Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
sjo102784

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE
2012 Yaris LE Poor Mileage

Hi everyone, I've been looking through the forum for an answer but couldn't find anything that could directly help with my issue.

I have a stock 2012 Yaris LE and seem to be getting low MPG compared to other Yarii on this website. I regularly get around 30-32 mpg. It is an A/T, serviced at all required intervals, and I monitor tire pressure (according to the door panel indications) and all fluids in the car.

I realize that how I drive impacts MPGs, and I drive fairly slow (not accelerating quickly, not driving above about 65mph on the highway/interstate), I drive like an elderly person, and my driving is about half highway/interstate and half city driving. The car was stickered at 30/city and 36/hwy. Are these numbers accurate to other Yaris drivers with 2012 or newer? My current tank is getting 32mpg.

I was also considering some basic upgrades to possibly help with MPG. Any advice as far as air filters or air intakes? I noticed another thread with a DIY K&N filter upgrade and a cold air intake. Is one better than the other? I realize the cost of an air filter is lower than a cold air intake, but would a cold air intake result in higher mpg? Also - are there any spark plug upgrades I could do to improve MPG?

If you guys have any other advice I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to exploit the Yaris as best I can to get better MPG!
sjo102784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
That seems like awfully low mpgs. I have the 2012 L 5MT and I also drive like an old lady for the most part, and my last tank was 47.0mpg. I know that MT typically gets a bit better mpg than AT, but I don't know what would be causing the difference. There are many folks on here that may provide suggestions on things you can do/check. Good luck.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

Drives: 07 LB-Red-Manual-Power package
My 2012 LE rental car averaged 31.7 on a two hour primarily expressway driving trip at 70mph with the air conditioning on. Don't know if this will help.
kuessemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjo102784 View Post
Hi everyone, I've been looking through the forum for an answer but couldn't find anything that could directly help with my issue.

I have a stock 2012 Yaris LE and seem to be getting low MPG compared to other Yarii on this website. I regularly get around 30-32 mpg. It is an A/T, serviced at all required intervals, and I monitor tire pressure (according to the door panel indications) and all fluids in the car.
You're right in line with me, but I spend half the time stuck in city traffic.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
I'm pretty disappointed in my 09 3door Yaris' MPG as well. I've done just about everything you can do and it hasn't changed a thing. I've cleaned the MAF, cleaned the TB, i've replaced the perfectly good spark plugs that were in it, I changed out the air filter, changed the belt and made sure all the pulleys were turning freely. I've checked the brakes, checked that all wheels were turning freely. All of that work and cost, and I still get 27-30 MPG in my A/T with 70% highway driving.

For reference, with the same driving, and same fuel, my old 07 3door M/T got 38MPG on a bad day, and consistently over that. Pisses me off, that's a huge reduction.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
I have a stock 2012 L hatch with AT, and I get much better mileage than the EPA estimates. Now, I roll with my tire inflation at about 37 or 38 PSI instead of what the door sticker suggests.

Fortunately, I also have access to E-0 gasoline, with which I fuel up as often as possible. However, regular E-10 still gives me impressive MPGs. Sometimes I wonder if the E-0 is worth the expense.

Anyway, the only other thing I could suggest is to verify that you have your transmission shifter pushed over to the right in D versus to the left in 3. I have seen that happen before, so you never know.

You can click on my Fuelly banner and view my MPGs for comparison purposes. I really do hope you can discover the reason why your fuel mileage is lower that it really should be. Good luck.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
I have a 2012 LE automatic, and always get 38 to 40 mpg, Slow stops and starts, drive the speed limit, and 37 psi in the tires. Yes I drive like and old man cause I am one lol.
Its not your car its your driving.
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
BigMike
I've made a post!

Drives: 2013 Red Yaris SE
Hello Yaris World!!

I've been a new 2013 Yaris SE owner since this past April and never knew this forum existed until just today! First post, here goes:

sjo102784,

My brand new 2013 Yaris SE came with a sticker rated for 30 MPG city and 36 MPG highway. I have logged just over 7,000 miles since I drove the car off the lot 5 months ago including numerous road trips. If I drive the car like a grandpa and try to hypermile, as ron3 suggests, I get 34 MPG. So far that is the top I've seen from an entire tank (I think it was 34.2 MPG). Otherwise cruising at 65 MPH on the open road will net me between 31-32 MPG which is very similar to your LE.

I'd like to share important information that I believe is throwing everyone off. Unless you are actually logging the mileage and calculating your MPG firsthand, then I believe we are all receiving inaccurate results. Let me explain.

The LCD screen on my dash also shows an estimated number of miles remaining per tank. When the low light fuel indicator comes on, it claims I only have about 20 miles remaining. I was pretty freaked out when this first happened because I was 40 miles in between cities. I drove a good 20+ miles beyond the point where the LCD said I have "0" miles remaining and when I got gas it took somewhere around 9.5 gallons to top off. I haven't driven the car dry yet, but I assume when the estimated readout reads "0" miles remaining there is in fact somewhere under 2 gallons remaining in the tank.

Therefore, I believe the MPG readout on this LCD screen is not taking into account the additional 1.5 or 2 gallons that remain in the tank when the estimated distance remaining reading goes to zero. Two gallons at 36 MPG is 72 miles. That is a huge difference.

So what I plan to do on my next road trip is calculate the mileage for myself the old fashioned way and then compare that value to the LCD readout.

32 MPG * 11 gallons = 352 miles
compare to
36 MPG * 9.5 gallons = 342 miles

The numbers are close, but again I don't know for sure how many gallons are remaining when the estimated miles remaining reading goes to "zero", so 9.5 gallons is just a hunch.

One thing I don't like about this theory is that if I am correct, why in the WORLD would Toyota do such a thing when the consumer for such a small, economical car is there specifically for economy. Anyone can test drive a Yaris off the lot and get up to cruising speed and note the MPG reading ... compare this across the Fit or Chevy Sonic, etc, and Toyota would loose sales if their number is actually lower than what it is really getting. The one test driving would never think twice and simply move on to another car that "made better fuel mileage".

At any rate, I'll definitely update this once I run a full tank on the open road and calculate the mileage properly!

Regards,
BigMike

Last edited by BigMike; 09-30-2013 at 05:25 PM.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
I wonder sometimes about the auto transmission in the yaris. most complaints ive seen about mileage come from auto owners. I have a '14 5 speed yaris and after two tanks am getting just over 44 mpg's per tank (actual calculation)....just driving reasonably, mostly light suburban and 65 mph highway driving.

looking at fuelly and fueleconomy.gov, it appears to me that the yaris is actually beating epa estimates more regularly than other cars in this class.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Hello Yaris World!!

I've been a new 2013 Yaris SE owner since this past April and never knew this forum existed until just today! First post, here goes:

sjo102784,

My brand new 2013 Yaris SE came with a sticker rated for 30 MPG city and 36 MPG highway. I have logged just over 7,000 miles since I drove the car off the lot 5 months ago including numerous road trips. If I drive the car like a grandpa and try to hypermile, as ron3 suggests, I get 34 MPG. So far that is the top I've seen from an entire tank (I think it was 34.2 MPG). Otherwise cruising at 65 MPH on the open road will net me between 31-32 MPG which is very similar to your LE.

I'd like to share important information that I believe is throwing everyone off. Unless you are actually logging the mileage and calculating your MPG firsthand, then I believe we are all receiving inaccurate results. Let me explain.

The LCD screen on my dash also shows an estimated number of miles remaining per tank. When the low light fuel indicator comes on, it claims I only have about 20 miles remaining. I was pretty freaked out when this first happened because I was 40 miles in between cities. I drove a good 20+ miles beyond the point where the LCD said I have "0" miles remaining and when I got gas it took somewhere around 9.5 gallons to top off. I haven't driven the car dry yet, but I assume when the estimated readout reads "0" miles remaining there is in fact somewhere under 2 gallons remaining in the tank.

Therefore, I believe the MPG readout on this LCD screen is not taking into account the additional 1.5 or 2 gallons that remain in the tank when the estimated distance remaining reading goes to zero. Two gallons at 36 MPG is 72 miles. That is a huge difference.

