Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Japanese products

OK, every two seconds I see an ad for Yaris (or any Japanese car) parts being imported from Japan. The thing that's starting to get on my nerves is: what's the big deal about "100% made in Japan"? Do these companies really expect us to believe that there is no industry in Japan that produces inferior equipment? It's as if the very country of Japan has a quality control device eliminating any second-rate manufaturing business.
All I'm saying is, beware of all products for sale in cyberland; Made in Japan does not automatically mean 100% perfect and best quality! Despite the American lack of quality in many arenas.
OK, off the soapbox for now
Old 08-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Japan has instituted quality assurance measures industry wide that are second to none. Made in Japan... the genuine article, generally means a superior product. Period.

Of course, others including the US are fully capable of building products just as good as the Japanese, and sometimes they do, however...

It's interesting that quality control was actually an idea developed by an American but never accepted by American industry for years. But, the Japanese picked up on the idea rather quickly and QA/QC programs were mandated by the government industry wide. This was an easy transition for the Japanese because of the whole idea of Bushido; it was just a matter of incorporating the American developed quality assurance programs into their manufacturing industries... Bushido took care of the rest, and we marvel at the results today.

For the Japanese, the demand for quality products has been institutionalized into everyday Japanese life; they expect it without exception. If you spend anytime in Japan, you will see and feel this attitude toward quality everywhere.

Only when competition got the better of them did America realize the real significance of quality control and slowly began to voluntarily institutionalize quality assurance manufacturing programs; it was a matter of survival. And, as usual, it was an after the fact situation of having to put out fires. This is our American style of management and manufacturing, and part of the American lifestyle in general, and even with the best of intentions, it is very difficult to change our culture. Pity.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Awesome input. That's the kind of post that makes YW rise above the rest
Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I think the OP is making too much ado about nothing.

Don't over complicate this. The term "Made In Japan" simply means that the product was made in a country that is known for, or has a reputation for high quality.

It is that simple, so why you even made an issue of this, or feel the need to be on some sort of mission of God, to save us all is misguided energy, to be sure.

The best stuff often comes from Japan. They have the best reputation. It reall is that simple. ;-)

And the real reason the Japanese make more reliable products then the Americans has nothing to do with lack on QC/QA knowledge on the part of Americans, and everything to do with the damage caused by Unions in this country over the years, the sky high cost of pensions, healthcare, massive costs that each American car sold is burdened by; something that the Japanese cars have little of, or none of. Many American firms simply cannot afford much QA/QC, as they're being choked by the high cost of pensioners, unions, healthcare, and the like.

Blame our American demise on Trade Unions, Democrats having a sense of entitlement, something for nothing, democrats that completely ignore JFK's fameous speech "...ask not what your country can do for you...rather ask, what can you do for your country..".

But to be fair, the Europeans are even worse the the Americans...they show less productivity the us, often showing less quality then us, and they have an even harder time competing against Japanese made products then Americans.

Did you know that most Mercedes models, most Range Rovers, Volvos, costing $80,000+ are LESS reliable then our Yaris? Hell, even less reliable then most American Chevy's!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Who cares where something is made??? I don't understand the infatuation with "JDM" parts, made in Japan parts, etc. I want the best quality parts, for the best value. Sometimes that means Japanese parts, sometimes that means American parts, sometimes that means Japanese products being produced in Mexico with American parts, etc. I'm not brand blind/loyal. If it's the right quality for the right price, it's my preferred product...
Old 08-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I've heard that Toyota manufactors the parts slotted for the assembly line themselves, while the other manufacture will rely on third party sources. Normally, getting the stuff made in-house equates to inferior products (more so in a union shop). It's a wonder that Toyota can still get quality stuff while doing it themselves.

Once the car is built, the OEM stuff is usually garbage compared to the stuff that's put into a newly assemble car. The aftermarket performance stuff are much more expensive, but tend to be quality products.

When my old-man used to work with Magna and the first guy to be able to program the robots to apply clear-coat on wet paint (back in the 80th, no one else was doing it), The Japanese were all over their assemble plant to figure-out how they did it. And they still couldn't duplicate the process. Seems that they still can't get the handle on giving the car a quality paint job. Perhaps relying too heavily on the Japanese mine-set will be a disadvantage. Granted, the Japanese have the right attitude, we all should take pride in our work, but in N.A, there's a diverse talent pool with people who are more intuitive rather then analytical. It's just a matter of time before the world wins out against one country (in the automotive arena).
Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post

Don't over complicate this. The term "Made In Japan" simply means that the product was made in a country that is known for, or has a reputation for high quality.

