Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
zkay

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan 4-DR
Did I overfill my oil?

Hello

I recently made a thread in the Fuel Economy subforum titled, "Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20". In short, I was asking opinions about that brand of oil. I wound up using the same brand, but in 0W-30, with a wix filter #51394.

My question here is, the jug I bought was marked 5 quarts. I looked up the manual for my yaris online, and it said that 3.9 quarts was the correct amount to fill with a new filter. I just filled it to slightly above the last quart line on the bottle, let it sit a few minutes, then drove it a few miles to check the oil.

I checked the oil and there is a small amount of oil all the way above the top fill marker. This is after wiping the dipstick off and trying to take another reading.

The way the oil looks on the dipstick, there is a solid line of oil all the way across and up the dipstick until about 3/4 of the way between the full and low marks, and then the line of oil shrinks to about half it's size and continues to run up the dipstick past the full mark. I don't know how this can be, seeing as I put in what was asked for.

I did a search here, and came up with the following quote,

Quote:
Over and over, I have found that it is not enough to just wipe the dipstick... somehow oil gets farther up the dipstick than the true indication--I think it picks up oil from the dipstick tube as it's inserted and withdrawn. I find that unless the dipstick has been sitting in the engine for awhile (with the engine off of course), it's very hard to tell where the actual level is just by wiping off the dipstick and inserting/removing the dipstick to take the reading. (Especially with fresh oil; when the oil gets darker, it's quite a bit easier to tell.)

I have found the easiest way for me to get an accurate reading is to check in the morning, and to just pull out the dipstick and take the reading. No wiping necessary, and no false indication of a higher level. Also, one side of the dipstick always seems easier to read than the other--don't ask me why.

And to those who say the correct fill is 3.5 quarts, maybe you aren't changing your filter at the same time? Or maybe you did, but didn't re-check the level after running the engine and filling up the dry filter? or maybe you didn't get a good reading due to not waiting long enough after replacing the dipstick, like I was saying above?

I have confirmed at least 5 or 6 times now that 3.9 quarts is correct. There's no way I can figure out that 3.5 quarts would be enough oil for a full fill (assuming a complete drain and a new filter, and an accurate level reading).

AR
So, am I not alone in this? Did I overfill my oil?

I can take pictures and upload them, if it helps.

Thanks,

-zkay

Last edited by zkay; 06-19-2012 at 10:36 AM.
zkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
I think that little article is spot on... Regardless of whether ive just drained my oil or right after ive filled it up.. its always hard to get a correct reading.. So I have always just made sure that I add just under 4 quarts, like you said you did, and know that its right.. Ive never had any problems..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Thanks ... this is good information to know.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
ViosFan

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
That quote sounds right. The only other reason I could think of is the older oil still sitting in the pan
ViosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
zkay

Thanks for the replies, guys. I will just not worry about it. : )
Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
FWIW.......

Over filing a small amount is perfectly fine in most engines. The only thing you have to worry about is filling it so high, that the crank contacs the oil in the pan when the engine is running.
This could cause foaming to one degree or another and effect oil pressue and/or lubrication to one extent or another .

Consider this..... when the engine is runing, oil is circulating and the level in the pan lowers.
Botrom line, if you run the engine a bit hard for a short time and absolutely no foaming is noticed on the dipsick, you are fine.

Anyway, most all modern automotive engines are designed to allow for slight "overfilling" above published specs .
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
FWIW.......

Over filing a small amount is perfectly fine in most engines. The only thing you have to worry about is filling it so high, that the crank contacs the oil in the pan when the engine is running.
This could cause foaming to one degree or another and effect oil pressue and/or lubrication to one extent or another .

Consider this..... when the engine is runing, oil is circulating and the level in the pan lowers.
Botrom line, if you run the engine a bit hard for a short time and absolutely no foaming is noticed on the dipsick, you are fine.

Anyway, most all modern automotive engines are designed to allow for slight "overfilling" above published specs .
Great to know, thank you. I don't usually drive my car very hard - the overwhelming majority of my driving takes place between 1800-2100rpm.

As far as "foam", what should I look for? Will the entire dipstick be covered in foam? Will there just be tiny bubbles at one end?

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
zkay

Here's a picture, although it's hard to make out the oil because it's still really clean.

Towards the top mark, you can see the small streak of oil above the full mark. It isn't a solid line, which makes me more confident in the idea that it's just accumulated oil in the tube.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
My Yaris has a plastic dipstick ... where did you get the metal dipstick from ? Is that OEM .. or did you buy one aftermarket ?
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
My Yaris has a plastic dipstick ... where did you get the metal dipstick from ? Is that OEM .. or did you buy one aftermarket ?
Dunno, it just came with it when I got the car.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The oil level on your dipstick looks fine to me.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote