Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2014, 02:50 AM   #1
UnseenK

Drives: Yaris '09 White Sedan
Battery terminal acid damage

Hey guys, you guys helped me with my battery problem not too long ago which I believe I took too long to acknowledge and have suffered the consequences (tons of corrosion). Basically, my car won't start now and I'm sure it's because of these rusted terminals on my cars batteries which is shown in the first picture. The battery was tested and it is in good shape.

The second picture is just a different angle, you can see the cable or whatever it's called connecting to the terminals looks like it's in pretty bad shape because of some corrosion so it probably needs to be replaced too.

http://i.imgur.com/x1ByBr0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ffXm7Uo.jpg

Anyways, what do you guys think would be the best route to approach with this? Should I just get oem parts from Toyota and have them installed at Toyota/local auto shop or should I just go to Autozone or something and have them order/install it? And what are the part numbers if I go the oem route?

I can't do it myself sadly, I don't really have the proper tools. Thanks for any help I can get guys, this has been a huge pain, I've gotten 5 jumps in the last 2 days haha.
UnseenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
From the picture it looks like the positive battery terminal fuse block assembly (that black plastic area) should be replaced and possibly the cable that connects before the block. There are also two large connectors under the bottom of the back of the black block that may be corroded as well. The parts, and potentially cables, needed are all Toyota specific, so Autozone won't be able to help you. You will need to go to the Toyota parts department. I would have someone check it out before you start ordering though, as the cable harnesses can be crazy expensive.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
corrosion

Of course all the corrosion may your problem but then again, have you tested your battery? IMHO, If you are getting successful jump starts, then I think it would be more like your battery.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
^ you obviously don't read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenK View Post
The battery was tested and it is in good shape..
Question perhaps CTScott can answer.. What is this crazy terminal OP have? mine does not look like that..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
^ you obviously don't read.

Question perhaps CTScott can answer.. What is this crazy terminal OP have? mine does not look like that..
The part that goes over the battery post is an aftermarket clamp. That section unbolts from the black part, so with the initial corrosion that must have been replaced.

Another note to the O.P. - You should really neutralize whatever acid is still there. You can do so using a paste of baking soda and water.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Norkotik

Drives: Yaris
Does anyone know the part # for the positive battery terminal fuse block assembly??
Norkotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
screenprinter

Drives: 2010 Yaris 4-door Sedan
I don't know, but in my old Camry, I had to replace the Positive cable to fix my Acid build up, and car not starting. One symptom was the car wouldn't start, and another was it set off the alarm.
screenprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkotik View Post
Does anyone know the part # for the positive battery terminal fuse block assembly??
For 06-11 the part number for the positive terminal fuse block assembly is: 82620-52050

The terminal is separate. If you need that as well, the part number is: 90982-05054