So what I plan to do on my next road trip is calculate the mileage for myself the old fashioned way and then compare that value to the LCD readout.

32 MPG * 11 gallons = 352 miles
compare to
36 MPG * 9.5 gallons = 342 miles

The numbers are close, but again I don't know for sure how many gallons are remaining when the estimated miles remaining reading goes to "zero", so 9.5 gallons is just a hunch.

One thing I don't like about this theory is that if I am correct, why in the WORLD would Toyota do such a thing when the consumer for such a small, economical car is there specifically for economy. Anyone can test drive a Yaris off the lot and get up to cruising speed and note the MPG reading ... compare this across the Fit or Chevy Sonic, etc, and Toyota would loose sales if their number is actually lower than what it is really getting. The one test driving would never think twice and simply move on to another car that "made better fuel mileage".

At any rate, I'll definitely update this once I run a full tank on the open road and calculate the mileage properly!

Regards,
BigMike
The issue you are having = one reason why I have (with every car i've ever owned......and yes I know it violates the warning on the pump) ended each fill up when I can can see gas in the bottom of the neck of the gas tank. I also 'break the seal' either for the whole tank or after the click, so that I don't lose any gas. This way I am always coming back to the same reference point when calculating MPG after each fill up.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
Chifte

Drives: 2012 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
That seems like awfully low mpgs. I have the 2012 L 5MT and I also drive like an old lady for the most part, and my last tank was 47.0mpg. I know that MT typically gets a bit better mpg than AT, but I don't know what would be causing the difference. There are many folks on here that may provide suggestions on things you can do/check. Good luck.
Sheesh! Are you downhill both ways?

When I first purchased my Yaris I went on a MPG binge, researched every possible way to save fuel. With all my efforts and driving in the most boring slow manner possible I achieved 44MPG for several tanks. I couldn't take it anymore, now I pretend I drive a quad rotor FWD Yaris.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
gojon17

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2011
mine is an auto sedan 2011, got 43 mpg, sooo at and mt should only make a bit of difference not a lot
gojon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
ardvark2175
ardvark

Ok first. The manual does get better mpg than the automatic. I bought the automatic because they only offer the manual in the sport model. I didn't get very good gas mileage in the automatic I own for 5000 miles as the engine broke in. At 1000 miles I went to full synthetic oil, as I was sure the engine was fully broke in. With full synthetic in the engine and transmission I now regularly get 40mpg driving 60 and 65. Manual owners will do better that this. Also my 180 mile round trip is mostly flat with some city and some highway miles. I make this trip about 3 times a month. I hope this helps.
ardvark2175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark2175 View Post
I bought the automatic because they only offer the manual in the sport model. .
I assume you mean in a four door model, since the 3 door L is offered in a manual.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
ardvark2175
ardvark

4 door model.

Yes that is correct. I was only looking at 4 door models. Thank you for catching that. Also went to full synthetic at 10000 miles not 1000 miles
ardvark2175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
I wonder sometimes about the auto transmission in the yaris. most complaints ive seen about mileage come from auto owners. I have a '14 5 speed yaris and after two tanks am getting just over 44 mpg's per tank (actual calculation)....just driving reasonably, mostly light suburban and 65 mph highway driving.

looking at fuelly and fueleconomy.gov, it appears to me that the yaris is actually beating epa estimates more regularly than other cars in this class.
I wonder about it too. But then I think about the repair cost on a 5 or 6 speed auto vs the theoretical savings of 1 or 2 more highway mpg more over the lifetime of the car. Then I'm happy with my car again.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #17
cmdjd

Drives: 2012 5 door
I was very disappointed until I reached a little over 20K miles. Then the MPG rose gradually to 38-41 depending upon season and city/highway mix.
cmdjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
WRX

Drives: 2012 YarisLE 2014Lexusct200hF
Idk if quality of the gas you get counts for anything I always used to think that Costco gas didn't last as long for some reason but then again was probably my lead foot acting up cause of the lower price I paid.
WRX is offline   Reply With Quote