Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
TS Dyno figures , with or without mods

hey guys

anybody have their TS on a dyno to check the power , with or without mods ?

i wanna dyno test mine, all i have is a axel back exhaust and a drop in pan k&N filter , want to know how much more i might have.

stock is 98kw and 173nm , im hoping for 100kw and 180nm.
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Engines don't typically respond well to bolt ons with out a tune. Are you planning on tuning it? That power you posted is at the crank. A typical dyno rates at the wheels. I don't think you will see 98 kw at the wheels with a tune.
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
133bhp = ~ 116whp

add filter and fart can you MIGHT be up to 120whp

usually take off 13% for drivetrain loss on a manual (25% for auto)
Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

correct , most dyno's read on the wheel power yeah , although when we get give readings here , it is at the crank power. yeah i's be happy with anything above 120 whp or that.

quick question , why would my car seem to run better in hotter weather than cold weather ? when its a really cold evening the car seems to pull , but it just seems to pull better during hotter conditions ...
Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by aucorium View Post
correct , most dyno's read on the wheel power yeah , although when we get give readings here , it is at the crank power. yeah i's be happy with anything above 120 whp or that.

quick question , why would my car seem to run better in hotter weather than cold weather ? when its a really cold evening the car seems to pull , but it just seems to pull better during hotter conditions ...
Colder air is more dense then hot air. Denser air burners faster/hotter/more explosive. So technically the engine would produce more power when the air is cold/dense.

It may feel like the car pulls harder when its hot out because the tires are warmer and more sticky. I can't think why the car would pull harder when its hot out. Maybe your window is down and it sounds louder making it seem faster lol?
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJacks716 View Post
Colder air is more dense then hot air. Denser air burners faster/hotter/more explosive. So technically the engine would produce more power when the air is cold/dense.

It may feel like the car pulls harder when its hot out because the tires are warmer and more sticky. I can't think why the car would pull harder when its hot out. Maybe your window is down and it sounds louder making it seem faster lol?
hey buddy , yeah , makes sense , maybe the hotter air being it gives a more explosive feel the thump feels harder , and the cooler air gives a smoother power delivery , thanks for the insite ... hehe , better keep the window down then , haha !!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

found this info in wikipedia

"Warmer air is less dense, and thus contains less oxygen to burn fuel in. The car's ECU compensates by opening the throttle wider to admit more air. This, in turn, decreases the resistance the engine must overcome to suck air in."

that could be why i seem to feel as if the car is not as punchy, with the warmer air the throttle opens wider , giving it the more punchy feel ... makes sense to me ... so its not making more power as such , just feels more as the throttle opens wider at that given time.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

more from wikipedia

The short ram air intake is a form of aftermarket air intake for automobiles with internal combustion engines.
It basically replaces the OEM air intake with a short metal pipe and a conical air filter inside the engine bay. A significant increase in intake air volume will only occur in an engine where the factory intake piping was restrictive.
There is still some open debate on this issue, but some believe that a problem with short ram air intakes is that the air entering the intake is at a higher temperature due to the proximity of the engine, which may reduce some power. This may be partially offset by an increase in the volume of air entering the engine. To counter intake heat problems, many short ram intakes include some form of heat shield. Moving the intake inlet port further away from the engine block will also help to alleviate the problem and some users use a cold air intake where the inlet air is at or close to ambient temperature. However, others claim that Short Ram Intakes (SRIs) or similar Warm Air Intakes (WAIs) offer benefits over Cold Air Intakes (CAIs) which include better MPG due to a more complete burning of fuel. Users with forced induction engines often opt for short ram intakes because compressors adjacent to the engine, especially turbochargers, heat the incoming air and negate much of the benefits of a cold air intake. Additional problems can result from using a short ram intake in cars utilizing a mass airflow sensor though most of today's sensors automatically adjust without issue. Turbulence in the intake airflow produced by the filter or piping, or a change in intake diameter at the point where the airflow is measured can produce inaccurate airflow readings. The error in airflow then translates to an error in the amount of added fuel. In the worst case, the air/fuel ratio can run lean, causing detonation and possibly engine failure although the airflow sensor will generally detect and correct the throttle to compensate for the warmer air. This can also be solved by modifying/elongating the intake piping, replacing the airflow meter, or by replacing/remapping the engine control computer to provide the correct amount of fuel for the intake airflow at all engine speeds.
A harmless but noticeable result of using a short ram air intake is an increase in intake noise, which may manifest as a sucking sound, and the loss of any silencing properties that the factory intake had.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
the place you'd notice the gains for an intake are mid-upper rpms where the stock airbox can't flow the air as quickly thru the box as an sri or cai

it might *feel* peppier somehow with warm air, but theres really no way it is.....but i don't know what temperatures you're talking about. i know when its 34C which is 40C w/ humidity here the car certainly doesnt feel peppy
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
the place you'd notice the gains for an intake are mid-upper rpms where the stock airbox can't flow the air as quickly thru the box as an sri or cai

it might *feel* peppier somehow with warm air, but theres really no way it is.....but i don't know what temperatures you're talking about. i know when its 34C which is 40C w/ humidity here the car certainly doesnt feel peppy
correct , i recon thatswhat its gonna do , wanna go with the k&n sri.

im talking about 25 degree's celcius , our humidity in cape town is quite low.

i think it has to do with the throttle body opening wider with slightly hotter air thus giving the peppier feel , might be all in the mind , but i can feel a difference.