Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
heistp

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3hb
2006 Yaris clicking/clunking when turning

I have a 2006 Yaris 1.2L (in the Czech Republic) with 28000 km and am starting to have a problem with a clicking or clunking when I turn. There are actually two sounds that happen under different conditions, which I'm not sure if they're related:

1) When I apply the brakes, start turning then release the brakes (common when I'm entering a traffic circle), I'll hear a click or clunk one or more times that sounds like metal under stress. The sharper the turn, the more likely it will click. Full lock turns might get three clicks. It happens more to the right, but also happens when turning left.

2) When backing and turning out of the parking lot in the morning and going over the small ledge in my apartment's parking lot to the street (it's a common lot with cars perpendicular to the road), there is a loud CLUNK as the wheel goes over the ledge. It happens when turning either direction.

I'll have the car checked out at the dealership this week, but the service technician who answered my call initially said he thought it was the ABS. I really don't think that sounds like ABS as it doesn't need slippery conditions at all. I'd like to go in there prepared with information so I could suggest if they checked certain things or know if they say something whether they're blowing smoke or not. It's hard enough with the Czech language barrier!

Anyone have any thoughts on what this might be and/or if these two things could be related?
heistp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Clicks on turning typically come from CV joints. You can check the boots for the Cv's yourself. Jus find the axle shaft near each wheel and follow it to the transmission. There are black rubber boots at each end and if they are torn and leaking grease that is the source of your clicking. But that is unlikely with a newer car.
But you describe sounds which do not appear to be Cv joints and frankly could be anything. If it were my car I would get the front of the car up on jackstands. Start by shaking the front wheels to check for loose tie rods and ball joints. Then I would get under the car to check for loose connections at all the attachments points. I suspect the sounds you describe are likely to come from hitting something. In any case bringing the car to a dealer (in the US and Im sure former Communist countries are even worse) is an open invitation to grand larceney.
Good luck and tell us what happens!
I read your post again and now lso think you should look at the brakes and take the wheels off when you have the car on jackstands.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
click, clunk, strut, suspension