Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #55
Hank Corbett

Drives: 2008 3Door HB White
I have the same problem with my 2008 Yaris. Last summer was the first time I noticed the condensatation dripping onto the passenger side floorboard and the "water noise" whenever I made a turn. I took it to my dealer and they said a dirt dauber nest had clogged the drain hose. Fine, no problem for the rest of the season. Now, the first time I used my A/C this spring, the exact same leak returned. I searched the web and discovered that others are having the same trouble with their Yaris. Someone posted the pics of the drain hose under the floor matt and how to ream it out. I did that just now and got the excess water to drain out of the box. I used a ground wire from some Romex I had in my garage to poke up into the hose (apprx. 9 inches into hose and I rounded the tip by bending it back to keep from puncturing the rubber). Turned on the car and the A/C until condensation started dripping freely.....fixed!! I am keeping the carpet pulled up until the pad dries completely because it is starting to smell rank. I took out the door to my glove box, which was stuffed with manuals and what-not as well as a polishing mitt, which, I suspect, was being sucked into the air flow whenever the A/C was circulating. I have emptied the box and will keep my manuals in the upper compartment on the dash from now on to facilitate air flow. I hope this keeps thing operating smoothly. Thanks to the Yaris forum for providing valuable knowledge and tips.

Hank
Hank Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #56
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
For all you guys having this problem, if you don't resolve it in short order you may short the circuit breaker type fuse for the blower motor when it gets too wet. If your A/C suddenly looses 1-3 fan speeds, leaving you with max(4) only and your carpet is wet, it's most likely that fuse. The fuse is attached to the bottom of the blower, and about the size of a playing card. I had to fix this problem when I first bought my car...looked like somebody put some paper towels down to absorb the water and the wet paper towel tripped it, or it could have been the carpet itself.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg

Last edited by mazilla; 05-25-2011 at 02:23 PM.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #57
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
Guys, and nobody tried to unscrew the bottom of the evaporator for further cleaning ?
MickZEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #58
DaveTFL
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris "S" 4D
So glad I found this site. A lot of good info. I have had this problem and eventually the blower would slow down or completely stop. Toyota replaced the blower. Now about a year later these symptoms have returned. The blower started first by making a noise like it was hitting something. Also the classic sloshing noise on left turns, and the blower speed (was on 4) would slow and when I came out of the turn and going straight again would run again at high. Later the symptoms got worse and would also slow down when stopping or accelerating, as it did last year. Now the blower does not run at all. Occasional it would come on briefly at 4 with just a trickle of cold air coming out. Removed the drain hose and found that it was clear. Ran a tie-wrap up into the unit and no clogs has been found. Water does not drain. Perhaps it has already leaked out as the carpet and pad are saturated with water. Pulled up the carpeting on the passenger side to allow pad, etc to air dry. Could not find the circuit breaker fuse referred to by mazella. As I said I had this problem before and Toyota replaced the blower and all was well. Has this water backup damaged the blower again? Is the clog now gone? Ran the 8 inch cable tie the entire length into the unit without getting any water out. Other than having the dealer replace the blower, AGAIN, and handing Toyota more $ for this issue, any other suggestions?
DaveTFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #59
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTFL View Post
So glad I found this site. A lot of good info. I have had this problem and eventually the blower would slow down or completely stop. Toyota replaced the blower. Now about a year later these symptoms have returned. The blower started first by making a noise like it was hitting something. Also the classic sloshing noise on left turns, and the blower speed (was on 4) would slow and when I came out of the turn and going straight again would run again at high. Later the symptoms got worse and would also slow down when stopping or accelerating, as it did last year. Now the blower does not run at all. Occasional it would come on briefly at 4 with just a trickle of cold air coming out. Removed the drain hose and found that it was clear. Ran a tie-wrap up into the unit and no clogs has been found. Water does not drain. Perhaps it has already leaked out as the carpet and pad are saturated with water. Pulled up the carpeting on the passenger side to allow pad, etc to air dry. Could not find the circuit breaker fuse referred to by mazella. As I said I had this problem before and Toyota replaced the blower and all was well. Has this water backup damaged the blower again? Is the clog now gone? Ran the 8 inch cable tie the entire length into the unit without getting any water out. Other than having the dealer replace the blower, AGAIN, and handing Toyota more $ for this issue, any other suggestions?

I have no idea as to what Mazilla is talking about with the under carpet circuit breaker (unless it was something added by the prior owner of his car), as no Yaris has such a thing from the factory.

The blower resistor, which is a metal package with a 4 pin connector, is attached it the bottom of the blower housing. It has an internal fuse, which if blown will only allow the blower to run on the highest setting. If the fan will only run on high, then that fuse is blown and the blower resistor needs to be replaced.

If the fan will not run on any setting, including high, then the fan motor may be bad or either the 40A HTR fuse or the 10A GAUGE fuse may be blown.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #60
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I have no idea as to what Mazilla is talking about with the under carpet circuit breaker (unless it was something added by the prior owner of his car), as no Yaris has such a thing from the factory.

The blower resistor, which is a metal package with a 4 pin connector, is attached it the bottom of the blower housing. It has an internal fuse, which if blown will only allow the blower to run on the highest setting. If the fan will only run on high, then that fuse is blown and the blower resistor needs to be replaced.

