Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
six6two

Drives: altima
Mini Cooper S vs. Yaris

Hey guys. I'm JD from SC. I'm getting a new car soon. Two that I'm considering are the Yaris and a Mini Cooper S. I know stock for stock, there's no comparison. What about a decently modded Yaris vs. a Cooper S? Is it possible to get a RELIABLE 160-180hp out of a Yaris? If so, how much would it cost? I'm working with 14k here. So that's my budget. I'd rather have a tricked out Yaris on an equal playing field with a Cooper S than a stock Cooper S like everyone elses.
six6two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
Unless you plan on dumping a lot of money and time into the Yaris, get a Mini S. In order to compete w/ the Mini S internal engine components must be upgraded (lower compression pistons and piston rods) for a reliable forced induction setup. Even then it will not handle as good as a Mini. Suspension mods are needed and maybe even a Limited slip differential as well. It can be done but is costly. You can bolt on a Blitz supercharger w/ stock components, but it will not generate as much power as the Mini S.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
I would think a stock Mini would be a better platform to build on. Why not save your money and buy the car you really want now and then slowly build it? Why do you have to have it all now?

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
six6two

Drives: altima
Well I won't have money to build on a cooper. Whatever I get, I'm going to spend the money I've got for a vehicle on it now, and then I don't plan on spending any more "build" money until I get out of college and get a good job. The Mini does seem like the way to go. I'd also like to to a couple of auto x's maybe, and all the mods to a yaris would throw me into a ridiculous class.
six6two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Have you thought about buying a used Mini Cooper or even a used Yaris? I've seen some decent deals around my town.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
I would read up a bit on Mini's especially if you are a college student and you are considering the "S" trim. They are not most reliable cars in the world, atleast nowhere NEAR as reliable as a Yaris. I debated a Cooper S and a Yaris for a few month before deciding on the Yaris. I have contemplated selling or trading in my Yaris but at the end of the day, the reason I got the Yaris was for daily transportation and it really delivers on the reliability end of things. It lacks power and grunt, of course but I have a handful of other cars to deliver on that for me.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Looks like you want something now and it doesn't look like you'll have time to do any modding if you're going to school. Just get the Cooper S now. Maybe the S isn't as reliable but think of how much babysitting is needed of the performance components you would put in the Yaris to get it up to the numbers you asked.

Derflosser, I'm not countering your words, it seems he doesn't want just a daily driver. So with this train of thought a supped out Yaris might have the same reliablilty as the Copper as you found out in your research.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
09box

Drives: 09 grey Yaris hatch
Coopers aren't the most reliable cars in the world. When things go wrong with them, be ready to pay out the wazoo for them. If they made a base stripped down Cooper with no power anything and no sunroof, i'd take a second look at one but it looks like they won't be doing that anytime soon so my vote is for Yaris.
09box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
To make a Yaris even remotely competitive with a Cooper anything, I think about $10,000 or so is needed in mods, or maybe not quite that much. But a custom turbo setup with a great tune and all the other associated supporting mods for it are a minimum, and then a good suspension setup and neither of those are cheap. And then you are still stuck with the Yaris' suspension setup problems, and who knows what with the turbo setup, depending on your choices there.

I agree though, for inexpensive sporty cars, go used. You can't beat that. You can spenda few grand, and even if the cars needs a grand or two put into it, you are still saving a ton of money for real modifications.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I would think the Mini Cooper S will have a higher insurance rate compared to the Yaris. I say, just get a base Yaris 3-door, slap on the Blitz S/C, and do some suspension mods. Although, I'm sure these mods will put you in a class well above the Yaris' capabilities in an auto-x.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Have you ever thought about a used STi? Sure, they're not as reliable, but it's a thought.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
used mr2 maybe?
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
if you're a poor college student, get the yaris....itll be better on gas (and you don't need premium) and oil changes will cost half as much.

later, when you have money you could go w/ a custom turbo to get close to cooper S performance...but it won't be cheap

don't get me wrong, id rather have a cooper S over a yaris any day of the week, but when it comes to practicality in your situation, i think you'd be best served w/ a yaris
Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
The Yaris is still fun to drive even w/ no mods.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Its usually about driving skills as i'm sure there are many Mini owners that i could thrash on the twisties with my yaris..so i'd go for the $12k Yaris than the $30k Mini then throw in $5k of suspension and engine mods and a custom license plate=(Miniklr)
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
First of all, are you looking at new cars?

We're comparing a $23K sports car with a $14K economy car. I understand the idea is to take a Yaris and mod it but I don't think it's a project that makes much sense. Getting a Yaris near 172HP? Geez. Too expensive and turns the Yaris into something it's not meant to be. I'm totally open to modding but if youy looking for the performance of a Cooper S, you might as well go with that. The Yaris hardly has that potential. Remember, it's basically a Mini-BMW.

Are you considering a Yaris just for it's body/styling? Because the Yaris is specifically meant to be low cost, reliable, basic, fuel efficient transportation (although we will all tell you that it's a lot more ). Seems like you want to take away everything that the Yaris is designed for. You would essentially make it expensive, less reliable, and less fuel efficient. Clearly, these 3 main factors aren't your priority so it makes me wonder why you want it.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
advocate

Drives: car
You can't compare the two cars because the Mini is a lot more expensive and weighs more, even though it's smaller.

You could get a Yaris way past a Mini Cooper with the price difference between the two.

Plus as Barber said the Yaris just makes more sense for a college student.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by six6two View Post
I'm working with 14k here. So that's my budget. I'd rather have a tricked out Yaris on an equal playing field with a Cooper S than a stock Cooper S like everyone elses.
Err... 14k buys a Yaris, and nothing more. That's what you told us your budget is, right?
You're about 10k short of a Mini.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote