Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
revamping the DIY section

The DIY section is probably my favorite part of this forum. I love seeing all the ingenuity some people have and plan on doing many of the things posted here. The only problem is, the DIY manual is missing most of the DIYs, and searching for the exact thread you're looking for can be somewhat difficult and cumbersome. Also, good threads get buried under hundreds of routine questions, and may never be seen by someone who could use the information inside.

So what I'm suggesting is sub-forums inside of the DIY forum, where all the useful DIYs are compiled, and separated into groups - Exterior, Interior, Suspension, Brakes, Engine, Transmission, Stereo, Maintenance, etc. Users can request their DIY be moved, or the mods can move them as they see fit.

The DIY forum can still be used for asking questions about how to fix your car, and even posting DIYs, but I think this would help people find what they are looking for a lot easier. There could eventually also be sub-forums under each sub-forum - for example - lighting, electrical, gauges, seats and upholstery, could all be sub-forums under interior.

The sub-forums should all be locked from new threads, to keep users from cluttering them up, but users should still be able to respond to threads that have been moved by mods.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
You're definitely right about the Sticky that's missing a lot of members DIY's (update please!)
I often had to do several searches until I found something that I was looking for.
I think revamping sounds good, but adding more sub-forums may add more clutter.
I suggest that the title should include the "DIY" acronym at the beginning of the title so
when we do a search we can just type that in and all the DIY stuff will show up.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yeah vodkalush who was our special moderator in charge of organizing the DIY summary threads, has not been here in a long long time

I'm not sure how soon we could get sub-forums organized, but I'll see about updating the summary thread later tonight.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
You're definitely right about the Sticky that's missing a lot of members DIY's (update please!)
I often had to do several searches until I found something that I was looking for.
I think revamping sounds good, but adding more sub-forums may add more clutter.
I suggest that the title should include the "DIY" acronym at the beginning of the title so
when we do a search we can just type that in and all the DIY stuff will show up.
The only problem is people add DIY to lots of threads that don't have any DIY info in them... And when you search DIY in just the title right now it comes up with 4 pages. That's still a lot of looking, especially if you don't remember(or know) the exact title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
yeah vodkalush who was our special moderator in charge of organizing the DIY summary threads, has not been here in a long long time

I'm not sure how soon we could get sub-forums organized, but I'll see about updating the summary thread later tonight.
If the first post in the compilation thread was regularly updated and organized, that would be just as good as sub forums I guess. But even with all the threads in there its still missing some. With sub forums you could just go down the list moving everything you want, and not have to worry about missing anything.

There's a ton of useful information on this forum. As long as its easy to find I'll be happy :D
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
The only problem is people add DIY to lots of threads that don't have any DIY info in them... And when you search DIY in just the title right now it comes up with 4 pages. That's still a lot of looking, especially if you don't remember(or know) the exact title.
The "DIY" in the beginning of the title would be very helpful if you do this: Search>Advanced Search> (under Search by Keyword) type in "DIY", then right below that, select "Search Titles Only".
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
OK, I just finished compiling all the existing DIYs that I could find into the appropriate stickied thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365

If you see one that I missed, let me know!
If you post a new DIY, let me know! (and like Yarisugi mentioned, start the thread title with "DIY: ")

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
OK, I just finished compiling all the existing DIYs that I could find into the appropriate stickied thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365

If you see one that I missed, let me know!
If you post a new DIY, let me know! (and like Yarisugi mentioned, start the thread title with "DIY: ")
Wow man... looks good. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Thanks eTiMaGo! You are most helpful.