Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #163
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
If you want, you can purchase this Tee on his facebook shop. Even does custom shirts if you want your Yaris and someone else's also on the back.. check it out.
http://www.facebook.com/IsizaTees
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #164
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Today, 10:43 AM
uh..Jesus.... aren't you at work?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #165
ilikerice

LMAO.. check my time stamp now.. I actually woke up 30 mins ago and about to head to work. After I posted that I did look at the clock and scream "DAMMIT, stayed up too late again"
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #166
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Well since my shocks have been back at Bilstein getting revalved I've been stuck running around stock for the past month or so but went to a race this weekend with some parts I've been given and just wanted to share my experiences going back to "stock".

A few weeks back I was given a set of Megan stock replacement shocks to test out and was really surprised by how well they performed it was a quite the shock...
Well I took the rear Megan's off and replaced them with some rear Tokico HTS's I have sitting at my house just so I can get a bit more rebound damping.

Well after my runs the I can say a few things about the car stock compared to my race setup, with my stock setup the car doesn't like to turn in and has no traction on corner exit it was quite frustrating. With that being said the car performed about as well as I could hope but going over my data it was quite clear I had lost a ton of lateral traction even for the tires I was running.

I can't wait to go back to STF trim.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #167
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
ilikerice: cool !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
uh..Jesus.... aren't you at work?
Break time! I'm allowed....legally. :)
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #168
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Well finally got the shocks back from Bilstein...WOW is all I can say the difference is night and day but that might partially be from the massive difference from before to now. In either case the car is so sharp on turn in that I'm almost unsure if its going to understeer or not.

But stupid me forgot to ask the shock dyno graph so didn't get that.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #169
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Well got a hold of the shockdyno sheet if anyone wants.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #170
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Well finally got the shocks back from Bilstein...WOW is all I can say the difference is night and day but that might partially be from the massive difference from before to now. In either case the car is so sharp on turn in that I'm almost unsure if its going to understeer or not.

But stupid me forgot to ask the shock dyno graph so didn't get that.
Did you have droop limiters installed so you don't have to use zip ties to hold in your rear springs anymore?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #171
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I didn't...that would have been a good idea guess there's always next time. It doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with the 400lb springs as it was with the 350lb springs for whatever reason, but there's still about a .5" of droop travel I could stand to lose, but its okay for now.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #172
ilikerice

Ok, So my latest autocross event didn't go so well.. I got killed by my rival honda fit by a honda fit.. I wonder if my tires had anything to do with my performance... these are RS-3's by the way if you cant tell

So my question would be is there a certain point in these tires where the best compound for grip is no longer available? I ask because It was very hard for me to tell because my tires have worn over time while i am doing the driving of course. I would like to blame my performance on my tires but if I was just having a bad day then I will take that also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-26_14-17-26_2.jpg (148.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #173
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Ok, So my latest autocross event didn't go so well.. I got killed by my rival honda fit by a honda fit.. I wonder if my tires had anything to do with my performance... these are RS-3's by the way if you cant tell

So my question would be is there a certain point in these tires where the best compound for grip is no longer available? I ask because It was very hard for me to tell because my tires have worn over time while i am doing the driving of course. I would like to blame my performance on my tires but if I was just having a bad day then I will take that also
All tires have a point at which they heat cycle out... For some it happens well before the tires wear out, others will stay soft beyond the treads useful life. Also keep in mind now that the weather in most parts of the country is turning colder, you are not on a tire that works well without heat.

I found that we could run the Hankook down to the cords on our STX RX-8, but that was a heavier car that undoubtedly used them up much quicker than your car. Try a new set, if you still get killed you will know it was not the tires. And then you can always switch back to the old set.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #174
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

^What he said :)

Is it just me or is that top rim look bent?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #175
ilikerice

Haha.. yea. Its bent. I gotta retire those rims. I got one more event left of the season. So will have to get new rims and tires for christmas. I will be borrowing a set on my last event. Gonna keep these as my DD rims. They hold air and dont cause any vibrations up front. Cant affords pretty new rims and another set of rims/tires for next year
Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #176
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

No worries the lip doesn't seal the tire so its no big deal. I just got a set of rims and tires even though its not exactly what I want I'm sure it'll work for me right now. Sometimes you gotta run what you can vs the best thing you can.

How much did the fit beat you by?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #177
ilikerice

ugh.. I am too embarrassed to even post this..
http://buccaneerregion.org/ce9-jax8-12.html

Yea, its just the lip, BUT a couple national guys said that if I go to a national even they wont let me run because there could possible be a crack in the rim. Which I understand. I just ordered some Azenis 615k tires for the red rims.. these will be my daily drivers for a while. hopefully will get enough funds to get new rims and tires by christmas
Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #178
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

It seems your region has amassed quite the army of Yarii :)

That's a pretty bad beat lets see if it continues with new tires though.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #179
ilikerice

yeppers.. next event I will be running the 205/50 azenis 615k. its the last event of the season so I dont expect to be much competition.

funny side note: someone from Jacksonville tried to argue that I was suppose to be in Street Prepared because of my "slicks"
Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #180
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
yeppers.. next event I will be running the 205/50 azenis 615k. its the last event of the season so I dont expect to be much competition.

funny side note: someone from Jacksonville tried to argue that I was suppose to be in Street Prepared because of my "slicks"
LOL should have told him to walk over to the protest booth.

We have a CS street tire class miata in my region running the 615k and he's been amazingly fast with them...keep them cold though they don't take heat well.