Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2007, 11:22 PM   #37
nicholmikey

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Oil Filter

Oil filter is just right of the oil pan, very easy to access.

Tool? use your hands!

I suggest a FRAM filter due to the grip built right on to the filter!

I manage a Jiffy Lube, Yaris is by far the easiest oil change I have ever seen.
nicholmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 AM   #38
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
i got the oil filter cups... works great lol
Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #39
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Can't believe I am yet again buying into this debate. But, here goes my 3 and a half cents:

I don't see why so many people are using the K&N filter, as it clearly states right on the box, that the multi-pass efficiency is only like 96%. Go with a Bosch (autozone) or Mobil (autozone or advance), both cheaper and have at least 98-99% efficiency. The only real advantage to having the K&N is a huge burst strength, and that nut welded on the end for easy install/removal (not that we need that). Now I ask you all: have you ever seen a filter burst? Known anyone who has? Unless it's a high power engine, racing, there is WAY too little pressure to make an average filter explode. In addition, Fram, Pennzoil and such duplicate filters are all bargain-basement crap filters, as has been proven. Ok, off the soapbox, back to my seat
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #40
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
Can't believe I am yet again buying into this debate. But, here goes my 3 and a half cents:

I don't see why so many people are using the K&N filter, as it clearly states right on the box, that the multi-pass efficiency is only like 96%. Go with a Bosch (autozone) or Mobil (autozone or advance), both cheaper and have at least 98-99% efficiency. The only real advantage to having the K&N is a huge burst strength, and that nut welded on the end for easy install/removal (not that we need that). Now I ask you all: have you ever seen a filter burst? Known anyone who has? Unless it's a high power engine, racing, there is WAY too little pressure to make an average filter explode. In addition, Fram, Pennzoil and such duplicate filters are all bargain-basement crap filters, as has been proven. Ok, off the soapbox, back to my seat
I only use WIX filters myself. My family has been using them in heavy equipment for years and we get normal oil analysis and even chop filters just to check element material. Fram is not my filter of choice either.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #41
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
I haven't had much luck with the end caps that Toyota, Napa and Sears sells, so I'm ordering the one that's made by Assenmacher... think it's all aluminum and less than $20 shipped.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #42
frbl

Drives: 2005 Scion xA
+1 for the Assenmacher.
frbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #43
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
Yea I had to hammer the filter wrench onto the filter to get it off. Lucky I got it AZ for 2.80. It was annoying though because you really need a slight stand off or you cant get the 3/8 extension on. When you insert it, it wants to push off. I used some folded up masking tape to make a stand off. Then I was able to get the filter off. However I couldn't get the oil "socket" off and said screw it and threw it in with the filter collection. I won't need another because I'll never have anyone change the oil other then myself, ever again.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #44
Clintondmb

Drives: '08 3DrLB.
I use my hand unless it's torqued on there really good. Otherwise I have a par of filter pliers for when oomph is needed.
Clintondmb is offline   Reply With Quote