Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Is there any product that can help reduce engine noise into the cabin?

I've eliminated most sources of sound into the cabin, but the engine remains a loud source, especially at higher RPM.

I was wondering if there's any product, generic or yaris specific, for covering/creating a more solid sound barrier under the hood? I've seen under the hood of Audis and BMWs; they have large strong shields over the top of the firewall and engine, in addition to the firewall itself. Have anyone tried making something similar for the Yaris?

swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
hotrod
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 yaris sedan
http://www.dynamat.com/
hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
swidd

I should have mentioned that I've already laid down mat in the car. I have dynamat-equivalent material on the hood, front footwells and doors and floor etc. Engine sound is still present to a small but noticeable degree.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I should have mentioned that I've already laid down mat in the car. I have dynamat-equivalent material on the hood, front footwells and doors and floor etc. Engine sound is still present to a small but noticeable degree.
Did you do the fire wall? That is where most of the sound will come through.
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
You can order the insulation for under the hood . That could help as well .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
swidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJacks716 View Post
Did you do the fire wall? That is where most of the sound will come through.
Where would I do this? I did the front foot wells, as high up as I was able to. I thought that would cover most of the firewall?

Or should I do the firewall from the side of the engine?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Spray sound deadener in the wheel wells. This will make a BIG difference in cutting road noise (and some engine vibration/noise as well). Toyota didn't put much of anything on those surfaces.

I would not try to deaden the firewall from the engine side, just my opinion.

You sure you don't have some engine problem? Should be pretty quiet, especially if you haven't added any intake/exhaust modifications.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
swidd

I hope I don't :-) I've already put some rubber coating in the wheel wells, but it may have worn off since its over a year ago.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I hope I don't :-) I've already put some rubber coating in the wheel wells, but it may have worn off since its over a year ago.
It is probably still there, I wore it on the front of my bumper for 2 years, and it never came off. If you placed it as high as you could in the foot wheel there isn't much more you can do. I'm not sure how flammable it is, so I wouldn't put it on the engine side of the firewall, but if you want to go nuts you can pull off the dash and continue up on the foot wells.
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:26 AM   #10
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
can you recommend some specific spray brand or link ?
thank you
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Some science

There are primarily two types of noise you hear in your car: Sounds produced outside the cabin (e.g. your engine, other cars, yelling children...), and sounds produced by the resonance of your car's body. Each is blocked in a different way, so be certain of which noise you are trying to eliminate.
If it really is your engine, the only way to create a sound barrier is with mass. More mass = less noise transmitted. It's as simple as that. That's why dynamat and similar products are. Probably the most massive option would be lead sheets, but everyone stopped using those years ago when we realized they caused cancer. The next best option is mass-loaded vinyl. You can get it in varying densities, I've seen up to 2 lb / square foot. It really doesn't matter what product you use, as long as it is massive and flexible enough to conform to your car.
Now you have to figure out where to put it. That's more tricky. I'm guessing that if you already did the usual surfaces (doors, floor, roof), you might benefit from coating the firewall directly. You need to remove the entire dashboard and then you'll see it. Be careful to make seams very neat.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #12
winfong

Drives: VIOS Belta
ear plugs..... Muhahahhaa
winfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Hell, I have the opposite problem in that I can't hardly hear the engine at all! And I'll be damned if I will take a chance on some aftermarket bellowbox to help with the problem and annoy the neighbours...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
full volume Heavy Metal should do the trick.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #15
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
full volume Heavy Metal should do the trick.
That's what I use.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I saw this stuff at the hardware store. It comes in a spray can with an applicator straw. If you remove the center gauge cluster that will give you a nice big access hole. all you do is spray the stuff in the direction of the fire wall and it magically expands into a foam that hardens into an insulation barrier. The beauty is it conforms to any surface and should go a long way to getting rid of any hard to locate dash rattles too. Warning DO NOT get it on the outer dash surface or your clothes.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #17
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
That can certainly help with rattles and resonance noise. But how much does it weigh? I'm guessing the entire can probably weighs as much as one square foot of MLV, which means it can't stop outside sound from getting in. Sound barrier = mass.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Spray foam also is highly flamable......and honestly the MLV is the best way to rid sound on the firewall,also put extra on the path of the exhaust on the floor boards....yaris is a noisy car....it resonates inside...especially when you take all the panels out....but that is a great way to find the resonance,all a little each day to differant parts and see if the sound changes,also put it on the back side of the interior panels as they resonate moise too.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote