Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Obesety and Yaris

Hi,

Wondering if anyone have driven the Yaris with severely overweight people in the driver or pax seat? Talking 350lbs. Does it affect the handling performance of the car severely if I have 350lbs in the front pax seat with myself (180lbs) in the driver seat? How badly will fuel economy suffer? Will it "tip sideways"? Just not sure how "small" the Yaris is...

Also, what are common insurance rates for a new Yaris? Comparing to a SUV or older large vehicles, does Yaris get a higher or lower premium?

Thanks.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
i would buy a more powerfull car ;p
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
your ford explorer will more than likely flip or "tip-sideway" before the yaris, and let see mileage -it will be better than most vehicles on the road, even with the chunky boyz riding shotgun. and well insurance much lower than any suv. me and my cuz are big guys , but we are not hitting 300lbs yet :) and the yaris is still good on gas and we defnitely keep up with traffic.

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
For the past several month the wife has been sitting behind me, while the new babe has taken up the other end. On the driver side, there's almost 400lb (with me weighing in at 260lb) vs the little screamer on the other side, who's 15 lb. On the streets, having the car off balanced by 400lb has not effective the stability or the handling. You'd need race track type conditions to squirm out any difference, but on the streets it's too minute to tell.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I ate a burrito grande and the car rolled onto it's side when I got in it... next time I am sticking with regular...
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #6
BokChoi
Mada Mada Dane...

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderkitten View Post
I ate a burrito grande and the car rolled onto it's side when I got in it... next time I am sticking with regular...
Old 08-06-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I weigh 300 and have it lowered with no problems at all.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:02 AM   #8
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I have a buddy who is big and never had a problem.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I AM betting you notice a difference with acceleration. In my Vibe, if I had 2 or 3 friends in the car (one of which weighs in at 350), there was a VERY noticeable decrease in acceleration.

~YR
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
bigdoglover

Drives: 2007 red lb
my insurance has gone down with my new yaris. i had a 2002 chevy trailblazer which i traded for my yaris liftback
bigdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I don't have a Yaris but I drove one of my field trainers to some training. Anyway he was a big guy at least near 250 maybe a little less, but anyway he was big...probably the biggest person I had in my car. The kind that has a huge gut and is breathing heavily. My car did farely well, it kept up with the traffic abit strained! Also handeling wasn't effected at least to the point I notice. I guess the only thing was it was a warm day in the evening so I had the air con on and I had this guy...mileage went south I took it easy as possible and still got respectible mileage as I was driving kind of far but the needle went down faster than usual, I know the needle isn't that accurate but it gives you an idea.
Maybe if I put my super pursuit mode or turbo boost it might have been better
Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #12
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
I tip 230 put in the old lady thats around 350 for us 40.2 with the air Fords suck make the move.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
-m-

Drives: stock for now
Yeah same here...I'm around 280 and with my wife in the car were around 400lbs and the car is fine...its even an auto
-m- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
my yaris insurance went up.. but then again, that's cuz i'm off of my dad's insurance plan and have my own now and i'm not 25 yet.

As for handling, I haven't had any extremely obese people in my car yet. Usually it's just me and my boyfriend. He weighs 180-200 and I weigh about 130 so umm yeah I can't tell yet

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I weigh 285...but I have enough gas, so my sides a little uplifted....
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #16
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
The weight imbalance doesn't seem to effect the Yaris much, which is surprising since it's a very lightweight car. Perhaps the very solid rear suspension plays a big factor.

This is not true for my old Civic, it might be because the car had a high-strung suspension and was quick to transmit any changes in condition. When taking the twisty at high speed in the old Civic, I used to like having my wife riding shotgun since the car felt more balanced.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Hi,
Wondering if anyone have driven the Yaris with severely overweight people in the driver or pax seat? Talking 350lbs. Does it affect the handling performance of the car severely if I have 350lbs in the front pax seat with myself (180lbs) in the driver seat? How badly will fuel economy suffer? Will it "tip sideways"? Just not sure how "small" the Yaris is...

Also, what are common insurance rates for a new Yaris? Comparing to a SUV or older large vehicles, does Yaris get a higher or lower premium?
Thanks.
The good thing about having 350lbs sitting next to you is you will have a free side air bag if needed...
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #18
cactus22minus1
The Chinese Apple

Drives: '07 Yaris LB- Black Sand Pearl
Couldn't say this for handling or FE, but if I notice more difficulty accelerating with the additional weight of my boyfriend(~160lbs) with me(164lbs) in the car. That is somewhat slight, but noticeable. With 2 or three friends(all weigh under 200lbs each), it is very noticeable. Not unacceptable or really even bad, but very noticeable.

So going from 164lbs to a total of anything over 400lbs definitely affects performance in my experience.
cactus22minus1 is offline   Reply With Quote