Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Ground wire kits, please leave your feedback or review if its worth it

So I was thinking about getting a ground kit. They round about 20 bucks on ebay. Mainly as a engine dress up item. But curiouse if they really do much. I guess if you have a high powered stereo system they would help a bit.

Anyone who has done this mod either thier own diy one or ebay one. Could you please comment on the results. Does it really seem to make a difference. Realisticly

I dont expect it to make the car idle better, run smoother, and transmission shift better.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
not worth $100

definitely worth going to the audio place and picking up some wire and grounding from your alternator to your battery..

$5-20 bucks in parts..

edit.. ebay kits for $20? probably shitty wire
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
YarisSedan

That what iw as thinking about doing. Making my own kit. I wanted to use a dark grey wire. The ebay ones only come in fancy red or blue anyways.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
That what iw as thinking about doing. Making my own kit. I wanted to use a dark grey wire. The ebay ones only come in fancy red or blue anyways.
make sure to:

1. use gold plated copper connectors
2. shrink tube each end. exposed wires will allow moisture to get in the wire and corrode. electricity travels on the outside of the wire, so corrosion will make these useles
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
newyar

Drives: Yaris Liftback 2008
Having just installed one (this morning), I can say I'm rather amazed at just how much difference it actually makes. To be honest I wasn't really expecting much but the kit I got was fairly cheap so I figured it was worth a shot.

I took my time to think about what should be grounded and where; I only put grounds on 3 points so far but what a difference it's made. I put a ground wire on the throttle body housing, the alternator bracket and the computer bracket on the firewall. I figured those 3 areas are the ones that need voltage stability the most.

The results? I noticed it immediately when I started the car; the engine idles silky smooth and it's noticeably quieter. In fact if I couldn't hear the engine running I'd be hard pressed to tell if it's even on. It made that much of a difference. There's no vibration now through the pedals...it's kind of eerie actually.

When driving I can't feel any power difference; if there are any gains in this area it's not enough to feel. What I did notice was how smooth and quiet the engine runs now. It definitely runs quieter which is something I didn't expect. I even turned the A/C on which usually causes a little bit rougher idle but I couldn't tell any difference with it on or off. Idle is smooth no matter what; when running with the A/C on, the engine is still smooth, stable and quiet; you just can't feel it running through the pedals. It's almost like I'm driving a sewing machine now.

I'm looking forward to seeing what difference this makes in mileage if any, but even if it doesn't I'm sold just on what it does to smooth things out. For less than $20 this is WELL worth it.
newyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyar View Post
Having just installed one (this morning), I can say I'm rather amazed at just how much difference it actually makes. To be honest I wasn't really expecting much but the kit I got was fairly cheap so I figured it was worth a shot.

I took my time to think about what should be grounded and where; I only put grounds on 3 points so far but what a difference it's made. I put a ground wire on the throttle body housing, the alternator bracket and the computer bracket on the firewall. I figured those 3 areas are the ones that need voltage stability the most.

The results? I noticed it immediately when I started the car; the engine idles silky smooth and it's noticeably quieter. In fact if I couldn't hear the engine running I'd be hard pressed to tell if it's even on. It made that much of a difference. There's no vibration now through the pedals...it's kind of eerie actually.

When driving I can't feel any power difference; if there are any gains in this area it's not enough to feel. What I did notice was how smooth and quiet the engine runs now. It definitely runs quieter which is something I didn't expect. I even turned the A/C on which usually causes a little bit rougher idle but I couldn't tell any difference with it on or off. Idle is smooth no matter what; when running with the A/C on, the engine is still smooth, stable and quiet; you just can't feel it running through the pedals. It's almost like I'm driving a sewing machine now.

I'm looking forward to seeing what difference this makes in mileage if any, but even if it doesn't I'm sold just on what it does to smooth things out. For less than $20 this is WELL worth it.
I'm sold!
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
What kit is this and is there a diy on doing it yourself? I would definitely rather take control of the cable choice myself.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
ruimond

Drives: Yaris YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki View Post
What kit is this and is there a diy on doing it yourself? I would definitely rather take control of the cable choice myself.
There is a DIY Grounding Wire Kit Guide from awhile back:

Have a look here, it shows the points that the guy used as well.

Link: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=diy+grounding

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
ruimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
newyar

Drives: Yaris Liftback 2008
The kit I got is sold on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-B...1%7C240%3A1318

As for a DIY it's pretty basic how you connect one. I'm still working on mine; I think I'm going to add another ground point to the A/C compressor. I'll take some photos once I'm done and post them online.
newyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Royal purple tested this on a acura integra i think. Dynotest showed 1/2 horsepower gain after.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Creeper

Drives: Silver 2DLB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Creeper
from my experiance engine idle'ed smoother and with the tb grounded it took away the press gas wait half a second a go delay which i was very happy about the gas pettel is much more responsive after TB is grounded
Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
captaincrunch
Chris

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Does one of the wire need to got to your starter? The grounding kit replaces your whole stock negative cable right?
captaincrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i used a free BMW ground cable that comes as a battery disco switch from factory for shipping, and a set of 'punch' ends from best buy. so, total cost for me was about 6 bux and about an hour's time in trimming/cutting wires and installing

to me, i noticed a definite improvement in idle quality...could be just the ground disco'd from the engine for a short time possibly reset something...but i doubt it. i grounded from engine to firewall, and battery to OEM ground. it's ok, no problems, and about 5 minutes to install.

the cable going to the starter is power. the starter itself is grounded through bolts in the block.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
cruz-gsr

Drives: 08 Yaris Lift Back
garm has a good nrg kit for 39 shipped
Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Psychologically, it just feels good to have it in my Yaris. Dunno if it benefits at all.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=Groundwire
Old 04-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
captaincrunch
Chris

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Sounds good. I'm about to install my muffler this weekend. Although it isn't the correct thread, but I have a question. I have the stocked intake with the k&n filter. I want to get a CAI with k&n filter. I like the sound it makes, but do you think it will make much of difference than what i have now?
captaincrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
Can you put a grounding kit on the small Braille batteries?
goliath1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
I've been getting a real good Zap from my door when i leave the Car. Yesterday I felt the strongest zap yet and .... I still felt the numbness for a few minutes afterward.
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote