Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
Rami yaris

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3
Can I change my yaris engine from 1.3L to 1.8L

Hi every one

I Have question Ihave yaris 2007 1.3L ok Iam wondering if I can change my car engine which is 1.3L to 1.8L I saw some yaris has this engine it is the same engine find in toyota corolla.

1-My question the engine will fit in the car directly or I have to change some parts?
2-Do I have to change car computer?
3-What about the gearbox do I have to change it too?

please I want help from those who know about this

thanx
Rami yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've looked into this a little bit, but can't confirm it 100%. The simple answer is, "yes, you can." The real answer is, "It's going to be expensive and take a LOT of time, research, testing and patience to get it right."

1. You will need the engine mounts from the European 1.8L Yaris, or at least the half that connects to the frame. There may be other parts to change for A/C, fuel lines, wire harness, etc.

2. Probably yes, but I don't know if you can use the Corolla ECU instead of the Euro 1.8L.

3. It depends on what gearbox you have. If you have the 6-speed EC-67, you will need to either make different engine mounts, or get a C-56 or C-60 gearbox from a Yaris T-Sport or a Celica.

If you can, spend some time at toyodiy.com looking up part numbers to see exactly which vehicles you can get the parts from. If you need diagrams to identify the parts, try utoyot8.com or villagetoyotaparts.com.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
1. You will need the engine mounts from the European 1.8L Yaris,
One or both of these may be the same as the 1.5L but I don't know about the 1.3L, could be the same as that also.

When I was researching a 1.8L built motor, I recall that the install was going to be pretty easy. This is not referring to things like wiring and management however.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
you guys referring to scion xd engine to go to our yaris..if not is this doable??

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Hmm, I can't seem to find the thread where I looked up part numbers. Here's what I can find from toydiy and diagrams on villagescionparts.com.

Shared parts (Yaris 1.8 TS and xD):
12325-37030 BRACKET, ENGINE MOUNTING, LH(FOR TRANSVERSE ENGINE)
12372-37020 INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, LH(FOR TRANSVERSE ENGINE)
12363-37010 ROD, ENGINE MOVING CONTROL
12315-37040 BRACKET, ENGINE MOUNTING, RH(FOR TRANSVERSE ENGINE)
12305-37040 INSULATOR SUB-ASSY, ENGINE MOUNTING, RH
12313-37010 BRACKET, ENGINE MOUNTING CONTROL(FOR TRANSVERSE ENGINE)
12511-37010 BRACKET, ALTERNATOR, NO.1

Scion xD only:
12325-37060 BRACKET, ENGINE MOUNTING, LH(FOR TRANSVERSE ENGINE)
12372-37021 INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, LH(FOR TRANSVERSE ENGINE)
12363-21080 ROD, ENGINE MOVING CONTROL
12305-37091 INSULATOR SUB-ASSY, ENGINE MOUNTING, RH
12305-37190 INSULATOR SUB-ASSY, ENGINE MOUNTING, RH

Wow, looks like there's much more in common than I thought. Crap, now that I think about it, it was the 6-speed EC67 gearbox that had different engine-side mounts, but shared the body-side mounts with the C50. I guess that just leaves all of the wiring and connections to sort out, eh?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Rami yaris

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3
Hi evry one thanx alot every one for participating really your info was useful and it will help me alots.

special thanx for you CrankyOldMan because you spend time in getting the parts info from villagescionparts.com

Return to our subject

About the engine
After making some research I found that the engine in the European Yaris RS is 1.8-liter
(2ZR-FE) dual VVT-i

and the engine in the Toyota Corolla 2008 1.8-liter (2ZR-FAE) dual VVT-i

So I thinkthey are similar little bit just I didn't understand what is the difference between the corolla (2ZR-FAE) and yaris (2ZR-FE) both of them are Toyota ZR engine,, they are from the same ZR engine family.

I found this from wikipedia under (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZR_engine).

this is the only difference I found about the engine

about the gearbox
My yaris has 4 speed automatic gearbox I think it is the U340E usually they use this kind of transmission in Yaris since 2006

about the manual gearbox the Yaris 1.3L has the C551A 5-Speed Manual Transmission and some has C54A 5-Speed Manual Transmission but the first one is more popular.
For more info about Toyota transmissions this is the List of Toyota transmissions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._transmissions

About the Engine Control Unit -ECU
If I use the Corolla (2ZR-FAE) engine of course I will use Corolla ECU usually it comes with engine or you can ask supplier for it

In the end If I want to use the Corolla (2ZR-FAE) engine for my Yaris I have to use Corolla gearbox and Corolla ECU this is what I end up with why I want to use Corolla (2ZR-FAE) engine because in my region we don't have Yaris with 1.8L only we have 1.3 and 1.5, and I found the similar engine for the yaris 1.8 is Corolla (2ZR-FAE) engine it is the same just little different it will not make that big problem.

The only big problem am worried about and am sure about it, is the axles I think it will make me big headache, if someome can help me tell me

Last edited by Rami yaris; 06-11-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Rami yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rami yaris View Post
Hi evry one thanx alot every one for participating really your info was useful and it will help me alots.

special thanx for you CrankyOldMan because you spend time in getting the parts info from villagescionparts.com

Return to our subject

After making some research I found that the engine in the European Yaris RS is 1.8-liter
(2ZR-FE) dual VVT-i

and the engine in the Toyota Corolla 2008 1.8-liter (2ZR-FAE) dual VVT-i

So I thinkthey are similar little bit just I didn't understand what is the difference between the corolla (2ZR-FAE) and yaris (2ZR-FE) both of them are Toyota ZR engine,, they are from the same ZR engine family.

I found this from wikipedia under (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZR_engine).

this is the only difference I found about the engine
The FAE has some upgrades to produce slightly better fuel economy. 10.5:1 compression versus 10.1:1 for the FE and the FAE has the valvematic system along with the dual VVTI.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
does it uses the same engine mount then the 1nz-fe ?

Can we use the same harness for the ecu and just replace the ecu ?

headers are the same ?
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetrace View Post
does it uses the same engine mount then the 1nz-fe ?

Can we use the same harness for the ecu and just replace the ecu ?

headers are the same ?
Harness will be different for sure with the valvematic.

Headers and intake are definitely different as well.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
As are the injectors, maybe coils? and other peripherals.

The most uncertain thing though is the ECU and how to handle that.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote