Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Car clunks instead of starting up

Hi folks,
I never had a problem with starting up my 2007 2SZFE Yaris. Until today.

The situation was a bit specific though - I put the ingition key and turned to "position I" - where the dashboard lights go on but the starter does not start to revolve.
Before I was able to move to "position II" my phone started to ring so I let the car in "position I" and answered the phone. It took maybe 2-3 minutes, then i turned off the phone and moved the key to "position II".

At this moment I expected the starter to engage but it did not happen. I only heard strong CLUNK sound (like when two pieces of metal hit each other) but nothing else, no attempt to revolve with the engine. I returned back to "Position I" and then tried "position II" once again - with the same behavior.

So I moved the key to "Position 0 - ignition off", wait five seconds and went to "position I" and after like 5 seconds moved to "position II". Starter engaged immediately and started up the engine smoothly.

Is this expected behavior? I have never tried to let the car sit in "position I" for so long so maybe the computer thinks "something is wrong" and does not allow to start the engine? I do not think I have the balls to try it once again, just to see if it happens again or not.... I was in quiet underground empty parking lot and the sound there was loud AF, not to mention that my family members inside to car started to get quite upset, the whole situation looked like in C-level horror movie, only the clown with a chainsaw was missing...

Thanks for any intel on this.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
bob225

Drives: Yaris
more than likely the imobliser kicked in, or your battery is a bit weak (where the lights and/or heater on) the cold weather with kill a weak battery
bob225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 PM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Battery should be OK, the car starts great in -15 deg. C and during the time the problem happened the car was sitting in the underground garage just for about 20 minutes, the engine was still nicely heated.
But the imobiliser may be the cause here. I hope.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote