Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
SWICKENSJR

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Tapping engine while in drive or reverse, at idle only?

I bought a used 2007 Toyota Yaris with 52,000 from the dealership last week and was enjoying the sound system a bit too much so I didnt really notice this noise until a couple days afterwards.

The car runs perfectly, gets excellent gas mileage, no CEL or SES lights, engine oil is good, and no driveability issues that I've noticed whatsoever.

But I noticed when I parked in the structure at my complex I heard a tapping noise echoing off the wall the I was parked against...It's only when the car is in drive or reverse (at idle only, the noise goes away when I accelerate) and disappears when it is in neutral or park. It's not very loud (but easily heard from the echo) and cant be heard if there are other cars around but if i shut the radio off and it's completely silent I can hear this consistent tapping noise coming from under the hood, sounds like it may be on the passenger side. It doesnt sound like metal tapping and I checked to make sure nothing was just rattling against the engine but I couldn't tell.

Does this sound normal and I'm just being paranoid or what?
SWICKENSJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's the rattling of the shift cable. If you look at the TSB list in the DIY section, there's a TSB on it that basically involves using a cable tie to keep it from rattling.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
SWICKENSJR

Thumbs up

Ok, thanks... that makes sense because it does sound kind of like a rattle. Would it also be doing the same thing in drive? I only ask because the TSB and googled complaints only state it's in reverse and mine is doing the same in drive and reverse, even though the sound is slightly louder in reverse.

And at the risk of sounding like a moron... Do you know of any picture or diagram of where I should look for the cable? I really want to avoid the dealer and know I could do this myself if I knew where to look. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That's the rattling of the shift cable. If you look at the TSB list in the DIY section, there's a TSB on it that basically involves using a cable tie to keep it from rattling.
Yaris World is VERY lucky to have you around CTScott!!!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Interesting.. Does this only apply to manuals? I have the same type of noise as of recently, but so far I've attributed it to the multiple tools I've dropped into the engine bay.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Here's a picture of the culprit. The TSB has the tech cable tie the AT cable to the wire bracket. That keeps it from vibrating against the bracket or the exhaust shield. I believe that it does it in both forward and reverse, but in reverse the cable has more slack so it vibrates more.

AT cable and bracket:
AT Cable.jpg

It is most easily accessed from above. It is directly below where the heater core lines enter the firewall, to the left of the brake booster. In this pic, if you looked straight down from the center you'd be looking right at it.

AT Cable Location above.jpg
Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Interesting.. Does this only apply to manuals? I have the same type of noise as of recently, but so far I've attributed it to the multiple tools I've dropped into the engine bay.
Actually it only applies to A/Ts.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #8
SWICKENSJR

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it, honestly. But I went and tied those two together with high hopes but it wasn't that, now that I'm under the hood more it sounds like it may be coming from the engine or something around it. This is so stressful after my last car broke down and I bought this car just a week ago, go figure haha. I'm posting two videos, one of it in drive and one in park, there is a distinct sound in the drive...any ideas? hopefully whatever it is, the extended warranty i bought will cover it!!

PARK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0RN2LlUJsU
DRIVE:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnLz1m2-RpM
Old 11-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
SWICKENSJR

i just noticed when I watched the video on the computer...the sound of the engine isnt actually that loud in person. I guess it's a strong microphone.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Both sound very normal to me.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
SWICKENSJR

Very good to hear. I just thought it sounded really loud, almost sounds like a truck when I'm in an area where there are alot of walls to bounce the sound off of like a drive thru. Especially at :10 in the "Drive" video it sounds ratchety or something. But I have read that yaris' engines are notoriously loud I just wanted to make sure. Thanks everyone for the help, you guys are awesome.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Yeah, it just sounds like your VVT-i doing it's thing. My 2000 Celica had VVTL-i and it also was slightly noisy. New engines have so much more going on, those noises aren't going away any time soon.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
3dr5speedblk
StickShift

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB
Your just paranoid!! This happened to me once, on a 06' VW GTI
close the hood and drive it!!
Turn the radio back up
Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Frankd1

Drives: 2008 RS, 5spd
I'm pretty sure as well that is quite normal, I know that these Yaris engines tend to be a bit noisy, the valve train tends to make a little more noise than other engines and that sounds like what it is in your video...
Frankd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
SWICKENSJR

Thank you guys all very much for your input, not as stressed. One last question What if this sound only occurs at idle when the engine is completely warm? usually happens only after driving for about 5-10 minutes. It purrs after the rpms lower when the car is warming up and then makes the tapping noise you can hear in the video only after warm at idle, and I just noticed yesterday that if I hold two of the windows buttons (as if im rolling them up, even though theyre already up) and hold it for a second the noise appears again, even in park! I'm glad to hear it may just be normal and I think I'm just becoming more paranoid from reading through other posts/forums about engine tapping noises. But just wanted to clarify these last two points. Anyhow thanks for all the help again.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #16
SWICKENSJR

Well the car gave a quick 1 second squeal when I started it morning when I was leaving for work, it was pretty cold out but I'm guessing it is a loose belt or something hopefully. Taking it to Toyota tomorrow morning to get that checked out and I figure I'll have a tech take a quick ride with me and have him take a listen. Who knows? If the squeal is caused by a belt maybe the belt is causing the noise too or maybe not. haha. I'll post an update tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
SWICKENSJR

Thumbs up

Well all I can say for myself is I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. haha

Just as you all had suspected and told me, in regards to the tapping... I was just being paranoid, the tech said it sounds perfectly normal. Basically he said it was the fuel injectors and the VVTi kicking in when load is put on the car. or something like that.

The squeal was from the serpentine belt being cracked - it's getting replaced as we speak along with a recalled part. (glad I took it in)

Anyways thanks to everyone that posted. The knowledge in this forum is AWESOME!

Tags
engine, idle, noise, tap, tapping