Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 AM   #1
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Hesitating AC

Hi folks,
I have 2007 Yaris 1.3 64kW with 87000 miles.
Over the past 2-3 years I am having a problem with the AC during summer. When the car sits the whole day on the hot parking lot it then takes sometimes more than 5 minutes to get the cold wind blowing.
It was not the case in the past. Of course I do not expect the cool air to start blowing immediately but I think it was like 1 minute at most before it recognizably started to cool.
I am of course doing all the things that are recommended (and I always did them before):
- open the windows for a while before starting up the AC
- use inner air circulation
- driving at higher revs
- changing the cabin filter twice a year

The belt also seem to be well tensioned.

Every spring I drop by to the local authorized Toyota car service for inspection. They suck out all the AC coolant, do the vacuum test, regenerate the coolant, put it back and top it up (it is usually about 20g so the system seems to be in a good shape). But when I told them about my problem they said that "it is normal during summer" and they did not believe me that it was A LOT better few years ago.

I am a bit worried that the only thing that may be the culprit here is the AC compressor which costs a fortune but maybe you guys have some experience with this issue... or is it really normal and I was just dreaming for the past few years?

Thanks in advance.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
Probably AC control valve.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...valve&_sacat=0
It is a bypass valve when the compressor isnt working, but when it gets old some of the coolant still bypasses because its leaking.

Your dealer will tell you that it cant be changed, because they want to sell a new compressor.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Thank you for the tip, stykerdk! Any chance of replacing it with my own hands? I suppose this cannot be done without sucking the ac coolant out at first place... I have done lots of basic fixes (strut replacement etc) but never ever anything with the AC...
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote