Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #73
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
For just an intake manifold spacer, these are awesome gains!
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #74
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
Bummer great mod, but out of my price range right now. I'm curious Tooter, what do you think the spacer would yield on a bone stock Yaris?
From the dyno tests I've seen, a stock Yaris makes about 91 horsepower and 91 foot pounds of torque at the wheels.

So extrapolating the results I got with my engine, the spacer would only make about 92 horsepower and 94 foot pounds of torque.

Note on the graph that the peak values for both hardly go up at all with the spacer. The biggest difference is in the profile of the torque curve, and that the torque peak is reached 450 rpm sooner.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #75
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
For just an intake manifold spacer, these are awesome gains!
It's not so much the peak gains themselves as they're actually quite small, it's more how they're distributed in particular the torque. I was really happy with the results on my Tacoma, and the Yaris turned out even better than the truck.

Greg
Old 02-05-2014, 12:55 AM   #76
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
In the meantime, can you source a shipping quote to L0P 1K0 Ontario, Canada? Preferably USPS.
Sure. The spacer and hardware will fit into a USPS international medium flat rate box which is $42.25. That same box ships domestically for $12.35, so the additional shipping cost to Canada would be $30.

Greg
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #77
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
tooter just curious if theres an issue with the stock airfilter box moving 2 inch forward?

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #78
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Sorry Greg, that came in higher than I thought it would. I do applaud the results of your insatiable curiosity.

Look forward to seeing what you dream up next.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #79
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
tooter just curious if theres an issue with the stock airfilter box moving 2 inch forward?
I don't know because I run a short ram that just moves along with wherever stock throttle body is. The stock rubber hose is pretty flexible, but I don't know if it will offset 2 inches.

I do know the lines that circulate coolant through the base of the throttle body will be too short. So I simply connected them to each other using a short scrap of tubing as a coupling.

Greg
Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #80
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
The spacer and hardware will fit into a USPS international medium flat rate box which is $42.25. T
No need for the extra expense of a flat rate box. 2 pounds (guessing) to Canada is $28.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #81
tooter
play every day

Thanks Garm.

Then it's $16 extra to ship to Canada.

I posted a thread in the For Sale section where anyone can add their name if they're interested.

Greg
Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #82
marcus
toyota

i was hoping itll be under $200 shipped.. but it is definetely something to think about..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #83
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
My thing was that tooter usually makes short runs of products. I was thinking of doing this later on but the issue is they may not be available so I am going ahead and biting the bullet.

I guess that is the thing with specialized products. I joined after the Piggies short throw shifter was long gone so I had to wait for garm to come out with his. Waiting about killed me so I am a little more apt to jump on something if I know quantity is limited.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #84
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
My thing was that tooter usually makes short runs of products. I was thinking of doing this later on but the issue is they may not be available so I am going ahead and biting the bullet.

I guess that is the thing with specialized products. I joined after the Piggies short throw shifter was long gone so I had to wait for garm to come out with his. Waiting about killed me so I am a little more apt to jump on something if I know quantity is limited.
Demand for a product like this is slight because the market is paper thin and quickly saturated. So I only make short runs. I'm just happy to have the prototypes for my own use, and sell a few more to cover all of the design, prototype machining, dyno testing, raw materials, production, mounting hardware and gaskets, and shipping costs. So far I've been able to break even on both the tooter intake manifolds and the tooter II.VII spacers. So now I'm recycling the same startup money into the tooter I.V spacer project.

Greg

Last edited by tooter; 02-06-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #85
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

I do know the lines that circulate coolant through the base of the throttle body will be too short. So I simply connected them to each other using a short scrap of tubing as a coupling.

Greg
Bypassing the coolant flow through the throttle body, probably marginal lower intake air temp.

Guess i should get this spacer rather than a exhaust header, more practical to have the same torque at lower rpms (everyday driving RPM).

My guess is Id save a little gas by being able to be in 5th doing 25mph in Residential area. Also probably can stay in 5th and still have passing torque on freeway.

**So this spacer moves the same profile curve to the left. And the tooter manifold with 1ZZ TB just gives higher max numbers. Between those two, the spacer is better for a normal day to day use car?

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274

Last edited by ezhacker1; 02-06-2014 at 08:53 PM.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #86
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i was hoping itll be under $200 shipped.. but it is definetely something to think about..

Sorry man... it's extremely expensive to design, test, and manufacture small amounts of highly specialized parts. So everyone gets to weigh the cost to benefit ratio and decides for themselves.

Greg
Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #87
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Sorry man... it's extremely expensive to design, test, and manufacture small amounts of highly specialized parts. So everyone gets to weigh the cost to benefit ratio and decides for themselves.

Greg
dont apologize ..no worries i kinna understand the whole process..

Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #88
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
Bypassing the coolant flow through the throttle body, probably marginal lower intake air temp.

Guess i should get this spacer rather than a exhaust header, more practical to have the same torque at lower rpms (everyday driving RPM).
I don't know... that TRD header in the For Sale section is a really good deal . And from looking at it's design with the slightly longer runners, it would also add bottom end torque. I just don't know how much.

Quote:
My guess is Id save a little gas by being able to be in 4th doing 25mph in Residential area. Also probably can stay in 5th and still have passing torque on freeway.
The spacer makes it easy to short shift at 2,000 rpm around town without lugging the engine. It's also really easy to take off from a standing start without a lot of clutch slipping or revs. It generally makes normal everyday driving more pleasant.

Now that the ECU has settled in and the car is all gassed up, I'm ready to log some mileage readings. I'll let you know the results, for better or for worse.

Quote:
**So this spacer moves the same profile curve to the left. And the tooter manifold with 1ZZ TB just gives higher max numbers. Between those two, the spacer is better for a normal day to day use car?
For regular transportation driving... the tooter I.V spacer beats the hell out of the tooter manifold!

I'm going to experiment with the tooter et manifold by taking off the top of the plenum, and see if I can lengthen the runners from the inside.

Greg
Old 02-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #89
RJay

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris T-sport
Those are quite spectacular g ains, very nice! :)
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #90
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
I may just have to get this...trade for my tooter? My car is DD more then race car ;)

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote