Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Warning - Broken control arm bolt!

Hey Guys...

This morning while I was pulling out of my drive way, I felt and heard a thump come from the front of the car.. Thought, OH THAT IS WEIRD!

While I started to drive down the road, every bump or when I braked, again the thump.. I said to my self, hmm this can not be good.. So I went in the afternoon to the dealership to have it checked out the following was found..

On the passenger side, on the lower control arm, one of the two bolts secures the control to the sub frame, the bolt head corroded and broke off (see attached photo)..

Well here comes the good part.. The S.A stated that there is a service bulletin for this issue of these bolts corroding and breaking off, and they are going to replace the following.. Control arms on both sides of the car, all bolts, and the cradle as there is a new design of control arm and cradle.

I would strongly suggest that you check out the bolts on your car to see if they are corroding as I would not want to see someone be driving on the highway at a good speed and the bolt head breaks off and possible separation of the control from the sub frame then lose control of the car…

Form the photo, you can also see that this bolt was cracked for awhile as the bolt shaft was all rusted where the bolt head broke off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6654.JPG (36.3 KB, 5696 views)
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Thanks for the info!

It would be great if you could provide the TSB itself so that we can add it to the compilation:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9753
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Thanks I will check mine for premature wear this weekend
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Wow, this sure looks like a potential recall item to me.
It's broken after just 2 years service!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post
Thanks I will check mine for premature wear this weekend
extremely doubtful in puerto rico. This is caused by road salt, and I have a feeling a lot of canadian cities are using some harsher/cheaper salt as 90% of complaints on YW about corrosion are from canada
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Is this just for the sedan or also hatch? I checked my bolts and they seem OK.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
CB900F2

Hey guys.. Sorry for a late responce, but all is well.. the following parts where changed out

- Both lower control arms on each side
- 2 new bolts (not sure which ones)
- Crossmember
- And they use some 3M sealer what looks like areas where water might get into the frame and bolt area to seal it up

The TSB# they reference is TSB 3271. I asked the dealer to get a copy or look at it and no luck.. So if anyone has access to TSBs, and and if you can find this one, I am very interested in seening what is says.

thanks guys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Thanks for the info!

It would be great if you could provide the TSB itself so that we can add it to the compilation:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9753
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Wow, I'd like to check it out too...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
NH3R717

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch, White
I noticed corrosion on the steel parts underneath my car sub frame, maybe i should take some pics and make a post.
NH3R717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Kangaru

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan C-PACK

I had this issue happen on my 2007 model Yaris Sedan assembled by Central Auto Woks. I am out of warranty, and the fix is around $16 for parts(2 bolts) and around 3.5-5 hours labour.

I had noticed that the driver side had the clunk mentioned in the first post, I took it in and yes it was broken. The dealership said the passenger side was so corroded it could break too, so they replaced both. My local dealership denied that my car was part of the TSB3271 because of how the VIN numbers went. I did a simple VIN check and noticed that the production change was some time in 2009, and mine being a 2007 has the older control arm and bolts.

I would urge anyone with a 2006-2009 model Yaris hatch or sedan to go get that inspected within the warranty period. If you live in an Northern US area or Canada(like myself) the road salt corrodes the bolts and causes them to break. If the bolt breaks, its a $400-500 job to replace, and a new control arm runs around $500 per side. I was provided the TSB in a PDF format from a technician who works at a Toyota dealership outside my area. Toyota has been less than helpful about this problem, and they say...sorry its out of warranty.

I still have a claim with Toyota Customer Care, because I was lied to about the TSB applying to my vehicle. I was also told that because I didn't get my vehicle serviced by an authorized Toyota dealership, that they cannot help me. This is a full out load of BS.
It doesn't help that the people on the phone know very little about cars, and rely on what the dealership says only.

I would normally not care if something broke on my car outside warranty, and would pay for it. This is not normal, its not something that gets inspected or serviced. Its a faulty part that could lead to injury or death.

If you are in warranty or perhaps the extended warranty, most dealers will replace everything. Toyota knows about the problem, and so did the technician I know. If you are outside...(15,000kms) and a year like me...looks like Toyota says your screwed.

I would like to post the TSB, anyone know the best way to post a .PDF?
Kangaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
p123456789

Drives: 07 lb jeep tj
I wonder if this is something to worry about maybe we could upgrade the bolts in ours before they break. how could toyota over look such a potentially huge problem.
p123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
I could have sworn I got a recall notice from Toyota about this months ago.

