Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2024, 08:52 AM   #1
YarisLurker

Drives: Yaris
manual transmission axle seal replacement

Want to save those who decide to do this job some frustration. I recently decided to replace my axles on both sides trying to chase down a pop sound that had started happening. Its a long story but here's what is relevant to this post. When you replace the axle seal you do NOT drive it in as far as it goes (like every other seal you have replaced) because there is a max depth that the seal is supposed to go in, approx 10mm max.
I share this tidbit because the only way I found this out was from randomly watching YouTube videos and finding some posts that talked about what I had experienced, I had replaced the seals on the drivers side twice and it was still leaking. I went to the dealer and bought the $25 OEM seal thinking the aftermarket seals might be the problem. So on the third time I used a dial caliper to measure the depth as I drove the seal in and used the 10mm max as the limit and voila the seal is actually sealing!

Last edited by YarisLurker; 03-31-2024 at 09:09 AM.
YarisLurker is offline   Reply With Quote