It is that simple, so why you even made an issue of this, or feel the need to be on some sort of mission of God, to save us all is misguided energy, to be sure.

The best stuff often comes from Japan. They have the best reputation. It reall is that simple. ;-)

And the real reason the Japanese make more reliable products then the Americans has nothing to do with lack on QC/QA knowledge on the part of Americans, and everything to do with the damage caused by Unions in this country over the years, the sky high cost of pensions, healthcare, massive costs that each American car sold is burdened by; something that the Japanese cars have little of, or none of. Many American firms simply cannot afford much QA/QC, as they're being choked by the high cost of pensioners, unions, healthcare, and the like.

Blame our American demise on Trade Unions, Democrats having a sense of entitlement, something for nothing, democrats that completely ignore JFK's fameous speech "...ask not what your country can do for you...rather ask, what can you do for your country..".

But to be fair, the Europeans are even worse the the Americans...they show less productivity the us, often showing less quality then us, and they have an even harder time competing against Japanese made products then Americans.

Did you know that most Mercedes models, most Range Rovers, Volvos, costing $80,000+ are LESS reliable then our Yaris? Hell, even less reliable then most American Chevy's!
WOW something I actually agree with Pavel with... I think those are the first coherent words I have ever seen you type
Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
I've heard that Toyota manufactors the parts slotted for the assembly line themselves, while the other manufacture will rely on third party sources. Normally, getting the stuff made in-house equates to inferior products (more so in a union shop). It's a wonder that Toyota can still get quality stuff while doing it themselves.

Once the car is built, the OEM stuff is usually garbage compared to the stuff that's put into a newly assemble car. The aftermarket performance stuff are much more expensive, but tend to be quality products.

When my old-man used to work with Magna and the first guy to be able to program the robots to apply clear-coat on wet paint (back in the 80th, no one else was doing it), The Japanese were all over their assemble plant to figure-out how they did it. And they still couldn't duplicate the process. Seems that they still can't get the handle on giving the car a quality paint job. Perhaps relying too heavily on the Japanese mine-set will be a disadvantage. Granted, the Japanese have the right attitude, we all should take pride in our work, but in N.A, there's a diverse talent pool with people who are more intuitive rather then analytical. It's just a matter of time before the world wins out against one country (in the automotive arena).
Toyota relys on 3rd parties just as much as everyother manifacture, but they just have a more strict QC policy.... for example
Chevy will except a 1 in 1000 part failier rate
Toyota will only except 1 in 10,000
Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 AM   #9
BokChoi
Mada Mada Dane...

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB
I Love My Yaris!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Perhaps relying too heavily on the Japanese mine-set will be a disadvantage. Granted, the Japanese have the right attitude, we all should take pride in our work, but in N.A, there's a diverse talent pool with people who are more intuitive rather then analytical. It's just a matter of time before the world wins out against one country (in the automotive arena).
Certainly the Japanese are masters at "reinventing the wheel" and then perfecting it. But, contrary to Western thought, this requires not only analytical minds but highly creative ones as well.

Intuition by definition is non-logical and cannot support a manufacturing base (and culture) indefinitely. As America continues to struggle with integrating these principles in industry and into our QA/QC programmes, Japan watches in disbelief... and we all witness the disintegration of American industry (and society)... and we continue to make excuses and blame others with verbose rhetoric.

In the "automotive arena", it's already abundantly clear that Japan is winning the race, and America hasn't got a hope in hell of ever catching up.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
Certainly the Japanese are masters at "reinventing the wheel" and then perfecting it. But, contrary to Western thought, this requires not only analytical minds but highly creative ones as well.

Intuition by definition is non-logical and cannot support a manufacturing base (and culture) indefinitely. As America continues to struggle with integrating these principles in industry and into our QA/QC programmes, Japan watches in disbelief... and we all witness the disintegration of American industry (and society)... and we continue to make excuses and blame others with verbose rhetoric.