Edit: I now see this thread started last year. That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p123456789 View Post
how could toyota over look such a potentially huge problem.
Yeah, next thing you know there will be problems like a Prius not stopping or something.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #13
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We tried to present this to a TOYOTA service center for our 2008 sedan that had about 24,000 miles on it at that time and the service manager says " No , we will not look at it . You can't believe everything off the internet " . This is the same dealership that replaced the M.L.S. head cylinder gasket due to an exteranl oil leak from the #1 cylinder . We've tried to get several other TOYO service centers to inspect the control arms and they say no T.S.B. , so no need to and if we do look at it , it's at your expense . . We know how you feel about TOYOTA stepping up to the plate with issues such as yours and ours with owning a 2008 YARIS sedan that had an external oil leak and a 2010 that still does .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #14
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
We tried to present this to a TOYOTA service center for our 2008 sedan that had about 24,000 miles on it at that time and the service manager says " No , we will not look at it . You can't believe everything off the internet " . This is the same dealership that replaced the M.L.S. head cylinder gasket due to an exteranl oil leak from the #1 cylinder . We've tried to get several other TOYO service centers to inspect the control arms and they say no T.S.B. , so no need to and if we do look at it , it's at your expense . . We know how you feel about TOYOTA stepping up to the plate with issues such as yours and ours with owning a 2008 YARIS sedan that had an external oil leak and a 2010 that still does .
I wonder why they turned YOU down....../sarcasm \roll eyes
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
CB900F2

Kangaru... Regarding the posting of the TSB you have, just post it as an attachment in the section "Manage Attachments" and upload it...

I am very interested in the TSB

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaru View Post

I had this issue happen on my 2007 model Yaris Sedan assembled by Central Auto Woks. I am out of warranty, and the fix is around $16 for parts(2 bolts) and around 3.5-5 hours labour.

I had noticed that the driver side had the clunk mentioned in the first post, I took it in and yes it was broken. The dealership said the passenger side was so corroded it could break too, so they replaced both. My local dealership denied that my car was part of the TSB3271 because of how the VIN numbers went. I did a simple VIN check and noticed that the production change was some time in 2009, and mine being a 2007 has the older control arm and bolts.

I would urge anyone with a 2006-2009 model Yaris hatch or sedan to go get that inspected within the warranty period. If you live in an Northern US area or Canada(like myself) the road salt corrodes the bolts and causes them to break. If the bolt breaks, its a $400-500 job to replace, and a new control arm runs around $500 per side. I was provided the TSB in a PDF format from a technician who works at a Toyota dealership outside my area. Toyota has been less than helpful about this problem, and they say...sorry its out of warranty.

I still have a claim with Toyota Customer Care, because I was lied to about the TSB applying to my vehicle. I was also told that because I didn't get my vehicle serviced by an authorized Toyota dealership, that they cannot help me. This is a full out load of BS.
It doesn't help that the people on the phone know very little about cars, and rely on what the dealership says only.

I would normally not care if something broke on my car outside warranty, and would pay for it. This is not normal, its not something that gets inspected or serviced. Its a faulty part that could lead to injury or death.

If you are in warranty or perhaps the extended warranty, most dealers will replace everything. Toyota knows about the problem, and so did the technician I know. If you are outside...(15,000kms) and a year like me...looks like Toyota says your screwed.

I would like to post the TSB, anyone know the best way to post a .PDF?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
Hershey

" I wonder why they turned YOU down......"

We were polite at that time . What you expect ? Bring a cake ?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
Kangaru

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan C-PACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Living in Orlando, I would be highly doubtful that this bolt would corrode and break. The TSB I have is a Toyota Canada TSB. The thing is, many areas of the north-eastern US, throw as much salt on the roads as parts of Canada does. I only live 60 miles from Buffalo, NY and can say that the weather is just as bad or worse there. I think Toyota needs to address this issue as 4-5 year old Yari' will be needing this service if you live near the ocean or the rust belt. Toyota Canada told me the whole don't believe everything you read either. I rebutted with what about the TSB or the Technician that told me about it...they returned with well, you are out of warranty.

Anyways here is the TSB3271...half of it is "en francais"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB3271.pdf (641.5 KB, 902 views)
Kangaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaru View Post
Living in Orlando, I would be highly doubtful that this bolt would corrode and break. The TSB I have is a Toyota Canada TSB. The thing is, many areas of the north-eastern US, throw as much salt on the roads as parts of Canada does. I only live 60 miles from Buffalo, NY and can say that the weather is just as bad or worse there. I think Toyota needs to address this issue as 4-5 year old Yari' will be needing this service if you live near the ocean or the rust belt. Toyota Canada told me the whole don't believe everything you read either. I rebutted with what about the TSB or the Technician that told me about it...they returned with well, you are out of warranty.

Anyways here is the TSB3271...half of it is "en francais"
We're from the northeast not Florida. They use road salt almost everyday here during the winter so we're concerned as well.

Last edited by Hershey; 04-08-2011 at 11:42 PM.