeYari; 10-22-2014 at 01:40 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Grab a video so we can hear it. If you can, put the recording device in the rear, so it is closer to the sound.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
ajkochev74

Drives: Yaris
Loose something in jack stowage area? Have you taken everything out and put it back correctly in the trunk area not just spare tire cavity? That is all I got, hopefully it is something simple.

Just though of something, do the rear seats fold down in yours? Might want to check they are secure and don't have any play when upright. Fuel pump cover and pump itself under the seat secure? I recently got rid of a buzz in my car, it turned out to be the passenger side seatbelt housing. Sorry if this isn't helpful, sounds like you've checked everywhere already

Last edited by ajkochev74; 10-22-2014 at 02:51 PM.
ajkochev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
WeeYari

Resolved

On August 6th, I had replaced rear shocks with a set of Munroe OE Spectrum.

One of them went bad. Took them out and compressed them. Dead one had close to zero rebound. It wasn't wet so I don't know exactly what was wrong with it.

Anyhow, time to go and reinstall everything that had been removed and move on to the next adventure.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
On August 6th, I had replaced rear shocks with a set of Munroe OE Spectrum.

One of them went bad. Took them out and compressed them. Dead one had close to zero rebound. It wasn't wet so I don't know exactly what was wrong with it.

Anyhow, time to go and reinstall everything that had been removed and move on to the next adventure.
Anything Monroe that I have ever installed was better suited for the trash bin. Complete waste of time putting that garbage in. Ford Focus with 178'000 km in 8 years on original rear dampers (made in Japan by Tokico) had stronger damping and rebound than Monroe Spectrum that were brand new right out of the box.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Anything Monroe that I have ever installed was better suited for the trash bin. Complete waste of time putting that garbage in. Ford Focus with 178'000 km in 8 years on original rear dampers (made in Japan by Tokico) had stronger damping and rebound than Monroe Spectrum that were brand new right out of the box.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/...=1&*entries*=0
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
bairjo

[quote=WeeYari;748784]On August 6th, I had replaced rear shocks with a set of Munroe OE Spectrum.

Just wondering, how many miles were on your car when you decided the originals needed replaced? ...and no you don't need to refer me to a past thread on that subject...
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
WeeYari

The shocks decided for me. I blew one of my originals in the summer of 2013 at 189,000 kms. Replaced them with a set of low mile OEMs I had and it was one of those that blew this past August after having personally driven 33,000 kms on them.