In the "automotive arena", it's already abundantly clear that Japan is winning the race, and America hasn't got a hope in hell of ever catching up.
Beautifully put.... and very true.... I truely believe GM and Ford are one day going to be thought of the same way we think of AMC's, Overland's and so on
Old 08-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #12
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
If you ever have the chance, go to Japan.

It can be, but doesn't have to be expensive. It is an amazing society with higher standards than anywhere I have ever been.

Go to Japan and see what it's like. You'll be surprised at the high standards demanded across the board.

Japanese do not accept poor quality and service and that's the only reason the Japanese companies have higher standards. It has nothing to do with Japanese being smarter, but it has everything to do with the fact that if you do not offer a product which gives the consumer quality for the money, you will not make a profit.

One of the most surprising things about Japan is there is no such thing as a tip. You are expected to do your job well. It's not like Toronto where you get crap service, ok products and are still expected to give a 15% tip.

Japan isn't some Utopia, but it is definitely a very unique and high quality society, especially for men.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Quote:

Mission of God? Yikes, talk about too much ado.. all I'm saying, as others have concurred, is that one needs to rely on more than a "100% made in Japan" sticker on his bulbs or muffler or whatever before making a potentially unwise cash investment. (see the most recent post about the TRD sway bar callback). There are ten million companies manufacturing both good and bad parts: don't assume that a product made in any country is better than another automatically for that reason exclusively.
I guess once again, it's every consumer for himself...go ahead, invest in that "JDM" Chevy truck part
Old 08-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

I believe we can all safely assume, and with good reason, that the "made in Japan" label generally equates to a superior product. This isn't an opinion; it's a fact!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
The only thing I have to add to the quality control and higher quality, more reliable product is that nearly every Japanese corporation received major government funding to stay in business. The Japanese government has an active interest in ensuring only quality products leave Japan - they effectively have an investment in all major Japanese corporations. To them, the products leaving Japan represent Japan as a whole. They also have an interest in an economic war with several countries of the world, but thats all politics I'm sure no one is interested in.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #16
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
WOW something I actually agree with Pavel with... I think those are the first coherent words I have ever seen you type
What? Someone agrees with me? This is not good...I was hoping to be the lone wolf with the wierd ideas....are you sure you're not just tired, or drunk, or something? Low blood suger?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #17
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompanyXPaladin View Post
The only thing I have to add to the quality control and higher quality, more reliable product is that nearly every Japanese corporation received major government funding to stay in business. The Japanese government has an active interest in ensuring only quality products leave Japan - they effectively have an investment in all major Japanese corporations. To them, the products leaving Japan represent Japan as a whole. They also have an interest in an economic war with several countries of the world, but thats all politics I'm sure no one is interested in.
This is patently not true. In Japan, Nikon, Canon, Mitsubishi will sink or swim on their own. Sure the government facilitates, and is there to do what it can, but I assure you, the Japanese government does not subsidize companies there as standard policy. Their commerce department fights for those companies sure, but to keep exports flowing, and making sure they're treated fairly by other countries, which is a far cry from subsidizing. From their point of view, a company has to stand on it's own feet, sink or swim....some call this "tough love"...and can be applied to raising kids, for that matter....your kid gets locked up for DUI, DON'T bail him out....doing so only hurts him, his future....so goes it with Honda, Toyota and other Japanese firms....

The US Government is selling us all out. Who is there for the working man? The professional guy? Nobody....greedy corporations would rather take our jobs and send them off shore....it's capitalism gone awry...they forgot about us "family" members....mom and dad give the job's in their store to outsiders, and their kids go wanting....but hey, nothing personal, right? Just business. :-(

I'm all for open economies, free trade and all that, but within limits, within a time frame....the jet blast of off shoring is too much too soon, causing a shock to us American working people....open up markets but do it slow, with limits, and over a reasonable time frame....

About Japanese....it may come as a shock to many of you, but the truth is, American workers are more productive then their Japanese counterparts, even as our quality is less....talk about a paradox....
Old 08-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
What? Someone agrees with me? This is not good...I was hoping to be the lone wolf with the wierd ideas....are you sure you're not just tired, or drunk, or something? Low blood suger?
Hey..... I never agree with you Pavel.... tell you the truth I don't like 99.9% of what you come up with.... but this must be that 0.1%, that whole paragraph was dead on... I actually preached the same thing in an earlier thread