Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
kenora

Drives: 2009 Yaris LE 5 dr
Wind whistle from front windsheild

I was cruising around the perimeter highway last night at about 90 kph (55 mph) and noticed a steady whistle coming from the front window. There was a small headwind so my "airspeed" would be closer to 100 kph (60 mph).

I have only had the 5 door for a month or so and don't do a lot of highway driving but WTF, it was loud and annoying enough to make me very unhappy and surely the speed I was going can't be enough to cause some weird whistle can it?

I searched before I posted and couldn't find any answers so I was wondering if this is a common issue or unique to my little white hamster.

btw the noise goes away at about 80 kph and my factory stereo needs to be at 40 or higher to drown out the whistle.

Last edited by kenora; 04-09-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: shi..y speeeling
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
la_scanner

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenora View Post

I was cruising around the perimeter highway last night at about 90 kph (55 mph) and noticed a steady whistle coming from the front window. There was a small headwind so my "airspeed" would be closer to 100 kph (60 mph).

I have only had the 5 door for a month or so and don't do a lot of highway driving but WTF, it was loud and annoying enough to make me very unhappy and surely the speed I was going can't be enough to cause some weird whistle can it?

I searched before I posted and couldn't find any answers so I was wondering if this is a common issue or unique to my little white hamster.

btw the noise goes away at about 80 kph and my factory stereo needs to be at 40 or higher to drown out the whistle.
this wont be related to your problem. however i noticed shortly after i got yaris that the front window is not completely sealed on the bottom. and it doesn't seem to be becuase of the rubber thing that goes around. seems as if its actually not shaped correctly or somethings out of place. will have to take a photo and post.
la_scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
windshield leak check for the rubber seals around it.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Make sure window is closed completely and nothing is jammed.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
mchllp925
Darrin

Drives: 2008 yaris le h/b
Was there a cross wind coming across your car?Sometimes that could make the noise.
mchllp925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
kenora

Drives: 2009 Yaris LE 5 dr
All the windows were closed (I checked), I switched from heat to vent to windshield heat to recirculate etc etc and no changes, possibly a bit of a crosswind but the route I took involved going south then west then north so it should have canceled out somewhere in there and no change to the damn whistle. I called the dealer and they said they would have a look when I brought it in for an oil change in a couple of weeks. I'll report back with the results.
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
mchllp925
Darrin

Drives: 2008 yaris le h/b
Oh well, it was a thought.
BTW, which dealer?
mchllp925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
othater

Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
The dealer replaced the rubber seal around the front window under warranty and now I hear other wind noises around the door, rattles in the plastic etc.
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Shadowbeast

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Question my 07 did the same thing...

I was told that due to the type of pedal the yaris uses (electronic something or other) that it doesn't close the throttle all the way when "cruising" creating a whistle sound. Does it happen when the pedal is not depressed or also when depressed?

I may be completely wrong though
Shadowbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
CueBall
Ruler of the free world

Drives: 09 Yaris 2D HB
Bump.. old thread but that why we search, right?
Anyway, I have a whistle just as discribed in the first post. About 65mph to 85mph. I cant seem to pinpoint it. It does seem to come from the front left area of the windshield. Does not whistle at slower speeds. I rolled the driver window down and I can still hear it so I'm thinking maybe something outside? Does anybody else have this issue? Did anyone above find out what the cause of this was?
'09 3-door
CueBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
i have a whistle when driving at 120 km/h. I'm sure its the crosswinds blowing through the windshield wipers.
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
CueBall
Ruler of the free world

Drives: 09 Yaris 2D HB
Update: I have tried taping off items such as wipers, grille emblem, even around the winshield with painters tape with no luck. It is NOT the wipers. I have mostly decided I'm going to have to live with this whistle, as I do not want even more noises as Othater has described.
However, After much wet weather in my area recently, I have noticed it DOES NOT whistle after a good rain. The water is changeing/sealing somthing. This has re-kindled my intrest in getting this fixed. I'm leaning towards an entire winshield replacement.
Has anyone else experienced this whistle? Or know of a cure?
CueBall is offline   Reply With Quote