Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
My replacement Yaris gets much worse MPG?

I used to drive a 2007 manual transmission yaris 3 door HB and I could get 38MPG with absolutely no amount of conservation in my driving. I could thrash it around like a go-kart and it would give me 38 average.

That car unfortunately was totaled (Lady rear ended me and smashed me into car in front of me) and replaced with a 2009 Auto Transmission 3 door yaris with almost exactly the same amount of miles on it. I BARELY get 31MPG out of the thing, and that's driving as conservative as I possibly can. I mean just barely going in the thing.

As you might expect, I'm very disappointed as this was one of the great things about my old yaris, I could really joke around in it and still get 38 avg MPG. If I was conservative I could get over 40!

Is it all just down to the fact that this one is AT? Are there things I can check that may be lowering my MPG?

Thanks all, with gas prices not going down I really would like to get my MPG back up to where my old Yaris was if possible. (of course)
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
My AT gets about 36mpg doing 60/40 hwy/city. Have you checked your tire pressures? You can also reset the ecu so it'll relearn your driving style.
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I get 38-41 with my 08 AT 3dr LB and 34-37 with my supercharged 09 AT 5dr LB.

I would do all of the basics - clean the throttle body, check and potentially replace the plugs, clean the MAF, and check/replace the air filter.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
+1 to CT's suggestions. My boosted AT has been averaging right around 32mpg in town for the last few fillups. You should be doing a bit better than that.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I get 38-41 with my 08 AT 3dr LB and 34-37 with my supercharged 09 AT 5dr LB.

I would do all of the basics - clean the throttle body, check and potentially replace the plugs, clean the MAF, and check/replace the air filter.
OK, will do all of these things. I found threads for cleaning throttle body and for MAF. These still good DIY's for the process?

Any particular plugs I should replace with? Can I get from AutoZone, Pepboys, or some pace or do I need to go to dealers?

Going to do the fan belt as well.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

PS> Thanks to all. :)

Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Just bought new tires and did a wheel alignment. Hope this improves my MPG too.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Well, OK, I've cleaned my TB and MAF, changed air filter, and ran another tank full of gas through my car last week. I just filled up this morning and clocked 28MPG! What the hell?!? This is with about 20/80 city/Hwy driving. Now I'm getting even worse mileage. I cant for the life of me see why this car gets 10MPG less than my last yaris with the same gas and same person driving (same driving style). Could there be something wrong with the computer? This is so frustrating only because I loved my old yaris precisely because of the great MPG and that's why I have another one. Would love to try some more things if anyone has any ideas, I can't fathom whats going on.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

PS> Changed my plugs this weekend so really have little driving on the new plugs, but the old plugs looked really good so not sure if its going to make a difference.

PPS> If this is something that is covered under warranty, I have 10 months left on my 1 year warranty.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Perhaps run some SeaFoam through it. Could be dirty injectors.
Things to check:
Brakes binding
Wheel bearings binding
Exhaust pipe damaged causing restriction
Catalytic converter clogged
Wheel alignment causing excess drag.
Excessively tight belts.
Air compressor not disengaging
problems with the transmission (shifting late, torque converter not engaging properly, slippage).

Put it up on secure jacks and start the engine in gear to spin the front tires. Note how quickly they slow down when you put it back in neutral.

Turn the rear wheels by hand, note how much drag is on each wheel.

Some tires really suck for FE.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdkt7 View Post
Perhaps run some SeaFoam through it. Could be dirty injectors.
Things to check:
Brakes binding
Wheel bearings binding
Exhaust pipe damaged causing restriction
Catalytic converter clogged
Wheel alignment causing excess drag.
Excessively tight belts.
Air compressor not disengaging
problems with the transmission (shifting late, torque converter not engaging properly, slippage).

Put it up on secure jacks and start the engine in gear to spin the front tires. Note how quickly they slow down when you put it back in neutral.

Turn the rear wheels by hand, note how much drag is on each wheel.

Some tires really suck for FE.
Wow LOL, looks like I'll be getting my hands dirty then, heh. I've done a search on the seafoam stuff here on the boards and found people pour it into the gas tank, or set up some way of sucking it into a vacuum hose some how. Is it beneficial to just pour it into the gas tank or do I need to figure out how to do it the vacuum hose way?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

I have never used Sea Foam, but lots of others on here have. I suspect that just putting it in the gas tank should be enough in your case. It will clean the injectors, but not do much for the valves. I doubt the valves are the problem in your case.

Try the easy thing first!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Seafoam is in! When I do something like this I usually chalk up any kind of change in "feel" to placebo, but in this case there is already a real tangible effect on the "peppyness" of my car. I hope that this "feeling" stays around after this tank of gas, heh.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
47_MasoN_47

You can use the brake booster line (that's what I use on my truck anyway) to suck the seafoam into the valve cover. It does a decent job of cleaning the valves and whatnot when you do that. It'll smoke your neighbors out though so do it at night or in a rural area :P

I'd check the rear drums. See if there's a drag or something going on. I had a little spring brake on my old Ranger once that caused one of the rear drums to drag. Just that bit of resistance was causing me to get even worse mileage than normal.

EDIT: Oh and if you haven't already, take the negative battery terminal loose for 10 minutes, then connect it back. See if resetting the ECU does anything for you.

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

I will probably do the rear brake drums next. The left rear is squeaking very badly when I depress the brake pedal. I figured I will open up both and clean them out, making sure that they are adjusted correctly before buttoning them back up. Reading other threads on here I see that one can get some serious mileage out of a set of factory brake pads and shoes (like well over 100k) and this car has only a little over 40k on it. So I'm thinking they shouldn't need changing.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
47_MasoN_47

One of my drums makes a weird noise all the time. I'm dumping them for a set of Runstop rear disks from Vten.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

The life of the brakes is more dependent on the driver, not the car so much. Many of us are driving to get max gas mileage, and as a result we tend to not use the brakes as much as those who accelerate towards stop signs and such. The same car could have it's brakes used up in as little as one day, or last for the life of the car. Depends on how it is used.

Don't know if anybody mentioned checking to see if there are any codes stored in the ECU. Use a code reader to check if any codes are being thrown. Do that before clearing the ECU by removing the battery terminal.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

No codes according to Torque Pro on my phone. I did throw a CEL when I forgot to hook up one of the coil packs when changing my spark plugs. (I actually really liked how it sounded missing a cylinder LOL) I cleared it out with my phone. I unhooked my (neg) battery when I changed out my plugs, so that was way longer than 10 minutes. I didn't think to check Torque Pro to see if there were any codes before doing that but no CEL ever.

In my old M/T yaris I was pretty aggressive in my driving style and got avg 38 all the time (I didn't shift till about 5-6k RPM and pretty much was WOT a lot heh). In my A/T yaris I'm milking it like a granny and get 28-30. Thats why I'm thinking theres GOT to be something wrong here.

Edit: I wish I could take it to the dealership and say "What gives man?" seeing as how I have a warranty but they will probably say I drive too rough or mileage varies blah blah blah... *shrug*