If the fan will not run on any setting, including high, then the fan motor may be bad or either the 40A HTR fuse or the 10A GAUGE fuse may be blown.

I was talking about the blower resistor...I forgot it was attached to the blower and not the floor board directly behind it. It was the first day I got the car, sorry for the confusion. :)

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #61
jward1366

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
2009 leakin yaris

I went round and round with the toyota service manager about this same problem of water dripping from under the dash and soaking my carpet. He had the nerve to try and make me believe there was some sort of neglect on my part when this is clearly a Toyota defect. Seriously considering hiring a lawyer.
jward1366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #62
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jward1366 View Post
I went round and round with the toyota service manager about this same problem of water dripping from under the dash and soaking my carpet. He had the nerve to try and make me believe there was some sort of neglect on my part when this is clearly a Toyota defect. Seriously considering hiring a lawyer.
Water dripping onto carpet from passenger side is because the drain pipe is clogged with dirt or leaves. You need a thin piece of pull carpet back and slide the wire through the rubber hose. You will probably see water dump out on ground
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #63
jward1366

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
leakinn yaris

oh i know how to fix it i just resent fixin what toyota oughta be fixin
jward1366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #64
bankrobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jward1366 View Post
oh i know how to fix it i just resent fixin what toyota oughta be fixin
Got ya on that. Mine did it twice but out of warranty. I was parking under an Oak tree at my house but has not done it again. My last truck had same problem but had rubber floors so never fixed it. It use to get a puddle in the passenger floor lol.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #65
nopk

Alright, so I'm having this problem too.

I've pulled off the drain hose, and I'm not seeing anything blocking it.

I tried sticking a wire into the air box it connects to, but it wouldn't go in.

I actually saw the condensation dripping from the white plastic components directly below the glove box.

Can anyone help?

For the record: I had my windshield replaced just before this happened. That could have had something to do with it? I had the windshield resealed and it's not leaking.
nopk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #66
Matthewces
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris T3 2007 D-4d
I had this problem last week. If your car is RHD just remove the carpet from under the passengers seat, and pull back the insulation from under the dash, you will see a black rubber pipe going from behind the dash to the floor. Now start squashing it so if the is sludge obstructing it, it just moves along, if you manage you'll hear the the water draining under the car. If this doesn't work you have to pull it out, BUT you have to keep your finger on the opening behind the dash or you will ruin your carpeting. Once you removed the pipe just blow compressed air though it until its clean. Then just assemble everything as it was. The longer you leave it not draining the more you risk ruining your compressor unit. IF you go to your dealer they will still charge you for the work (cause its a serviceable item thus not falling under warranty).
Matthewces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #67
nopk

Scott de la CT sorted me out. I think I may have it working. I'll post if it did.
nopk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #68
maximapitko

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan 5spd
Same problem here. There is a TSB that calls for updated cowl (sp?) design available through the dealer.
maximapitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #69
VTekFan33
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Same issue

Looks like Toyota still hasn't fixed this issue!
I see most posts are for the '07 & '08 models. Mine is the '09 and I began having this issue yesterday.

Thank God for this site! I'm going to clean it out either today or tomorrow before it gets any nastier. Only good thing is that I have plastic floor mats down over my regular mats!
VTekFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #70
painta176

Drives: yaris 1.3 zinc
Ours is doing it too, followed everyone's advice and let it drain. It was easy to get to and only took 15 mins.
Take off the glove box by opening and squeezing both sides, pull back carpet from passenger footwell at the centre side of the car, you will see a short rubber hose. Pull it off both ends and put your finger over the hole.
blow the hose out, it gets blocked from road debris. Plug it back on and let the system drain. Job done.
painta176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #71
formulation

Drives: 2010 Yaris 4dr LB Blazing Blue
I had an '08 LB and presently have a '10 4 dr LB. I installed the cabin air filter within a month of purchase on both vehicles. Never had a problem with either. (My daughter has the '08 now). Toyota should at the very least recommend the cabin filter. I keep manuals and maps in the glovebox, just no loose stuff (paper napkins, receipts, etc). I am not defending Toyota, but as with any vehicle you spend money for, you should research and know about the vehicle. YarisWorld has been an excellent source of information since my '08 was new (cabin air filter, intermittent wiper mod, etc).
formulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #72
PennyNickledime
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Toyota yaris
Same thing here. Only, I bought the platinum warranty. So, I'm still covered. However, they are saying this isn't a "mechanical defect" and suggested I call my insurance agency and make a claim. I did so and they laughed in my face. I'm in the process of contacting higher ups to get this pushed through as a warranty fix.

I asked the mechanic if there was ANYTHING I could have done to prevent this clog from happening or to have caught it sooner. They told me there was NO way I would have known to check the air box and the only warning signs were the left turn noise and the water, which was what I brought it in on. If there is no routine maintenance to prevent it and there are no warning signs until full car flooding, then how is this not a manufacturers defect?

Jeep had a similar problem with their air boxes and had a recall. My dad had to have his taken in and they drilled a hole and put a valve midway through the line for added drainage.

All I know is someone in the warranty division is about to know me on a first name basis REAL soon. I am NOT paying 1500 bucks to have my car gutted and the entire interior replaced over some tiny clogged hose.
PennyNickledime is offline   Reply With Quote