Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Help me with Auto-x

I am planning to auto-x my Yaris on the road coarse in NJ in the summer, but I'm worried about what rules I need to go by. From looking at the SCCA rulebook I'm worried about not being able to race/ confused about what class I would race in. This is the setup I'm planning on running:

Tokico Blues
AOE TigerTec lowering springs
Penguin 13mm rear hub spacers
TRMotorsports C1 15x8
Dunlop Drezza Star Spec 205/55R15
AFE Intake
NST lightweight pullys
NST Short shifter
DC Sports header
Nitto mid pipe
Tanabe Concept G exhaust
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
I am planning to auto-x my Yaris on the road coarse in NJ in the summer, but I'm worried about what rules I need to go by. From looking at the SCCA rulebook I'm worried about not being able to race/ confused about what class I would race in. This is the setup I'm planning on running:

Tokico Blues
TRMotorsports C1 15x8
AFE Intake
NST lightweight pullys
NST Short shifter
DC Sports header
Nitto mid pipe
Tanabe Concept G exhaust
If your mid-pipe does not have a cat you would be in FSP. If it has a cat you could run STX (you are bumped out of ST due to the wider than 7.5" wheels).
Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
They're not gonna "not let you race" unless there's something unsafe about your car*,so don't worry about that. The only question is what class you'll end up in. If you're not worried about that (and you really don't need to be for your first autocross), just go, run in whatever class they put you in, have fun and learn stuff.

* Worked tech at an autocross this weekend... found two cars with no battery tie-downs, one car with corded front tires, and one with a loose radiator... it's that kinda stuff that will keep you from running.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
haha... well that's good to know, I really don't care what class or place I end up in as long as I have fun and don't wreck my yaris
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Perfect attitude to have at your first autox. Just let everyone there know it's your first time. They very likely have a novice program or at least some informal manner of pairing you up with an experienced person in a similar car. Be sure to walk the course a couple times, with someone experienced if possible. Take ride-alongs if they are offered. Carry an instructor with you if one is available. You'll learn a lot and have a ton of fun, too!

Why are you waiting until the summer? Don't they have any autoxes near you before then?

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Quote:
haha... well that's good to know, I really don't care what class or place I end up in as long as I have fun and don't wreck my yaris
yea man just have fun, worry about classing later on. This is just my preference but I never liked SCCA classing, the way it is there always seems to be a dominent car type for each class so I never understood it. I drive an extra hour to do NASA events, I like their classing bcause it actually allows you to have freedom with what you do to your car. And the enviornment is much more friendly and less cut-throat, that is just from my experience though. It may differ from different parts of the country.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
^Agree. When in doubt about which class to run, H-Stock is always the best to start. We ran HS the first time just for fun, even though at least 3 of us were already modded for CST. Auto-X is complicated enough already, so it's best not to overthink it.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
Try to see if you can get an instructor to run with you. I had one go with me the last event and I learned a ton! Oh yeah...be prepared for a super adrenaline rush!

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
The problem is, once you get started you can never leave.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
If your mid-pipe does not have a cat you would be in FSP
The Nitto midpipe does not have a cat.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
ice-_-

Drives: 3dr
down in pa the yaris is under h class but the the suspension, header, lightweight pullys you'll most likely be in g class and all thats really in g class is hondas
ice-_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Zefoxe
¦µ¶Œ€♦åËÆ⌐š└╘○Å╝◙þ·▲

Drives: Scion xD
Send a message via AIM to Zefoxe
Quote:

Tokico Blues
TRMotorsports C1 15x8
AFE Intake
NST lightweight pullys
NST Short shifter
DC Sports header
Nitto mid pipe
Tanabe Concept G exhaust
like everyone said dont worry about it unless ur planning on entering the nationals by the end of the year. just enter ST if the guys who run it feel otherwise they'll tell u to change it, simple as that. looking forward to see what the yaris can do this summer :)

Coming 2010: Toyota iSt CK edition (CooperKiller) stay tuned
Zefoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Talking

What’s the class that the Yaris can dominate in anyway? I'm not looking on doing a TON of stuff to mine.... CAI, 15" Toyota alloys with good rubber, tanabe springs and axle back exhaust. I might do some more things but not much. I wonder what this would do to a "class" that I would be in and how competitive that class is in the DFW.
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
Dominate? Unless your Garm, dominate and Yaris don't belong in the same sentence. There are just too many other cars with more- power, handling, etc. I'm by no means a great autox driver, but I thought I would place better than bottom third, which is where I wind up. You'll probably run with Civics in the same class mostly- you may get lucky and have an xd cone muncher around. Even said, when the pax is figured in and the placement adjusted, you'll be amazed at what finished behind you- last time for me, a Carrera and a couple of BMWs
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
If a car dominates a class, IMHO, it is mis-classed. The whole point of classing is to create a level playing field. When one car seems to beat all others (as with the Cooper S in G-stock), its probably needs a bump. Of course, there are situations where there is a "preferred" car, but that's not the same. (Ex; the 89 Civic Si in ST is preferred, but others are competitive).

Back to the original thread, your midpipe puts you in FSP, as others have mentioned. If its an SCCA autoX, they probably want you to delcare what you've got to others in your class. As some have said, you can show-up and ask if you can be given an exception to run in ST or STX, but you'd be wise to run as a Novice, which means you will simply run against all novices (some competition) and your results will be indexed according to your appropriate class. This is more fun than running in FSP alone or against much better-prepared cars and seasoned drivers, and will give you a better idea of how you drive against similar experience-levels.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #16
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
If a car dominates a class, IMHO, it is mis-classed. The whole point of classing is to create a level playing field. When one car seems to beat all others (as with the Cooper S in G-stock), its probably needs a bump. Of course, there are situations where there is a "preferred" car, but that's not the same. (Ex; the 89 Civic Si in ST is preferred, but others are competitive).
The Cooper S was moved to DS for 2010.

What other cars are competitive in ST? At the 2009 Solo Natls every trophy (all 11) in ST went to the Civic Si - on top of that I believe that every one of them was a 1989. The top non-Civic in ST was in 31st place, a Celica. That is domination.

edit: my bad, 9th was a 1990 and 11th was a 1991, just the rest of them were 1989. lol

The ST winning Civic also picked up 3rd in STX.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #17
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

oh, the Yaris is a great H-stock car, but there are not many HS cars at most events, and if there is a Mini Cooper, you will probably get beat, assuming the other driver is at least as good as you. The Mini has so much better of a suspension design that it will beat an equal driver in a Yaris. If you were to max-prep a Yaris within the Stock rules, I don;t think there are any cars other than a Mini that you'd need to worry about.

Street Touring (ST) is a nice class for us,a nd your setup makes you reasonably-competitive in most clubs. Even if a national-level car is running, you're in the running for 2nd place. My car is not max-prepped, but is pretty good for a DD/autox combo, and I am almost always in the top 5 these days, class-wise. I've been running a second or 2 behind the fastest STS Miatas on 60-second courses so far this season, and ahead of the majority of Miatas and S2K's locally. I'm hoping to compete at the Houston Divisional just to see how I fare. I missed the recent National Tour event here, which would have been a nice comparison, even though I'd have been DFL against those guys. (Andy Hollis, etc.)
Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Yes, I was referring to the Cooper S regardign the class change, just didn't mention it. As for ST, I didn't realize the Si was the only car placing nationally. I find that there are several good cars in the Texas regions.