Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #19
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I'm just a Toyota person. I was born and raised in Toyota's, and to me honda's have only been trying to copy Toyota.

I'm not saying they aren't decent cars, but who wants "a decent car"?

I've never liked Honda's. It is odd for someone who has grown up in the sport compact car crowd, but that is just how I feel. To me Toyota's are just better.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #20
Leenis24
lil' town up north

Drives: 07 Yaris LB 5 speed Meteorite
Pros and Cons people. Dont get me wrong, likes and dislikes about both, its just the likes for the Yaris overpower the likes for the FIT, for me. And being a hardcore Toyota fan like myself, why would i buy the Honda over the Toyota. I do like Honda's as well, i just think the styling could've matched better with the more atractive new Civic and Accord, you know tie it all in. But everyone has there own bowl of soup i guess.
Leenis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #21
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Hey, I'm a Toyota guy myself now (after 6 Honda/Acura cars in a row). I just think it is important to understand the strengths and weaknesses of all potential choices before making an intelligent decision. Personally I had to choose between the "Fit" and the "Yaris", because I wanted to support a dealership in town (I suppose I might have considered the Hyundai, Suzuli, and Kia models if there had been dealers close by). I also test drove GM small cars, but was not impressed. The "Fit" impressed me as being an excellent design mechanically, though not aesthetically. Having had so much experience with Hondas, I know them to have good performance, and reliabilty. I don't think anyone buying a "Fit" would be unhappy. For me however the Yaris was a superior choice. I was able to get an RS with B-Pac, and lowering springs for less than a "Fit" LX, and the Toyota is better looking (in my opinion anyway) too. I also preferred the Toyota Dealership in town and the fact that Toyota offers options like the lowered suspension, and 18" wheels without affecting the warranty. I don't need to slag the Honda as "PURE CRAP", because no matter how good the "Fit" may be or how well it may sell, In my opinion the "Yaris" is the best car in the super-sub class.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #22
Leenis24
lil' town up north

I totally agree with what you just said. I never said the FIT was pure crap, i just liked the yaris a bit more. The FIT will probably be a great car, Hondas always were in my opinion, its all about what fits the persons individual style. And yes, Toyota having all the aftermarket TRD parts is a big plus in my book.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #23
ricko

No L, it was someone else who called the Honda 'PURE CRAP". Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #24
Leenis24
lil' town up north

oh, totally alright, i didn't take it as anything but conversation. No harm
Old 04-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #25
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
I totally called it pure crap, and by that I meant the looks. I finally saw one today in person and they're just plain old ugly! But come on, if I actually meant that about the reliability or build quality of a Honda, I think I'd have to slap myself. We all know they're one of the best built cars out there.
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #26
ricko

Glad to clear that up. I don't like the looks either, and despite how good the "Fit" may be, I think as an all-round package the "Yaris" is superior.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #27
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Honda Fit did well in this comparo test:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ap-skates.html
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #28
ricko

Of course it did well, the "Fit" is a proven car. I think a more appropriate comparison would be between the "Fit" Sport, and a Canadian Yaris RS 5-Door. The Canadian RS seems better spec'd than the American version, and is still about $1000 (Can.) less than the "Fit". At this price point, a thousand $$$ makes a big difference.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #29
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Well, and they're comparing it against the Yaris sedan which as I understand it is practically a completely different car than the Yaris Liftback/5 DR. Different suspension, longer wheelbase, etc. That isn't to say the Fit Sport sucks, it's just that it's not a great comparison.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #30
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

The temper tantrum is a decent car, but C&D recieved 36 mpg for the Yaris, and they fail to mention the mileage they got in the temper tantrum. They also noted the Yaris is lighter, and weight is the enemy.

I think a 3 dr lb with a few mods will make a temper tantrum look like a little child does next to a NFL lineman.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #31
ricko

I agree ...... it was kinda like comparing apples to oranges. An all 5-Door comparo would have been better. A super-sub competition!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #32
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
They should've compared the xA to the Fit, Rio5, Caliber, Reno, Versa and left out the Accent if you ask me. Then again, I'm not one of their editors. I know why they'd say they didn't include the xA: because it isn't new. And, I'm sure they used the Yaris sedan because it was a four-door.

Regardless, I think I'd buy a Yaris liftback (even without the tach) if my xB blew up tomorrow (without me in it, of course).
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #33
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
but C&D recieved 36 mpg for the Yaris, and they fail to mention the mileage they got in the temper tantrum. They also noted the Yaris is lighter, and weight is the enemy.

They got 35mpg for the Honda Fit. Not bad considering it is "oh so heavy" and has good acceleration and large boot & cargo space.

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cd29ce.gif
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #34
ricko

A little off topic, but ............ if someone offers you a test drive in the new Civic SI, do not take it! That car is amazing!!!!!!!!! Obviousy at close to $10K (Can.) more than the Yaris RS you would expect that, but even at the price it is in my opinion a tremendous value.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #35
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey415
They got 35mpg for the Honda Fit. Not bad considering it is "oh so heavy" and has good acceleration and large boot & cargo space.

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cd29ce.gif
You think they would've mentioned that in the piece. It is cool to see the Yaris has less lb per hp.

If C&D can average 36 mpg with a yaris it should not be so hard to get 40.

Also, the Yaris is faster to 100 mph, it had a faster quarter mile speed, better rolling 5-60 time, and of course better mpg.

It says the Yaris has a govenor, we will have to figure away to remove it.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #36
ricko

Power to weight ratio is a very important factor, with small underpowered cars like the Yaris and Fit.