Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #37
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Painted Exhaust System

Although my exhaust system is in decent shape - most of it - I decided to paint it with VHT Flameproof paint. I used this on my old Dodge Grand Caravan and it stuck like glue. It stayed on there for years and any other high heat paint I'd put over it bubbled off leaving the Flameproof fully intact.

Process:

First I wire brushed everythng off, then sprayed it liberally with Rust Check Rust Converter. After that dried, I gave it a light sand and washed it off with brake cleaner. I applied 3 coats about 10 minutes apart. After about an hour, I did the first stage curing - about 15 minutes idling. half an hour later I went for a short drive. I could smell the stuff curing. In about 1/2 hour we're going out for a short drive for the final curing.

For anyone unfamiliar with the product, it s a ceramic based coating that can handle extreme heat. Of course, preparation is key. Here's hoping it stays around as well as it did on the van. It looks better and should provide a little protection to the outer surface this winter. I do have a small hole in the mid pipe which I patched with fiber resin tape. It's very solid and quiet. However, I will be replacing this section of pipe.

Pics:

Yes, I do have too much time on my hands.

Check out all the thick goopy undercoating.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-25-2017 at 11:22 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #38
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
Its prity bad corrosion under her rear but no holes i will probs use a can off black under seal and cover her ass, with my car its just delaying the inevitable shes had one new wing and new door sill so she still solid although i might paint the petrol tank with fibre fill mixed with resin cos of slight leak on a full tank.As for the rock salt on the roads " ditto "Lets hope we have another mild winter
Yes, salty water is the devil's brew. I am going to be putting bed liner in my driver's side rear wheel well after a good scraping, sanding and primimg. I already did the passenger side. The factory rubberized undercoating is pretty much beaten off but the wells are in great shape; mostly factory paint and a few small surface rust spots. Once the bedliner dries, I'll be soaking it with rustproofing as well as attacking it from behind with the rust proofing.

Best of luck with your repairs. Typically, these days, the body gives out long before the powertrain, especially with the high quality mechanics of these cars.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-04-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #39
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Well, I'm not super impressed with these mats. My kids somehow seem to be little gravel magnets and bring them in on their shoes. The back mat already has a few unremoveable scratches. My van liners on the other hand - subject to the same gravel assault, and equipped with WeatherTechs - are in prefect shape despite being much older. The Aries ones look great, but I'm having doubts about their durability. Frankly, I'm wishing I'd shelled out more bucks and got the weatherTechs.
Interesting. My back carpets are still in good shape, so I just bought the front two. Again, I'm not sure if there's a difference between the Aries model you got and what I have. The 3D Maxpider Kagu mats I got boast a triple layer design of non-stick on the bottom, padding in the center and then weather proof upper. So far, they're holding up great.

I would have liked to go with Weathertech because I really like the company (my window visors are Weathertech), but it wasn't a cost thing for me, it was a design thing. In your van, or in a truck, I'm sure they look great. In a small passenger car, not so much. Just my opinion, but I think they're too utilitarian looking. Something you'd put in a work truck. The 3D's are a lot nicer looking for a passenger car.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #40
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Interesting. My back carpets are still in good shape, so I just bought the front two. Again, I'm not sure if there's a difference between the Aries model you got and what I have. The 3D Maxpider Kagu mats I got boast a triple layer design of non-stick on the bottom, padding in the center and then weather proof upper. So far, they're holding up great.

I would have liked to go with Weathertech because I really like the company (my window visors are Weathertech), but it wasn't a cost thing for me, it was a design thing. In your van, or in a truck, I'm sure they look great. In a small passenger car, not so much. Just my opinion, but I think they're too utilitarian looking. Something you'd put in a work truck. The 3D's are a lot nicer looking for a passenger car.
I agree about the aesthetics. The mats we have do look great. I'll get over the scratches soon. Haha. After all, they are there mainly to protect the carpet. The WeatherTechs do have a bit of an 'industrial' look, definitely.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #41
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
These are what I put in my Soul last year. Love them. Weathertech fit with a carpet surface layer.

https://www.findway.ca/f518-style-3d...tchback/62170b

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #42
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
WeeYari, those are really nice mats! Is the carpet surface durable and easy to clean?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #43
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
WeeYari, those are really nice mats!
+1

On Wheelwell
Old 09-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #44
WeeYari

Quote:
Is the carpet surface durable and easy to clean?
Yes and very. You would never guess it to look at them now that they had weathered a salt laden winter.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #45
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
These are what I put in my Soul last year. Love them. Weathertech fit with a carpet surface layer.

https://www.findway.ca/f518-style-3d...tchback/62170b

Ooh...I do like those! I've never heard of them before.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #46
06YarisRS

Tomorrow's Projects

I picked up my pipe, tint for the rear windows (35%) and rubber bumper protector.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #47
06YarisRS

Bumper Protector and pipe installed

The tint was an abject failure. My fault for rushing the job.

The bumper protector looks pretty good and should never come off. I used a pile of 3M tape and heated it to ensure a good bond.

Exhaust pipe went on without too much incident. I am going to get it welded though as the flange lined up with a flattened spot on the stock pipe so seal with clamp isn't 100%. Some muffler cement filled the small gap temporarily.

Bumper protector and a bit of paint film on hatch edge:

Some paint film on bumper :

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-23-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #48
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ That should do the trick. Looks good.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #49
06YarisRS

Quote:
^^^ That should do the trick. Looks good.
Yup, should do. Can't complain for $8.00.

I kinda rushed the paint film and should have cut a smoother radius, but what the hey, you can barely see it anyway unless you're looking for it.

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #50
WeeYari

Where'd you get that exhaust pipe?

Old 10-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #51
06YarisRS

Quote:
Where'd you get that exhaust pipe?

Rock Auto. Part 750-253. Here's a link:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....1738&jsn=10382

It's a great, and cheap, alternative to buying the whole cat pipe. It was like $55.00 CAD shipping included (to my US post box).

BTW, do you know if CTScott is still here and selling cruise control units? Thanks man! I sent you a PM. If you'd be so kind as to let me know if you receive it, I'd be very appreciative. Not sure my PMs are sending as there's nothing in my sent box.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-04-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #52
ern-diz

So, that exhaust pipe deletes the muffler?

On Wheelwell
Old 10-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #53
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
So, that exhaust pipe deletes the muffler?
No. Look at it again and you will see the muffler connecting flange on the end of it. That piece he got replaces a portion of the pipe aft of the resonator.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #54
ern-diz

Quote:
No. Look at it again and you will see the muffler connecting flange on the end of it. That piece he got replaces a portion of the pipe aft of the resonator.

I see, thanks. At first glance, it looked like the end opposite of the side that connects to the resonator was an exhaust tip.

On Wheelwell

Last edited by ern-diz; 10-05-2017 at 02:15 PM.