Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Axle Play at Transmission...Seeking Opinions

This question is in regard to my 2008 LS. I'm getting an unsettling 'throbbing' or vibration at speeds over, say 40 - 50 km/h, more obvious at higher speeds and it gets worse on dips in the road on the highway under moderate to heavy loads and especially when climbing hills. The more torque on the drivetrain, the more rough the vibration becomes. If I let off on the throttle, the vibration stops. I've checked all wheel balances, supsension components etc. Other than the movement at the transmission, the axles seem fine, with no sloppiness or play whatsoever. There is no clicking from the joints while turning. I have no ATF leaking, so the seal is good, but could there be an issue with the ouput shaft? Or could this just be a bad axle?

Can you please check out my video and let me know if what you see seems like excessive play? Obviously, there should be play in and out as the axle has to slide in and out on the spline, but it's the up and down movement that has me concerned. I'm going to put my '06 Yaris up on the hoist and see if it has similar play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5tQxjL9hb4

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsVejP4XY78

Thanks.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-18-2018 at 07:38 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote